Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

50/50 final and if anything the lack of hype this year could be the difference

Hope WLR listen to you, they are unbearable. Mary Butler is on there now, typical politician, pretending to be interested in the common good. She's very concerned about the 10 players who won't be at the match, I wouldn't care who is there if they win, and I know it's unfortunate but typically a politician wants an exemption from a rule. Bandwaggoners are not required at this stage, let the team play.[/QUOTE]

The full squad will be allowed in the ground at level 3 restrictions, good news for them, and well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Who says local politicians don't deliver!?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

KevIRL wrote: »
    Full panel allowed to attend AI final. Proper order

Just need to get myself onto the panel now so 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Whatever the outcome in 2 weeks we might have much time comprehend the result if the revamped season is given the go ahead. 2021 Pre season would start mid January with the leagues starting February

Think it would actually be better for the clubs to come first. Gives lads more time to regain focus for the Intercounty season

Money talks, better chance of filling up a few stadiums later in the year next year so clubs will most likely be out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

This is completely incorrect. There was no minimum or maximum number set by either Government or the GAA. The GAA could decide how many attendees were deemed essential and necessary with the only stipulation of no players outside the named squad (something that's also the case in the League of Ireland, PRO14 etc).

I think it's poor form to individually name journalists when the fact is if WLR need 4 or 5 to broadcast a game, and the GAA can fit them in safely, then there was no issue. The idea they took spots from the players on Saturday is laughable.

Think your wrong there bud. Why did the GAA have to apply to the government in regards increasing the numbers. This was confirmed on the Sunday Game last night. There is a limit on number that can attend otherwise we would have a free for all.

I stand by my point and I've listened back to the WLR coverage on Spotify and I still can't for the life of me why anyone outside of KOC or Shiner were needed for coverage or input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Gardner wrote: »
    Think your wrong there bud. Why did the GAA have to apply to the government in regards increasing the numbers. This was confirmed on the Sunday Game last night. There is a limit on number that can attend otherwise we would have a free for all.

I stand by my point and I've listened back to the WLR coverage on Spotify and I still can't for the life of me why anyone outside of KOC or Shiner were needed for coverage or input.

Have you adjusted for those who write for our local papers and those who secure interviews on pitch immediately upon FT whilst broadcasting team have restricted movement in the stadium? Suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Donatello2020

Gardner wrote: »

Did you even read my point? They applied for an increase to squad numbers, the one group that had a maximum limit as set by Government. That has *nothing* to do with media numbers which the GAA had full control over.

I’m glad they took a common sense approach and allowed a decent number in, not just from WLR but other outlets too. Particularly this season when strong coverage is never more important.

It sounds like your main gripe is with WLR and you want to blame them for Waterford not having more players allowed in, which is quite frankly bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mart 23

Could there be pressure for a change in the extended panel . Do all of the
    panel of 36 receive medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

mart 23 wrote: »
    Could there be pressure for a change in the extended panel . Do all of the
    panel of 36 receive medals.

Think the GAA issue about 26-30 of them. I have heard of other counties buying more replicas and mixing them together so that everyone gets a medal. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

In addition to the 30 or so players named on the team sheets over the last number of championship games, does anyone know the reminder of the extended panel used by the Waterford management. A lot of talk about the ten extra players to the 26 named in the programmes. So far 1. Stephen O’Keeffe, Ian Kenny, 3. Conor Prunty, 4. Shane McNulty, 5. Calum Lyons, Tadhg de Burca, 7. Kevin Moran, 8. Jamie Barron, 9. Jake Dillon, 10. Jack Fagan, 11. Kieran Bennett, 12. Stephen Bennett, 13. Dessie Hutchinson, 14. Ozzie Gleeson, 15. Jack Prendergast, 16. Billy Nolan, 17. Peter Hogan, 18. Mark O’Brien, 19. Mikey Kearney, 20 Patrick Curran, 21 Colin Dunford, 22. Conor Gleeson, 23. Darragh Lyons, 24. Neil Montgomery, 25. Iarlaith Daly, 26. Billy Power, 27. Ciaran Kirwan, 28. Shane Fives, 29. Kieran Power, 30. Shane Ryan are named in the 26 on the programme so far.

In the league 1. Tom Barron, 2. MJ Sutton, 3. James Flavin, 4. Pauric Mahony 5. Darragh Fives were involved in various panels of 26 named. Sean O’Brien was reported to be training with the squad earlier in the year. Any changes in the extra 5 or 6 training with the panel but not selected in the 26 yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

blacksuir wrote: »
    In addition to the 30 or so players named on the team sheets over the last number of championship games, does anyone know the reminder of the extended panel used by the Waterford management. A lot of talk about the ten extra players to the 26 named in the programmes. So far 1. Stephen O’Keeffe, Ian Kenny, 3. Conor Prunty, 4. Shane McNulty, 5. Calum Lyons, Tadhg de Burca, 7. Kevin Moran, 8. Jamie Barron, 9. Jake Dillon, 10. Jack Fagan, 11. Kieran Bennett, 12. Stephen Bennett, 13. Dessie Hutchinson, 14. Ozzie Gleeson, 15. Jack Prendergast, 16. Billy Nolan, 17. Peter Hogan, 18. Mark O’Brien, 19. Mikey Kearney, 20 Patrick Curran, 21 Colin Dunford, 22. Conor Gleeson, 23. Darragh Lyons, 24. Neil Montgomery, 25. Iarlaith Daly, 26. Billy Power, 27. Ciaran Kirwan, 28. Shane Fives, 29. Kieran Power, 30. Shane Ryan are named in the 26 on the programme so far.

In the league 1. Tom Barron, 2. MJ Sutton, 3. James Flavin, 4. Pauric Mahony 5. Darragh Fives were involved in various panels of 26 named. Sean O’Brien was reported to be training with the squad earlier in the year. Any changes in the extra 5 or 6 training with the panel but not selected in the 26 yet.

What happened to Shane Bennett is he not on the panel anymore or injured or what’s the story with him?

Was Shaun O Brien not in goal in one of the league games?

KIB4Life wrote: »
    What happened to Shane Bennett is he not on the panel anymore or injured or what’s the story with him?

Left as far as I know. Would you blame him the way he was treated by Derek trying to keep an eye on three men in a one man full forward line.

Was Shaun O Brien not in goal in one of the league games?

Selected for the game before lock-down as far as I remember. As I said he was training with the panel. Billy Nolan got a run out against Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Definitely space for at least one more so if you’re reading this Liam & you’re stuck for one more, I’m available to travel Sunday week, just send a private message!

Waterford have a great chance. But I hope Waterford lock up Mullane and Derek McGrathfor the next 2 weeks. They ll be blowing up Waterford until the final..especially McGrath who doesn't rate Limerick. Hes a joker. If Waterford go in to this final a millimetre off kilter it ll be all over at half time and there'll be no come back against Limerick if ye go 6 or 7 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Waterford have a great chance. But I hope Waterford lock up Mullane and Derek McGrathfor the next 2 weeks. They ll be blowing up Waterford until the final..especially McGrath who doesn't rate Limerick. Hes a joker. If Waterford go in to this final a millimetre off kilter it ll be all over at half time and there'll be no come back against Limerick if ye go 6 or 7 down.

I have no fears about hype ahead of the final. Let McGrath and mullane rave all they want.

This management team will have them properly tuned in, like Cahill said after the game that they went out out to play the match and not the occasion. The only thing the players should do is avoid the absolute cesspit that is social media over the next couple weeks but other than that they will be well shielded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Left as far as I know. Would you blame him the way he was treated by Derek trying to keep an eye on three men in a one man full forward line.
    think Stephen Bennett mentioned in his media stuff last week that Shane was/is working in Carlingford which obviously wouldn't be ideal for training.

Selected for the game before lock-down as far as I remember. As I said he was training with the panel. Billy Nolan got a run out against Westmeath.

He played the Limerick game I think, was sure I had seen him and I watched the highlights of that one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

BloodyBill wrote: »

Yeah and I don’t think there is many Limerick men in the national media now when I come to think of it so there won’t be much word coming out of Limerick coming up to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Irish examiner saying on Twitter that Fergal Horgan is going to get the final too.

Really hope they're wrong on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Irish examiner saying on Twitter that Fergal Horgan is going to get the final too.

Really hope they're wrong on this one

Beating Kilkenny and the referee is one thing, beating Limerick and the referee is quite another.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Fergal Horgan confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Horgan again ?? Is what it is I suppose

Jesus going to be a nevry few weeks, please lord we finally do it on the 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Fergal Horgan confirmed.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Where?

Irish examiner on twitter was where I saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

OK, so not officially announced then yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fergal Horgan confirmed.

Mother of God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

With a tipp manger and a tipp ref, thats ridiculous, horgan will have it in his head not to be overly good to the tipp manager out of fears of bias, absolutely no need to put him in that situation, sheedy was right other week when he said limerick man should not have been reffing our game either. Thought he didnt give ye too much other night either.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

he's just plain bad.
    I know we won the game but he was bad again at the weekend - KK getting nearly double the free count - 16 - 9 was it?
    Second hal in particular he was very generous with TJ reid.
    Kevin moran shoulder in particular was baffling.

Not sure who reffed the munster final but i had no issues with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭redlead

There were three frees in the space of 5 minutes in the third quarter that were not fouls. The first was where I believe Austin Gleeson stood his ground and a free was given against him, if anything the KK player should have been penalised for not releasing. The second was Kevin Morans shoulder; and the third was where TJ tripped over his own feet and Horgan deemed it to be a trip by a Waterford player. I said before the match that I didn't believe him to be biased and that the issue is just that he is a really bad referee but I am genuinely wondering now. The difference in free counts in the second half is astonishing considering we had all the possession.

Advertisement