Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Today’s game seemed very flat compared with last night. Galway didn’t bring any real intensity except in the early minutes and late on, and still could have sneaked it at the end. Their puckouts going astray time and again really killed them. I’m amazed they kept making the same mistakes right to the end. Against Limerick you have to work puckouts out from the back and then either run at them (very risky, as was shown again today) or play the ball in over the half back line.

With Mannion and Canning likely to have missed the final I was rooting for Galway at the end. They always looked like needing a goal but with very little decent ball coming in from outfield it never looked likely.

Joe Canning is obviously handy from frees and sidelines, but his contribution from general play today was close to zero. It meant Limerick effectively had an extra man, at least until Canning went in full forward, and most of the time that extra man was Kyle Hayes which spells trouble.

I expect Limerick to raise their intensity big time for the final but they can be rattled and no better team to do that than Waterford at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Is it correct to say that Hogan can't ref the final after doing the semi final?

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭tanko

Would this Waterford team be
    considered a better team than the team that lost the last final to Galway?

I see Limerick are 4/11 & Waterford 11/4 (with Paddy Power). Limerick deserve to be favourites but not at those odds. If Kilkenny had won by 4 points last night, they would be vying for favouritism next day out.

Limerick will be a hard nut to crack ... they are, no doubt, well coached and are a dogged, skllful team. Nevertheless, I am more confident than before the Munster Final.

I can't recall Galway having a real goal chance ? Expect Waterford to give the Limerick full back line & goalie something to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Would have preferred Galway to meet in two weeks time as Limerick are a trickier team and have more players that can turn a match than Galway. Ref will possibly be Lyons from Cork as he got the Munster Final and didn't do a bad job and is young and hasn't had one yet.

I wonder if Cahill will make changes to the starting 15 for the Final. Would love to observe the in house match next Sunday, which might change the pecking order.

Jake may not start .... not sure about Kevin ; both lion hearted warriors and fully deserving of their day in the sun but have a feeling that management might go for youth (at the start anyway) .... remember seeing Moran in 2013 qualifier against Kilkenny when he literally spilled his guts in almost singlehandedly getting Waterford over the line ; that was 7 years ago ; he also had a great year in 2017 ; can he go the well one more time.

JD 60 wrote: »
    I wonder if Cahill will make changes to the starting 15 for the Final. Would love to observe the in house match next Sunday, which might change the pecking order.

Jake may not start .... not sure about Kevin ; both lion hearted warriors and fully deserving of their day in the sun but have a feeling that management might go for youth (at the start anyway) .... remember seeing Moran in 2013 qualifier against Kilkenny when he literally spilled his guts in almost singlehandedly getting Waterford over the line ; that was 7 years ago ; he also had a great year in 2017 ; can he go the well one more time.

3 All Ireland finals for Kevin Moran, some going and hopefully its third time lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Dillon is the only one I think could change - Neil Montgomery is surely deserving of a start at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Jake probably won’t start the next day. He looked to be throwing a moody last night when things weren’t going well, his head dropped and I think that’s why he was taken out. They were all shît in the first 17 minutes but Jake has his head down rather than getting stuck in. I could be doing him a disservice saying that but it definitely looked it. He was very poor though it has to be said so it could well have been just that.

Are you really suggesting Kevin Moran won’t be on the starting 15 in two weeks time? Our most experienced player? He was phenomenal last night once again and looks in better shape now than he’s ever been. I’ve seen him have one bad game in about 10 years for Waterford and that was against Limerick in Walsh Park last June when the entire panel were cat. His performance against Kilkenny in 2013 is up there with the best individual performances you’ll ever see in a hurling match. He was physically ill at the end of 70 minutes, he notched the equaliser and was vomiting running back into position. The fact he’s still there and still operating at the same level is remarkable. To suggest he will be dropped for two weeks time is both ludicrous and laughable in equal measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Rocket99

Hogan hardly can get the final given he reffed the semi Final?
    He was absolutely shocking bad yesterday. As a neutral I couldn't believe how much he gave KK in comparison to Waterford.

Motivator wrote: »
    Jake probably won’t start the next day. He looked to be throwing a moody last night when things weren’t going well, his head dropped and I think that’s why he was taken out. They were all shît in the first 17 minutes but Jake has his head down rather than getting stuck in. I could be doing him a disservice saying that but it definitely looked it. He was very poor though it has to be said so it could well have been just that.

Are you really suggesting Kevin Moran won’t be on the starting 15 in two weeks time? Our most experienced player? He was phenomenal last night once again and looks in better shape now than he’s ever been. I’ve seen him have one bad game in about 10 years for Waterford and that was against Limerick in Walsh Park last June when the entire panel were cat. His performance against Kilkenny in 2013 is up there with the best individual performances you’ll ever see in a hurling match. He was physically ill at the end of 70 minutes, he notched the equaliser and was vomiting running back into position. The fact he’s still there and still operating at the same level is remarkable. To suggest he will be dropped for two weeks time is both ludicrous and laughable in equal measure.

Sorry if your’e upset ! I just posed a question. All will be revealed in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

A bit of topic but anyone here know much about Passage GAA club?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Watching it again on the Sunday game, Fagan plucked balls out orbit for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Rocket99 wrote: »
    Hogan hardly can get the final given he reffed the semi Final?
    He was absolutely shocking bad yesterday. As a neutral I couldn't believe how much he gave KK in comparison to Waterford.

Ya was hopeless. Waterford were awesome yesterday in the second half . 50/50 final and if anything the lack of hype this year could be the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

garv123 wrote: »

He was immense. He caught everything that came near him. Both goals came from Fagan catches and pass offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

He was immense. He caught everything that came near him. Both goals came from Fagan catches and pass offs.

The display of high catching from young Fagan was off the charts.

He’s a hardy boyo.

We need him to bring that aerial toughness and more against Limerick in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Ken McGrath said on Twitter it was the best Waterford second half ever by a Waterford team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

DeHorse88 wrote: »
    A bit of topic but anyone here know much about Passage GAA club?

What ya need to know....?

They wear red jerseys because one of their founders loved cork hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Ken McGrath said on Twitter it was the best Waterford second half ever by a Waterford team.

High praise from the engine of many a superb second half from Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Was confident ye would win, bar a few silly mistakes in the first half ye were still the better team in that half, deserved to win by 6plus, have better hurlers all over the pitch, take tj reid out of Kilkenny and they are a very average team, best of luck in the final, Our current team could not play the type of game cahill has Waterford playing ,ye can have cahill next year then back to us ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

50/50 final and if anything the lack of hype this year could be the difference[/QUOTE]

Hope WLR listen to you, they are unbearable. Mary Butler is on there now, typical politician, pretending to be interested in the common good. She's very concerned about the 10 players who won't be at the match, I wouldn't care who is there if they win, and I know it's unfortunate but typically a politician wants an exemption from a rule. Bandwaggoners are not required at this stage, let the team play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

what sickens me about all the ****e around WLR is the amount of them who were at the game on Saturday. Kieran O'Connor, Shiner, Gavin Whelan and Tomas McCarthy and probably 1 or 2 more. Should only be KOC, Shiner and a technician. same with other media outlets and agencies. The covid capacity numbers are limited and freeing up those spots for panel player should be priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭deisedude

garv123 wrote: »

Reminded me of peak Seamus Prendergast

We have really struggled in the air for years so great to see that rectified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Gardner wrote: »
    what sickens me about all the ****e around WLR is the amount of them who were at the game on Saturday. Kieran O'Connor, Shiner, Gavin Whelan and Tomas McCarthy and probably 1 or 2 more. Should only be KOC, Shiner and a technician. same with other media outlets and agencies. The covid capacity numbers are limited and freeing up those spots for panel player should be priority.

Are these journalists actually taking up the space of panel members or is that a GAA issue totally outside the control of WLR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Deiseen wrote: »
    Are these journalists actually taking up the space of panel members or is that a GAA issue totally outside the control of WLR?

Yes, the Government regulate how many can attend. I think its roughly about 250 including players, management, board officials, media, security and Croke Park staff.

Whatever the outcome in 2 weeks we might have much time comprehend the result if the revamped season is given the go ahead. 2021 Pre season would start mid January with the leagues starting February

Think it would actually be better for the clubs to come first. Gives lads more time to regain focus for the Intercounty season

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Full panel allowed to attend AI final. Proper order

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Donatello2020

Yes, the Government regulate how many can attend. I think its roughly about 250 including players, management, board officials, media, security and Croke Park staff.

This is completely incorrect. There was no minimum or maximum number set by either Government or the GAA. The GAA could decide how many attendees were deemed essential and necessary with the only stipulation of no players outside the named squad (something that's also the case in the League of Ireland, PRO14 etc).

I think it's poor form to individually name journalists when the fact is if WLR need 4 or 5 to broadcast a game, and the GAA can fit them in safely, then there was no issue. The idea they took spots from the players on Saturday is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Is it correct to say that Hogan can't ref the final after doing the semi final?

He can still get it theres no rule states that you cant get the final if you get the semi.

Lyons done the munster final so i dont know if he will get the same game again.

I Think it will be Either Paud o Dwyer or John Keenan that gets it

Advertisement