Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Doubtful! Waterford City to Tralee is roughly 3 hours. Sixmilebridge to Waterford City about 2 hours. All considerable distances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What the significance of the 5/6 waterford lads being involved with Kerry….? Hardly that big of a deal…?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Is Briggs still there? Had heard he stepped away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Official line up

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good half

• Advertisement

Got out of jail but had some good play and nice to get the extra game in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,549 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some concern to hear Davy talking about all our focus on the first league game against Offaly. Would have thought the focus would have been on opening championship games

He also mentioned that we were without something like 13 players today who could be in the mix for starting in the championship

Majority league games are glorified friendlies these days , having said that the way our confidence is these days it was important we got over the line over 14 men today . We need to breed more Fitzgeralds at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

There was something lately where Queally said that all the focus last year was on Limerick in the first game and they felt they didn't do enough work on the other games and didn't have enough time after the Limerick game. Could be just trying to emphasise that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Were lucky to get the win in the end, Tipp were really on top for the last 20 minutes until the 3 late points but it was good to dig the win out considering that they had let a big lead slip with an extra man and were behind before getting the last 3 scores.

Have to learn to use the extra man to better effect considering they had the extra man against Limerick in last years championship as well and couldn’t make it count. Although they went short with the majority of puckouts, the balls into the forwards were still 60:40 at best and that can be blamed on forwards movement or the lack of options off the shoulder. Either way, the extra man needs to be utilised better as although Kieran Bennett played well as the free man, Tipp outscored Waterford in the 2nd half.

There weren’t as many changes made as Tipp who made 4 at half-time but Halloran got a great, important score near the end after being introduced.

Paudie Fitzgerald was once again excellent and Jack Prender again had an impact. Tom Barron is also doing quite well as is Seamus Fitzgerald. Mark Fitzgerald was full back and done well with Prunty on the wing and getting forward into the Tipp half on numerous occasions and even contesting our own puckouts. Kiely had a great battle with Breen on the edge of the square and could have had a penalty with a black card for Breen at the end of the first half but equally could have been red carded for striking back in the same incident, the ref decided to throw in the ball and book both players instead.

All the players worked hard and wouldn’t say any did themselves any harm but I do think a few who played today probably don’t have the hurling for intercounty level but good to see them get an opportunity.

Interestingly, sub goalie today was Scott Ryan of Mount Sion who I’m not sure has ever played senior club championship hurling.

Also worrying that the jerseys had no sponsor. Hopefully something sorted in the upcoming weeks as this is key income you would think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Good report but if they got rid of all these preseason tournaments i wouldn't miss them. I would gladly go straight to the league.

I don't think anyone loves them or treats them seriously. But sure it's something to go see and talk about. Don't matter a fiddler's fukk of course

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Whereas we mixed the good with the bad against Kerry, today we mixed the very good with the very bad. First half we did some lovely crisp off the shoulder hurling, second half we resorted to nonsensical sideways passing and persevered with working the ball into the right half forward position which repeatedly broke down and led to Tipp scoring opportunities.

We were well placed early in the second half to put up a big win but Tipp outfought and out hurled us to be by far the better team for much of the second half. Maybe we took the foot off the gas after going 9 points up but between the 47th and 55th minute Tipp outscored us 1-6 to 0-1. Of particular concern was when we changed form a long to short puck out we seemed to be in all sorts of bother.

Still there were positive signs during the first half and also a good sign that we fought back for the win after going behind late on. Some good patterns of play as opposed to the carnival of errors that marked our play this time last year.

I would have liked to see Ruben Halloran get more game time; he was excellent when introduced late on and showed some of the skill and aggression we badly need. I would have to disagree with the poster above, who said that Kiely had a good battle with Breen, same as the last day V Kerry Kiely was well beaten in nearly every duel with his man. On the 2 occasions he got in on goal, he made a mess of both, a petulant swing back negating a possible penalty and black card while on the second occasion he went to ground too easily. To be honest, I don't rate him at all and for a big man he has very little power. Id have Kevin O'Mahony ahead of him every time. Other than that I thought Bonnar while having a good physical presence and scoring a point I think his skill level is a bit below what is required. He cannot be faulted for effort, though. Outside of that there were a good few encouraging displays and in particular Padraig Fitzgerald was prominent again.

Footballers lost 3-18 to 1-7 at home to Clare in the McGrath Cup today. I hate to read too much into this pre-season competitions, but you would have to think it's unlikely we will win the Sam Maguire this year

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

There's an examiner article up where Davy says Stephen Bennett was advised to get surgery on his hip which would have ended his career but he's hoping to play on this year. Hopefully the guy will have a decent quality of life when he does finish playing.

Also hopefully Craig Morgan wasn't badly injured today. After the year he had he deserves a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

At least it’s a chance for management to have a look at a few new players. The league is short enough too and I think a big problem last year Davy went into championship not a clue what his best team was

Think it all started going bad season wise in the league last year seem to be no pattern to them like they were learning nothing . They better learn a lot more in this years outing .

I don’t believe I suggested any significance? I just added further detail to the original post.

I’m sure he was mentioned by commentators during the Waterford Kerry game, but they may have been referencing his prior role. Hadn’t heard he had stepped away but Burke is supposedly doing a lot of the coaching so that may suggest Briggs is no longer involved, or possibly involved but to a lesser degree.

wishing him all the best and hopefully see him playing soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

No confirmation yet re Morgan but I understand it was a precautionary move after he had received a knock to the head, if the chap didn't have bad luck he would have no luck!

Depressing to watch limerick v Clare tonight , limerick didn’t even have to get out of first gear to win .

'Division 1a in 2025 will consist of

• Top 3 placed teams in Division 1a and Division 1b (6) 

• The 4th placed team from Div 1a or Division 1b with the best record (1)

• If both teams in 4th place have the same number of league points, the tie is to be determined by (i) Scoring Difference (ii) Highest Total Score for (iii) Most Goals for (iv) Least Goals against (v) A playoff'

Format for the league in 2025. Even though it means nothing nowadays you still want to be playing top teams each week meaning we need a Top 3 finish this year and not take the gamble of 4th place

Post edited by PTH2009 on

“So I've just downloaded my first ticket of my Season ticket 2024 . Its for the All Ireland club hurling final on Sunday. I won't be using it , because my club aren't there , but I was hoping to give it to a friend . As was the case in the past I could just "screenshot " the ticket and send it . Not anymore . The barcode is surrounded by a coloured band which is actively moving and requires internet coverage. A screenshot will not work at the turnstiles and the ticket is non transferable. I was outside Walsh Park a couple of years ago for a Waterford league game . The queues at the turnstiles were huge . The network was down and people were unable to access their tickets because they hadn't done a screenshot like I'd done pre match . The new ticket scan requires an active network .When you attempt to do a screenshot , a security message appears . I also used to buy extra tickets for elderly friends , take a screenshot and send to their phones . I'm assuming if you buy tickets for friends or family , they will download to your phone only , and they must be present with you at the turnstiles . Seems like a farcical situation to me .”

THE ABOVE was taken from a hurling group . Any thoughts ? Honestly after the farce of the new season tickets games reduction , getting a bit cheesed off with the organisation at this stage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

Is there an option to download tickets to Google wallet?

Might be one for the Season Ticket thread to see if anyone has already solved it for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Limerick vs Cork postponed again and will take place on Sunday 21st Jan meaning the Final will be delayed

Limerick due to play Tipp in a charity game on the 28th Jan. Be convenient if Cork face us in the final in that case

TG4 GAA Schedule – Spring 2024

Friday 19 January

7.30pm: Galway v Roscommon – FBD League final.

Saturday 20 January

3pm: Dublin v Longford – O’Byrne Cup final.

Sunday 21 January

1.30pm: O’Loughlin Gaels (Kilkenny) v St Thomas (Galway) – All-Ireland SHC club final.

3.30pm: Glen (Derry) v St Brigid’s (Roscommon) – All-Ireland SFC club final.

Saturday 27 January

3.15pm: Galway v Mayo – Ladies FL Division 1.

7.30pm: Dublin v Monaghan – Division 1 FL.

Sunday 28 January

1.45pm: Galway v Mayo - Division 1 FL.

1.45pm: Donegal v Cork (TG4 player & app) – Division 2 FL.

3.45pm: Tyrone v Roscommon – Division 1 FL.

Advertisement

Saturday 3 February

2.30pm: Dublin v Tipperary – Division 1 HL.

Sunday 4 February

1.45pm: Clare v Cork – Division 1 HL.

3.45pm: Derry v Tyrone – Division 1 FL.

Third league game TBC on TG4 player & app.

Monday 5 February

Ladies FL Division 1 games (x2) TBC.

Saturday 10 February

5pm: Wexford v Offaly – Division 1 HL. 

Sunday 11 February

1.45pm: Waterford v Clare – Division 1 HL.

1.45pm: Antrim v Dublin (TG4 player & app) – Division 1 HL.

3.45pm: Tipperary v Galway – Division 1 HL.

Wednesday 14 February

7.30pm: Sigerson Cup final – Austin Stack Park.

Saturday 17 February

1pm: Ladies FL Division 1 game TBC.

2.45pm: Fitzgibbon Cup final – Abbeydorney.

5pm: Division 1 FL game TBC.

Sunday 18 February

1.45pm: Tyrone v Galway – Division 1 FL.

3.45pm: Kildare v Armagh – Division 1 FL.

Third league game TBC on TG4 player & app.

Saturday 24 February

7.30pm: Dublin v Kerry – Division 1 FL.

Sunday 25 February

Allianz League games (x3) – TBC.

Saturday 2 March

7.30pm: Mayo v Roscommon – Division 1 FL.

Ladies FL Division 1 games (x2) – Spórt TG4 YouTube.

Sunday 3 March

1.15pm: Kerry v Tyrone – Division 1 FL.

Allianz League games (x2) – TBC.

Saturday 9 March

3pm: Allianz Hurling League game – TBC.

Sunday 10 March

3.30pm: Waterford v Wexford – Division 1 HL.

Saturday 16 March

1pm: Hogan Cup final – Croke Park.

3pm: Dr Croke Cup final – Croke Park.

7.30pm: Tyrone v Monaghan – Division 1 FL.

Sunday 17 March

3.45pm: Mayo v Derry – Division 1 FL.

Monday 18 March

Ladies FL Division 1 games (x2) – 2pm and 4pm.

Saturday 23 March

Allianz Hurling League semi-final and football game (x1) – TBC.

Ladies FL Division 1 game – 2.45pm.

Sunday 24 March

Allianz Hurling League semi-final and football game (x2) – TBC.

Saturday 30 March

Division 3 & 4 football league finals.

Sunday 31 March

Division 1 & 2 football league finals.

Saturday 6 April

Division 1 hurling league final.

Ladies FL Division 3 & 4 finals – Spórt TG4 YouTube.

Sunday 7 April

Ladies FL Division 1 & 2 finals.

Hopefully the TBA will be our game away to Offaly on the Feb Bank Holiday weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

SETU Waterford with a comfortable 1-18 to 0-13 win over DCU. Not sure how our lads got on but given how many would have been involved it would seem they got on well.

EDIT: Match report below. Bulk of the scoring and representation from Waterford lads.

SETU Waterford open their Fitzgibbon Cup campaign in style with dominant second half against DCU | Independent.ie

Post edited by Cake Man on

Advertisement