Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Lads have a look at twitter. 4 of the top 5 tending items are to do with Waterford!

Waterford have really brilliant Hurlers... real off the cuff players... who are expressing themselves thru their hurling.. there like a bunch of lads having the Craic the way they are playing the game... like Clare iN 2013 or Limerick at the moment..... I could watch Jamie Barron and Stephen Bennett all day. How is it only now we are seeing that guy fulfilling his potential??

Waterford could have been playing like this with years if it wasn’t for the guy on the sideline having such a dose of small man syndrome....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Jesus could we actually win an AI this time.. If its Limerick we'll likely be underdogs, if its Galway we will also be underdogs because they will have taken down Limerick..its scary to think..what if we win?

what if we dont? sure what harm, we have to beat the best to be the best, bring them on if we win its because we deserve to .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jesus could we actually win an AI this time.. If its Limerick we'll likely be underdogs, if its Galway we will also be underdogs because they will have taken down Limerick..its scary to think..what if we win?

We have as good a chance as 2017. Plus a lot of those players more mature and seasoned. And a guy in charge who'll have them ready with a plan and huge confidence.

I'm daring to dream!

We have as good a chance as 2017. Plus a lot of those players more mature and seasoned. And a guy in charge who'll have them ready with a plan and huge confidence.

I'm daring to dream!

Oh, I forgot. We'll probably play with forwards in the opposition half this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Oh, I forgot. We'll probably play with forwards in the opposition half this time.

Now that would be a plan that might work 😊😊😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Right.

You really should stop digging.

More possession, more scores, more turnovers won, greater distance covered over 74 minutes, more puckouts won.

Does this not equate to Waterford dominating the game? They were 7 points down at half time but still had the lions share of possession and created more scoring chances than Kilkenny - in the first half Waterford just didn’t convert them. I suggest you go and watch the game again because you obviously haven’t a clue.

Having watched second half for third time - talking about strength off of bench - Montgomery and Lyons in Particuler considering their age were unreal - tributes to Cahill for believing in these lads and more importantly getting them to believe in themselves

Motivator wrote: »
    More possession, more scores, more turnovers won, greater distance covered over 74 minutes, more puckouts won.

Does this not equate to Waterford dominating the game? They were 7 points down at half time but still had the lions share of possession and created more scoring chances than Kilkenny - in the first half Waterford just didn’t convert them. I suggest you go and watch the game again because you obviously haven’t a clue.

In fairness, I think someone who thinks Waterford dominated the first half should be the person watching the game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

In fairness, I think someone who thinks Waterford dominated the first half should be the person watching the game again.

I’m not repeating myself. Look at the statistics from the first half. Waterford did all the hurling but couldn’t score and ended up with 9 wides as well as gifting Kilkenny 2-3/2-4. Anyone with half a brain could see this. The scoreline flattered Kilkenny, have a look at their thread and it’ll tell you the same thing.

Well done folks and all the best in the final. I must say it was a joy to watch you tonight in that second half. To a man, ye were absolutely brilliant and had you started better you could have won the game by more. Fair play,

I knew when you landed Cahill and Bevans you were onto a winner. No more negative hurling, just good honest work-rate and all-out direct attacking hurling the way Waterford want to play and the way it should be played.
    Aussie Gleeson, Tadhg De Burca and Stephen Bennett were outstanding as was Jamie Barron.
    Imagine if ye had the likes of Padraic Mahony, Tom Devine and Shane Bennett back?

Go on and take it on Sunday the 13th. I'll be routing for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/bord-gais-energy-to-raise-20-000-for-focus-ireland/

Waterford Xmas jumpers going on sale Monday. Jesus this is a great feeling i knw its a different championship in a very different time of the year but Waterford are still in an All Ireland final. Pity the buzz will be very much different. I bet Up for the match will be on the Late Late show the Friday night. No big screen or open training session sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Congrats Waterford.

Savage second half performance.

As a tipp man, I can assure ye that Cahill and Bevans will leave no stone unturned in prepping for the final.

I really hope ye do it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Disappointing. Hard to see a win here.

I was feeling exact same at half time!

Fair play to all those outside our county with their congratulations especially the Kk lads - it means an awful lot to me and I am sure the ear of the supporters . Whoever we face in the final are going to be favourites but so it is - we are enjoying tonight.

For the final having followed Waterford for almost 50’years I would give anything to be there but I believe all the panel and their families should be there - after that I am happy to watch from afar. Tonight I am just so proud about our lads hard work, ability, honesty and discipline. It has turned what so far has been a disastrous year generally into a year of hope and belief - thank you
    Liam Cahill and to your management team and to your panel - Christmas has come early - UP THE DEISE

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tbh a lot of us are die hard Waterford supporters would have the hurling season on our thoughts all year round. This is something special esp after the fecked up year of 2020, a christmas All Ireland final something if you suggested a while back you would be laughed at. Going to be an exciting 2 weeks and lets hope our heartbroken cousins Mayo make the football final and we end our heartbreak together

All Ireland IC season with Christmas trees up how amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Delighted watching that 2nd half today, delighted with how we're going all year tbh. Hard to tell from watching it on the telly but every game out we seem to be looking better and better. The belief the players have shown in themselves this year and the positive brand of hurling they're playing is unrecognisable from the team that we had the last few years. The lads looked devoid of all confidence and were set up to stop other teams before, playing constipated hurling cos there wasn't the belief they could go and hurl.
    I think Fanning was on a hiding to nothing regardless last year but the man had the balls to take the job on when no one else wanted it to be fair to him, but the fear to go and play in case we got a hiding was still there from Derek's time.

Cahill and Bevans have none of that baggage and don't have the inferiority complex or PTSD the county at large seem to have. They're mad to get us to hurl and the boys are buying into that, it's fn brilliant to see lads backing themselves, encouraged to back themselves, forwards actually playing as phucking forwards but still fighting hard for each other and going for the jugular when there's goal chances on. They're not slow to make changes on the line either, they were ruthless enough hauling Dillon off after 18 odd minutes, but Montgomery was great when he came on so justified, great impact off the bench and more and more players putting their hands up, the drive to win and give everything is infectious and bringing the best out of these lads. Don't stop believing!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tbh a lot of us are die hard Waterford supporters would have the hurling season on our thoughts all year round. This is something special esp after the fecked up year of 2020, a christmas All Ireland final something if you suggested a while back you would be laughed at. Going to be an exciting 2 weeks and lets hope our heartbroken cousins Mayo make the football final and we end our heartbreak together

All Ireland IC season with Christmas trees up how amazing

Whoa there, hold on now :D

In fairness, If Mayo win ill (and its a strong possibility) ill wish them well in the final

It's nice to see well wished and messages from other counties support here too, that's as much a testament to how the team is playing and the entertainment they're giving as anything. If we were bludgeoning our way to 0-10 to 0-9 wins I doubt many people would want to see us go too far!

Whoa there, hold on now :D

In fairness, If Mayo win ill (and its a strong possibility) ill wish them well in the final

It would be good to see Tipp to the province proud but for the sake of the big ball game it would be better to see the Dubs stopped. Don't care who does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Ropaire wrote: »
    It's nice to see well wished and messages from other counties support here too, that's as much a testament to how the team is playing and the entertainment they're giving as anything. If we were bludgeoning our way to 0-10 to 0-9 wins I doubt many people would want to see us go too far!

I'd always cheer you on when you were under dogs over the years but now I cheer you on for another reason too and that's the enjoyable style of hurling you play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Ropaire wrote: »
    Been honest counties who are not spoiled with success will always have the netural backing, family links and going to college in WIT back in the day would be another reason for yours truly

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

South KK man here -

Congratulations to the Déise, brilliant performance this evening

All the best of luck in the final, hope ye win it.

It will be good for yerselves, good for the game we all love, good in these sh1tty times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

South KK man here -

It will be good for yerselves, good for the game we all love, good in these sh1tty times.

Decency of real KK hurling people not lost on us tonight. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

South KK man here -

We'll forgive you for ''those signs'' then... its a xmas All Ireland and we just put an end to Brian Cody it really is like all xmas's coming at once..but on serious note..thanks for the words and merry xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

We did it, we hurled like Waterford men, nuff said........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well done Waterford, that was a serious second half performance and a lot of demons were banished in the process. Better team by far on the day, and look like ye are going to keep improving. I really like the brand of hurling ye are playing under cahill as well.

As for kk I'm too pissed off with our performance to even join the post mortem on our own thread. Anyway I hope to God ye win it now, ye have the bit of belief there anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

What can one say. WOW. What a manager. Even if he started PTH2009 fullback the next day I wouldn’t question him 😂😂 roll on the 13th. After the year we’ve all had its some lift to be participating in the final. Let’s go and win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Absolutely over the moon with that performance and result, all the lads deserve huge credit. It’ll go down as one if, if not the most sweetest of victories. I’m sure most here including myself feared the worst when 7 or 8 down, I really didn’t think it was possible to claw it back but I was delighted to be proved wrong. Bennet, Lyons, Fagan, Aussie and Barron did untold damage. It was unbelievably satisfying seeing us pluck balls out of the air, something that KK always had over us in years gone by. The work rate too was savage, just goes to show if you’re willing to play like men possessed, you’ll never be too far off and Liam deserves huge praise for instilling that.

Two weeks now to recover and come up with a game plan to topple either Limerick or Galway but for now it’s just a wonderful feeling just having an AI final to look forward to, something we rarely experience. I don’t think we’ll get a better chance than this...

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Well done Waterford from a Cavan man, that was some performance in the 2nd half. Heat rate was going through the roof in the last 5 mins. Whilst I’d unlikely recognise him if I passed him in the street, I’m particularly delighted for Austin Gleason, he’s taken incredible stick this past few years. At full tilit he has everything, magical, unpredictable, hugely physical, skilful, a joy to watch.

Maybe, maybe on this year of the underdog, we might get to join ye on the top stage, in what will be a fantastic Christmas for the people of Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Took ages to fall asleep last night.

Woke up early.

Lads....how are we going to keep calm for two weeks.

Advertisement