Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hadn’t realised the format for the 2025 league is that the top 3 teams from each group will qualify for Div 1A next year with the 4th places teams in each group facing off for the final 1A spot.

You’d think Clare, KK and Cork will likely take the three spots in our group with Lk, Tipp and Galway in the other group. Dublin should get the playoff spot in the other group, one of the few teams around we’d probably be confident of beating if we managed to get 4th in our group.

Really need to beat Wexford next game or it’s guaranteed 1B next year. Even then will likely also need a result v KK. Wexford getting a draw v Clare last weekend hasn’t done us any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

Accurate & interesting analysis from Shane on Sunday game

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1761882395211350247?t=RLSRR_2QM9093LP8S2sUWQ&s=19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Another dose but unlike McGrath actually has a bit of insight.

it will be interesting to see when some of the bigger names come back ie Dessie, Bennett, Tadgh, will Davy continue to persist with this nonsense or actually devise a gameplan to utilise our strengths. I suspect not

• Registered Users Posts: 16 southsider11

This comment has 11 likes (a very high number for this forum) so far – a noticeable absence of Davy supporters (apologists) coming on here defending him. Looks like the scarecrow is already getting much better results than Davy – and he hasn't even taken over from him – YET!

Post edited by southsider11 on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The 7th spot goes to the 4th team with the best record not a playoff . Dublin could get at least 4pts as they still have to play Westmeath in 1B

Looking like we need to beat Wexford and Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Has Giveitfong a long term injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

• Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

And I still maintain it doesn't matter a shiny fukk. Completely irrelevant

Where exactly am I being fickle as you say? I havent said anything to contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dilinja1

The league doesn't matter a jot. Good to see Davy play as many as possible from the squad, something he didn't do in last seasons league. The only dates that matter are the 21st April and the 4th May. Stating the obvious, we lose those games and that's the end for Davy and another year down the swanny. We win them and we might have a summer to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wasn't directing the fickle comment at you, was just saying in general how it's a very 'fickle' thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

Suir Engineering new sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Yep there it is

Post edited by decies on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Finally!

All very quiet . Any thoughts on New Jersey or sponsor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I'm not mad about the jersey but it's great that we have a locally based sponsor? Makes me think of Pat O'Donnell and Clare and maybe this could be a great long term partnership? Looking forward to getting some new gear all the same! Hopefully Azzuri get it right!

Am I right in saying the naming rights to Walsh Park are not included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Any team news about tomorrows game v Wexford..?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Just realised that. Next Sunday and the following Sunday are the games

To be fair its a stop start schedule when there was already a week break before the last round of games.

Anyway, just to get a bit of a discussion going what do people think of the viewpoint that we are actually in a decent place. Very narrow defeats to Clare and Cork who had much stronger sides out. You could argue our 6 forwards in last weeks game will not start come championship or at least not in the forward line. Two Bennetts, Patrick Fitz, Dessie, Jack Fagan and Michael Kiely could arguably be our best front 6. Add to that Kieran Bennett midfield/wing back, Jamie Barron, Peter Hogan, Tadhg, Prunty and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more, we really are depleted so to be this competitive I think is a plus. Also the game time has clearly done wonders to players like Paddy Leavy, Sean Walsh and Conor Ryan.

The priority now is getting game time into the big names mentioned above before championship. Making the top 3 would be a bonus but its all about the championship and for me there's more than a glimmer of hope for us from what I've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm not optimistic even with returning players we will improve with the "gameplan" Davy has us playing. In fact I fear we will take some big beatings in Championship

Hope it sell well. I have so many jerseys , I wouldn’t be buying anyway , not a huge fan of those blue sleeves . Photo Noel Browne

Good news we have a sponsor.

Jersey is cat. Don’t mind the colour it’s just the cheap quality, 2 stripes on the sleeves looks like a poor man’s oneills kit

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

I'd be in agreement, my one hold up is that I feel Davy is trying to micro manage the gameplan far too much, we've been at our best in the last few years when we've played with a structure but also a bit of freedom. Not being in the top league next season doesn't matter a bollox if we have a good championship, that's all that matters in my opinion. Getting out of Munster this year is the be and all for this group.

Congrats to Blackwater community school through to the All Ireland Colleges B final

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I’m not sure I’d look at it like that.

I’d be more inclined to see it as Stephen in a race against time to be fit following a serious hamstring injury & a lot of uncertainty around who would hit the frees if he doesn’t make it or reinjured the hamstring. Tadhg hasn’t played in a long time & is bound to be rusty. Jamie hasn’t played to his 2017 levels in a few years but hopefully can get back to this level. Prunty has had a lot of injuries & if we’re honest probably hasn’t looked as assured in the last few years either. Kiely has shown glimpses of his potential at intercounty level but hasn’t done much in championship games so far.

All of this while factoring in an overly controlled game plan where the manager doesn’t seem to give the players any degree of freedom to express themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Hypothetically speaking, how many Waterford players would be in contention, for say, a starting place on the Limerick team.

Dessie, Patrick Fitzgerald, Kiely and Leavey ; perhaps a fully fit Stephen Bennett and Mark Fitzgerald would be in with a shout. Otherwise, it's fairly slim pickings and this shows the gulf out there, Davy or no Davy (though would still prefer no Davy).

Ah ya but I think the same is for the majority of teams. All that being said this Waterford team were within a puck of the ball and probably should've beaten them last year.

The nature of any sport means a team can be beaten on any given day despite their superiority otherwise there would be no point.

Definitely valid points on the pessimism because of Davys style of play and micro management but if you showed me the starting 15s we've had for the league so far before it started I wouldn't have expected us to be as close in the last 2 games. As another poster alluded to though a lot depends on game time for our big players and whether they find their previous form again. If they do I think, mixed with the finds we've got in the league, we have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

What Limerick players are you dropping for those players

Advertisement