Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Clubber TV and @MunsterGAA are delighted to announce that they have agreed a 3-year Media Rights Deal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I asked here previously who would be our third choice goalkeeper and got no replies. Still not sure who it would be.

Having watched most of the club championship I don't think there's anyone to come in who will make a huge impact. However I'd hope a few players will make a bigger impact this year. Reuban Halloran was good with DLS. Involved last year, particularly early when he was also with WIT and that seemed unfair. Then he didn't feature much.

Pádraig Fitzgerald deserves a chance, his issue is he looks best inside and that's where Dessie and Michael Kiely play normally. Fitzgerald stood out in a college game a few weeks ago too.

I was going to mention established players who I hoped would pick up from last year but considering how last year went that list was substantial. However one that jumps out is Peter Hogan. I'd felt he had plateaued a couple of years ago but he was exceptional in the club championship and I thought in unfavorable conditions and with some very close attention against St Thomas he stood up when not all the others around him did.

Sadly still no obvious sign of a mobile, tall, ball winning half forward. And when you can't retain ball up there it makes other lines on the pitch look worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I wonder will Fagan move back to half forward this year as there's a gap to fill with Aussie out. Agree on Pádraig Fitz and wonder will he become the regular free taker. Bennett can be 10/10 one day and 4/10 the next. It'd be good to have a steady 8 or 9 out of 10 free taker.

Looking forward to seeing the preseason and league games and see who gets tried out. It's always an exciting time where you're not too upset at losing and still have hope of days out in the sun to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With the new calendar the sun is barely coming out for the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Why can't Kiely do a job at half forward if Halloran is there?

Preseason as I call the league these days is so important not talking about winning the thing are getting to the latter stages. But at least learn a few things try a few things , thought this seasons campaign was a complete waste of time . As was mentioned here in the forwards somebody that can win the ball in the air and obviously that goes for other positions around the field . I don’t know what to expect from this manager and group to be honest but the very least can we learn something that will hold us in good stead going forward , whatever the results .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I’d say the sun barely comes out for you no matter what the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

That is a possibility. But Waterford only really have one player of that type in Kiely. We have a few inside forwards with good feet like Dessie and the two Fitzgeralds. We have quick guys who wouldn't be as tall like Hogan, Dunford and Prendergast. We have good strikers of the ball like Curran and Bennett. But no other big physical presence who can win his own ball, has a bit of a nasty streak and can finish goal chances. So if you take Kiely out you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Look how one dimensional our plan was against Cork last year, get it to Kiely. Then he went off and we had no idea what to do.

As another poster suggested Jack Fagan may move back up which adds work rate and physicality but he's not a like for like with Kiely. Also I'm not sure if Kiely has the engine a half forward needs these days.

For some reason Waterford have struggled to produce half forwards who can win ball since Séamus Prendergast, Dan Shanahan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I’d be inclined to agree with the comments above on Conor Gleeson and McNulty, I think those guys have more or less had their day. The Iarlaith Daly one concerns me. The fact he seems wishy-washy about whether he wants to commit, I really rate him and still very young this guy could be a pivotal player for us over the next number of years but wonder if he’s heart is in it. Seems a bit injury prone aswell

On the sponsorship thing the fact we haven’t got a shirt sponsor the intercounty season effectively commences in 2 weeks is a farce but do we expect anything different

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

DJ Foran. Big strong lad who can win his own ball & always gets a couple of points from play. I can't understand why he doesn't get more game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

He hasn't managed to stake a claim to be a starter in the 10 years since the minor All Ireland final win under multiple managers. He is certainly not the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

No reason why Kiely couldn't be played in the half forward line with Kevin Mahony as an option of a focal point inside but I do think Kiely is better close to goal.

Other options as big half forwards could be Jack Fagan, DJ Foran and Seán Walsh (FMW) but other than that, even after watching this year's club championship, you'd probably be looking at the status quo of Prendergast, Montgomery, Hogan, Curran, Dunford, Padraig Fitzgerald, Reuban Halloran with perhaps Kieran Bennett or Shane Bennett as options but none would be obvious puckout options airally, would all prefer collecting puckouts in space.

I think, once again, after looking at this year's club championship, the best goalie, full back, centre back and centre forward are all unfortuanately retired from intercounty hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Think it really depends on what Davy has planned for Billy Nolan - I made a post recently about this. Will we see him deployed outfield permanently? He showed what he could offer against Tipp and we’ve a solid option on goal in Shaun O’Brien so I think the question may be who will be the second choice keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Busy gaa January

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

God does not even know what Davy will do, but I would have Shaun O'Brien as the number one keeper. With de Bourca prone to injury, will he even be back this year, maybe he should be looking to play Billy Nolan at Centre Back or the plus one as Gavin Whelan calls it in his commentaries. This would mean that Davy should be looking for back up to O'Brien. I would go for Ballysaggart's Michael Ryan. He has proven himself to be a good keeper over the last few years. Would he be willing to give it his all however. It is hard for a back-up keeper knowing in most counties they wont get a game baring in the pre-league competitions and maybe in a league game where his side would be expected to win. Would there be need to have a second back up in the sides if they are not going to get a game and only putting expense on the County Board if a player is only there to train. Nolan would be there if there was need to bring in a third keeper if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Michael Ryan? Mid 20’s I’m sure.

I’d be surprised if he committed to it though. He’s a fine goalkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

The goalkeeper in a recent challenge game against Meath was from Mount Sion, can’t think of his name but it wasn’t Iggy

Happy Christmas and New year to all here

2023 wasn't our year but suppose we just have to keep it alive for 2024

Many happy returns here’s to a improvement in 2024

Seems Callum Lyons won't be back from Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

That would be a big blow if true. Was reported he was returning in January.

McNulty, both Gleeson’s def gone. Carthach & TdB likely to struggle to play any role this season. A lot of the extended panel from last year released which was surprising. Gavin Fives amongst those released which is a surprise given his form for Cappoquin this year. Iarlath Daly not committed for the season yet.

That would be a lot of players to be without given the low base we are coming from as it is.

Ian Kenny, Kieran & Shane Bennett returning would help, but they’ll be plugging gaps rather than additions now it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Mitchells33

Sean Clancy from Clonea is the 3rd choice keeper, plays outfield for club

Advertisement