Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Under 20s semi final vs Tipperary set for Tuesday 15th Dec at 7pm in Fraher Field

If we do the business on the 13th, will be some buzz for the game among the supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Does anyone out there recall the Monday pm evening radio show hosted by Des Cahill.....he invited callers to ring in and describe or rant about how their favorite team was robbed by a ref etc etc.....sports call I think it was called. It attracted some beauties who would go on about all sorts of gaa and referee conspiracy theories.....it was at its peak in around 1998 when ‘da banner’ went off the rails

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Does anyone out there recall the Monday pm evening radio show hosted by Des Cahill.....he invited callers to ring in and describe or rant about how their favorite team was robbed by a ref etc etc.....sports call I think it was called. It attracted some beauties who would go on about all sorts of gaa and referee conspiracy theories.....it was at its peak in around 1998 when ‘da banner’ went off the rails

Was it not a Sunday evening? Think I remember listening to it on the way home from games?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Was it not a Sunday evening? Think I remember listening to it on the way home from games?

I think you're both right, it had stints on both nights.

I think you're both right, it had stints on both nights.

Wonder why it was discontinued......Pressure from the referees, fear of being stuffed into the boot of a car.....mr Horgan had better be careful...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Wonder why it was discontinued......Pressure from the referees, fear of being stuffed into the boot of a car.....mr Horgan had better be careful...!!!

Well up to this year it was the Marty Squad on a Sunday evening which was a joke of a show anyway with himself & that annoying Brenda one, only good insight was on All-Ireland final day when they were in the dressing room

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Well the team is capable of beating this ref and the opposition, they can do it again.

You'd miss the buzz of getting the final tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I’m surprised that this hasn’t been posted yet (apologies if I have missed it).

These guys do great work underage so I’m sure any residual funds won’t go to waste.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/club-deise-all-ireland-final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Gavlor wrote: »

These guys do great work underage so I’m sure any residual funds won’t go to waste.

That’s great to see, I donated myself on Wednesday and it was around the 13k mark and now up to nearly 20k. Would encourage anyone to throw a few bob in, even if it’s just a fiver. It’s the least the lads deserve for giving them the best preparation ahead of Sunday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Well up to this year it was the Marty Squad on a Sunday evening which was a joke of a show anyway with himself & that annoying Brenda one, only good insight was on All-Ireland final day when they were in the dressing room

The name said it all. The 'Marty Squad'. I wonder why Marty was never poached by Sky...let me think....

Cake Man wrote: »
    That’s great to see, I donated myself on Wednesday and it was around the 13k mark and now up to nearly 20k. Would encourage anyone to throw a few bob in, even if it’s just a fiver. It’s the least the lads deserve for giving them the best preparation ahead of Sunday week.

JP might match whatever is put in come the final...it would be like something he'd do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

BloodyBill wrote: »
    The name said it all. The 'Marty Squad'. I wonder why Marty was never poached by Sky...let me think....

Don't be so coy. Tell us why, in your opinion, Marty was never poached by Sky.

Marty ‘good hands’ Morrissey.......’Cian Lynch.....a joy to watch as he shortens the grip’.........etc etc

Is he RTE’s finest....are himself and Brenda dating....?

deiseach wrote: »

Haha because he's got no knowledge of hurling, no ability to see whats in front of him and has to read a pre match piece before every game. He is what they call in the business, a true Amateur

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Haha because he's got no knowledge of hurling, no ability to see whats in front of him and has to read a pre match piece before every game. He is what they call in the business, a true Amateur

Not a truer word said... The man is a national bluffer..

Gavlor wrote: »

I have mixed feelings on this, though I do intend to donate. It just seems a little amateurish running a Go Fund Me page, but fair dues to Club Deise.

I am a big supporter of Club Deise and think they do amazing work, particularly for the underage and youth in the County. It's a thankless job.

If everyone who intended to go the match donated the price of the ticket or even 20 or 25 Euro, it would be amazing for the development squads over the coming years. And unfortunately, I do think our development squads are playing a little catch up to the likes of Limerick, Cork, Galway, Dublin and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Waternut wrote: »
    Not a truer word said... The man is a national bluffer..

Glad I’m not the only one complete allergic to the guy. Hope to christ he’s not doing the final. Absolutely ruins games for me. Can’t understand why the country seems to give him a free pass as if he’s some sort of national treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Glad I’m not the only one complete allergic to the guy. Hope to christ he’s not doing the final. Absolutely ruins games for me. Can’t understand why the country seems to give him a free pass as if he’s some sort of national treasure.

That's the beauty of being able to switch over to sky. Probably worth the subscription money alone having an option to turn RTE off.

A national treasure.. Jesus, don't get me started. He's a complete and utter out and out bluffer that somehow fell into the role at RTE. It actually upsets me listening to him. He doesn't know half the players, knows nothing about the players and has his string of cliche catch phrases and buzz words which is cringe. I do question that mob up in RTE at times, the people they employ and the salaries. But look, that's another conversation.

• Advertisement

Waternut wrote: »
    A national treasure.. Jesus, don't get me started. He's a complete and utter out and out bluffer that somehow fell into the role at RTE. It actually upsets me listening to him. He doesn't know half the players, knows nothing about the players and has his string of cliche catch phrases and buzz words which is cringe. I do question that mob up in RTE at times, the people they employ and the salaries. But look, that's another conversation.

‘Good hands’ .......is his latest favorite he must have said it twenty times during the Galway v Limerick game last Sunday......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Would much prefer Darragh Moloney on commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

What about Ger “it’s a one point game “Canning? Another beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

deckie66 wrote: »
    Would much prefer Darragh Moloney on commentary

Maloney was only one stop short of calling Cummins Liam Sheedy the other day, he was guilty of mistaken identity on 3 or 4 occasions. He even called Richie Hogan, Richie Power at one stage.

But generally he is the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Maloney was only one stop short of calling Cummins Liam Sheedy the other day, he was guilty of mistaken identity on 3 or 4 occasions. He even called Richie Hogan, Richie Power at one stage.

But generally he is the best of them.

Maloney is a poor commentator. He’s a good anchor but his knowledge of hurling is shocking. He got so much wrong last week. He’s an ok Gaelic football commentator but he’s cat at the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://www.the42.ie/sam-maguire-and-liam-maccarthy-cups-to-stay-in-croke-park-5289495-Dec2020/

Liam won't be walked over the bridge this year regardless.

Understand the logic, but could they not walk it over the bridge and send it back to Dublin then, seems so harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

deiseach wrote: »

Always laugh when I think of podge and rodge calling him cousin marty

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

https://www.the42.ie/sam-maguire-and-liam-maccarthy-cups-to-stay-in-croke-park-5289495-Dec2020/

Liam won't be walked over the bridge this year regardless.

Understand the logic, but could they not walk it over the bridge and send it back to Dublin then, seems so harsh

can't see it stopping people being on the bridge and the quays if they win

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

The club Deise fundraiser passed 20k this morning, some going in one week.

• Advertisement

A week to go, the nerves starting to gather (feck knows what they will be like next Sunday)

Advertisement