Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    The club Deise fundraiser passed 20k this morning, some going in one week.

There is also a fundraiser going on for Waterford supporters in Dublin, which will add to the pot.

Mullane (yesterday’s Indo) mentioned players driving up in their cars next week. My understanding is that 3 buses will be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

JD60 wrote: »
    There is also a fundraiser going on for Waterford supporters in Dublin, which will add to the pot.

Mullane (yesterday’s Indo) mentioned players driving up in their cars next week. My understanding is that 3 buses will be used.

Loads of 75 inch LED TV’s are flying out the door of Harvey Norman etc in their stores in Waterford and limerick....the high res and size will make it much easier to see the yellow sliotars....!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RTE promo would give ya goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

https://www.the42.ie/sam-maguire-and-liam-maccarthy-cups-to-stay-in-croke-park-5289495-Dec2020/

Liam won't be walked over the bridge this year regardless.

Understand the logic, but could they not walk it over the bridge and send it back to Dublin then, seems so harsh

Fair idea, but if they're being consistent wouldn't they remove Sam McGuire from Dublin if Dublin win the football?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

They're keeping both trophies at HQ. Dublin won't be allowed to carry Sam to a homecoming either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

puzl wrote: »
    They're keeping both trophies at HQ. Dublin won't be allowed to carry Sam to a homecoming either.

Yeah but its staying in Dublin, wtf do they think is going to happen, Dawn of the Dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Deise Abu ,

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

I watched back the Munster final Saturday night just to see where Limerick won the game and where Waterford could improve going into Sunday. I always find it hard watching back full matches that Waterford have lost but with the lack of a social life in these times, I took the plunge. The match was less than a month ago but when you're so engrossed in the game when it's live, you definitely miss things but I just took a few things from it.

I was shocked to see how many short puckouts that Quaid got off, particularly to Kyle Hayes in the 1st half. I suppose with Dillon and Fagan trying to drop deep to get in front of Hegarty and Morrissey, this allowed the short puckouts with Hayes often inside his own 45 collecting them. When I looked at the stats, I noticed that Limerick won 66% and having got at least 8 off short , that would mean that they struggled when they went long which was evident watching it back. Perhaps it's because of the deep lying half forward line that Waterford done so well on these but I would like to see our half forwards push even 10 yards up the pitch & put some pressure on the short puckout as it's very hard for Hutchinson, Gleeson & Prendergast to cover 5 men sufficiently.
    Our half back really was on top that day as well. Although Hegarty got 2 2nd half points, Lyons seemed to have the measure of him and both Moran & Morrissey (other than 2 rucks that he came out of with the ball) were quiet which suited Waterford seen as Morrissey is consistently striking scores in other games. Reidy was dropping deep then which suited TDB but I would expect Lynch to push up the field further on to him and don't be shocked to see Hayes move to 11 to keep TDB busy. They have O'Loughlin & English to introduce there and could move O'Donovan back also but I hope Lynch stays centre forward as I don't think he's as influential and it would free up Barron at midfield.

For as good as our halfback line was, the corner backs struggled initially and near the end. McNulty had a tough 10 minutes but really grew into the game while Fives had his hands full with Casey as well. Mulcahy and Casey are lethal with any space and if you commit, they can turn on a 6 pence. They contributed 7 from play with Gillane getting 2 (but Prunty did well on him) which is a good return. Breen and Flanagan also scored 2 when introduced. Hard to know what to do here as the halfback line probably needs to follow their men out to a point. I would probably stay as is with positioning and hope that McNulty and Kenny or Fives can have more success in 1 on 1 situations.

Another area we can improve is the spread of scores. I think the confidence of players such as Fagan, Kieran Bennett, Hutchinson should be flowing and although Stephen Bennett has been the scorer in chief, we have seen a massive spread of scores in the 2 games since. Barron, Fagan, TDB, Lyons didn't score that day but have in games since while Kieran Bennett, Prendergast & Hutchinson just got a point each. We need to get more scores out of these lads as we've seen the last 2 days. Fagan was particularly quiet that day and while the Limerick half back didn't dominate until late on, he really had no impact on the game but maybe he has learned from that experience & I could see more puckouts being landed on him this weekend.
    Inside Prendergast really grew into the game and has drove on since then in the 2 intermittent matches. Him and Stephen Bennett's direct style drew frees and defenders towards them and seen the Limerick defense struggle. More of the same from these lads will require them to get more ball into them. Unfortunately, Hutchinson was kept quiet but again, the supply of ball wasn't coming in. If he gets enough ball, he will cause damage and with Fagan's performance the last day, may see him get more space in front of him the next day and it needs to be exploited. Finn is a class act in the corner but he can be troubled and hopefully this will be Sunday.

Other small stats were that Waterford were successful with 81% of their frees compared to Limerick's 100%, just a small stat that could make a huge difference. We also missed a few chances to go ahead in the 2nd half with poor distribution, decisions and shots. It would have been interesting to see if Waterford could have got ahead after the water break as Limerick were glad of it and were able to sort some of their issues out at that interval. Limerick have used these water breaks excellently to date to be fair to them. One other issue would be the sidelines for both sides. Get these takers sorted so that they know the plan. Gleeson hit 2 good sidelines from the midfield but him taking them meant he wasn't inside to compete for them. Barron is equally adept at taking them so leave him at them. On Limerick's, Hegarty loves a 1-2 from them. Someone needs to run straight to him as soon as he strikes the original ball to stop him getting it back and rising it.

Overall, there's definitely room for improvement in both teams. I think Waterford have improved more in the last 2 games than Limerick and produced more better performances (ignoring the 1st half against Kilkenny of course!) than Limerick produced against Galway. For Limerick, they will look at getting the half forward line more into the game while Waterford will look to curb their inside forward line while get more out of themselves. This analysis could be a complete waste of time as the next day could be completely different! As Brian Cody says,' Each game takes on a complete life of it's own'.

It's going to be a long 6 days of waiting to find out!

The weather forecast is for an overcast afternoon next Sunday, with possibility of a few showers (showers forecast for the morning too), so likely that the pitch (good as it is) will be very slippy. Even without rain, the pitch seems to hold any moisture at this time of the year.

It's going to be a very attritional match. Hope the referee doesn't start flashing yellow cards around, especially early on .... what you don't want is for some unfortunate to pick up two soft yellows. I recall Liam Griffin saying (in relation to his famous win) that their preparations included the possibility of having one of their team man sent off and/or for the opposition having a man sent off.

Into All Ireland week

Christmas trees/lights on, Christmas music playing and an All Ireland hurling final with Waterford in the same month. Crazy but what an end of the year it will be if we can win it

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/12/07/special-all-ireland-preview-night-to-take-place-virtually-on-wednesday/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Having read whiteandblue’s very thoughtful review of Waterford’s performance against Limerick in the Munster final, I looked again at my own report, posted here, on that game. Without wishing to portray myself as a profit, in that report I wrote: “It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Waterford could end up playing Limerick again in this championship”. This was based on the fact that Clare/Kilkenny was the more favourable side of the qualifier draw. Accordingly, I made some suggestions as to how Waterford might improve their effectiveness in preparation for meeting Limerick again, and whiteandblue has echoed many of these in his contribution.

For a start, whiteandblue is correct about Limerick’s focus on short puckouts. The reason Limerick won two thirds of their puckouts is that two thirds of their puckouts were short. He suggests this was because of their problems winning long puckouts (they only won one of eight of these) but I think that more important is Limerick’s use of short puckouts to get their passing movements through the lines going, which is a crucial part of their armoury, either to get Lynch, Hegarty and Tom Morrissey running at the defence or to send weighted diagonal ball into the corner forwards. It is for this reason that, like whiteandblue, I suggested that Waterford might be better off to put a press on the Limerick puckouts to force Quaid to go long. This would mean Waterford sacrificing players from the midfield area, but this might be worth it if it denies Limerick the option of building from the back.

While Waterford did better on long puckouts than Limerick (38% success rate), I argued that Waterford might be better off going through the short puckout route themselves, again in order to get the ball into the hands of strong runners (De Búrca, Lyons, Barron, Fagan, Prendergast) to run at the Limerick defence. Waterford play around one third of their puckouts short in most matches, but these are usually followed by a long ball deep into opposition territory. However, at this stage it is unlikely that Cahill and Bevans will introduce major changes in this area, and if Jack Fagan and Austin Gleeson can repeat their heroics from the semi-final, Waterford might enjoy more success from long puckouts.

Waterford’s performances (apart from the first half against Kilkenny) since the Munster final showed considerable improvement, although granted the opposition was weaker than Limerick. In the Munster final, Jamie Barron was a lot quieter than he usually is, as was Kevin Moran, while Fagan had little impact and Gleeson, despite scoring three points, was much less effective than he was in the semi-final. Despite this, Waterford could well have pulled the game out of the fire, had they not gone chasing goals in the closing stages when easy points were available, and if they had a little more good fortune with their attempts at creating goal-scoring chances.

I expect the choice between Ian Kenny and Shane Fives for the final may depend on whether Limerick start Peter Casey or Seamus Flanagan in the full forward line, as Kenny would be more suited to marking Casey and Fives to marking Flanagan. However, whoever starts will likely end up marking both of them at different stages of the game. I still think that Kevin Moran makes a better contribution from midfield, but it is unlikely that Iarlaith Daly will be given his first championship start in the final. However, I think we may see him being introduced much earlier than he was against Kilkenny.

In my report on the Munster final, like whiteandblue, I also pointed out the need for better organisation of our approach to sidelines, and this appears to have been sorted since, with McNulty taking those inside the Waterford 45 metre line, Gleeson taking those inside the opposition 45 metre line (with a licence to shoot for a point) and Jamie Barron taking those in between. I also noted Gearóid Hegarty’s tendency to hit short sidelines which are then hit back to him, so whiteandblue’s suggestion that someone be given the job of immediately moving in on Hegarty after he takes the sideline is a good one.

Waterford’s decision-making and scoring efficiency reached a new level in the second half against Kilkenny, although the players in question will undoubtedly come under more pressure against Limerick in the final. How we respond to this pressure could have a crucial impact on the ultimate outcome.

Incidentally, there was a very informative article on Mikey Bevans in yesterday’s issue of the Sunday Times. It provides a very good basis for understanding the remarkable transformation in Waterford’s hurling fortunes in 2020.

Sorry, "profit" should obviously have been "prophet". The capitalist in me is clearly breaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

One should not underestimate the fact that Cahill and Bevans while trying to win a Munster Final were never going to reveal their full hand knowing that a second battle was always likely to be on the cards if they were going to make it to Croke Park . It was a game where we were always going to get a second shot and were still trying to build confidence

I also believe that many of the the players still lacked a bit of self belief going into the Limerick game especially with what was written about Cork and how poor they were against us - very little credit was given to our lads. Since the Munster Final and how close we performed to Limerick has raised lads belief to new levels and our performances since have shown real self belief . Even against Kk our first half performance was not near as bad as we made it out to be but we got heavily punished for even the slightest mistake and it is often said you learn more from your smallest mistake than your best performance.

I honestly think Cahill and Bevans will have learned a lot from the Munster Final - mind you I think Kiely will also have learned a lot from our games against Clare and Kilkenny - think Sunday’s game has the potential to different from the Munster Final which had a little bit of shadow boxing - no second chances this time round and it could be a cracker - just hope we squeeze home on the right side

Remember all the great underage battles a lot of these Waterford and Limerick players would of had against each other.

The 2013 and 2014 Munster finals both ended in draws with us throwing away the lead in 2013 and we found back in 2014, with Limerick coming out on top in both of the replays. Amazingly we were the ones to go and Win an All Ireland in the grade after Limerick were robbed in the 2013 Al semi final and then beaten by Kilkenny in the final a year later. Both years the All Ireland minor finals could of been Waterford vs Limerick affairs

If i recall correctly they never ended up playing against each other in the Under 21/20

Anyone have a link to The Sunday Times article ?

(I'm subscribed to a few papers already so don't want to pay for another subscription !).

Read somewhere else that Bevans won a Fitzgibbon with WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blueflame wrote: »
    One should not underestimate the fact that Cahill and Bevans while trying to win a Munster Final were never going to reveal their full hand knowing that a second battle was always likely to be on the cards if they were going to make it to Croke Park . It was a game where we were always going to get a second shot and were still trying to build confidence

I also believe that many of the the players still lacked a bit of self belief going into the Limerick game especially with what was written about Cork and how poor they were against us - very little credit was given to our lads. Since the Munster Final and how close we performed to Limerick has raised lads belief to new levels and our performances since have shown real self belief . Even against Kk our first half performance was not near as bad as we made it out to be but we got heavily punished for even the slightest mistake and it is often said you learn more from your smallest mistake than your best performance.

I honestly think Cahill and Bevans will have learned a lot from the Munster Final - mind you I think Kiely will also have learned a lot from our games against Clare and Kilkenny - think Sunday’s game has the potential to different from the Munster Final which had a little bit of shadow boxing - no second chances this time round and it could be a cracker - just hope we squeeze home on the right side

The first part is nonsense. You reckon they kept some secret weapon/tactic in their back pocket just Incase they got to play limerick again? Instead of giving 100% in a minster final?

No chance.

The remainder is spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Sunday Times Article

First impressions. Seven years ago, Upperchurch Drombane approached Mikey Bevans to coach their senior team, a middling crew. Except for coaching some juvenile teams in his native Toomevara, Bevans was untried. For all parties, there was risk. They joined hands and jumped.

Before Bevans met the group he asked the chairman for a photograph of every player so that, at the first meeting, he was able to greet strangers by their names. “It really caught us off guard,” says James Barry, the former Tipperary player and Upperchurch clubman. “There were 25 or 30 players in the room, and he knew us all. There are plenty of journey men coaches around the place, not really meaning what they do. It made us think, ‘He’s serious about us’.”

At the same meeting he asked everybody to write two lines about everybody else in the group, in their own time. Bevans collated all of the emailed replies and each player received a document, glowing with warm testimonials, the kind of stuff that is usually trapped behind sealed lips and male reserve.

Before a ball was struck, Bevans had reached out to them as people. Without making it feel like an intrusion he drifted into their personal space. In a cut-throat championship they turned into dangerous opponents for all. In two years, says Barry, “the whole culture of the club changed. He set standards. The impression he made was huge.”

Earlier this year Bevans gave a presentation at a coaching seminar staged by the Tipperary county board, where he spoke about his initiation with Upperchurch, and how he felt when the cold call landed. “Fear was the big one,” Bevans said. “I had massive fear. I couldn’t see myself doing it. But something sparked in me. After the very first training session, I was obsessed.”

Bevans is in Waterford now, co-creator of the story that has electrified the hurling championship. At every opportunity, Liam Cahill eulogises Bevans. For the past six seasons they have been in a yin and yang relationship, ever since Cahill realised he had tried to do too much in his first year as Tipperary minor manager and asked Bevans to share the load.

In 2015, their first year together, Tipp reached the All-Ireland final; a year later they won it. By the time they finished with Tipp at the end of 2019 they had delivered two more All-Irelands, one at under-21 level, another at under-20. A generation of Tipperary players had been steeled for the climbs ahead.

Their paths first crossed as teenagers, on Tipperary age-grade teams in the mid-1990s. Bevans was a wispy corner forward, with spindly legs, a ponytail, deadly skill, and a giant heart. While Cahill was finding his way as a breakthrough star with the Tipperary seniors, Bevans was winning Fitzgibbon Cups with Waterford IT.

Tipp kept an eye on Bevans, and he made fleeting appearances in the league, but they reached an early conclusion about his prospects that was never reversed. Instead, the club championship was his arena — with Toomevara, Bevans won a staggering ten county medals, a pivotal player on a powerful team.
    “Mikey was ahead of his time,” says Eamon Corcoran, the former Tipp player who hurled with Bevans in college, “in his movement as a forward. He used to ghost away from players [to get the ball] and when he had it, he’d always take you on, looking for the inside shoulder. You can see it in the Waterford forwards now, the way they’re playing. Same thing.”

Derek McGrath, the former Waterford manager, noticed that detail when Waterford played Tipperary in the league before the first lockdown. Jack Fagan won a ball and immediately tried a shot; Bevans ran straight into Fagan, said McGrath, and with his next possession, Fagan took on his man. Last Saturday they ran at Kilkenny in pulverising waves.

A recurring pattern emerged. The teams that Cahill and Bevans produced were fit, direct, united and hard-nosed. Training was designed to attack their players’ limits. Cahill said that he had no mind to send “soft” young fellas through the system.

“They gave us a lot of structure and a lot of guidance,” says Mark Kehoe, who won three All-Irelands with Cahill and Bevans and played senior championship this year. “They always wanted training to be tough. There was never an easy session. You got it into your head what training was going to be like every night, so you were always ready for it.

“It wasn’t a really complicated approach to hurling. You always knew in your mind going out on to the pitch what you had to do. They never overcomplicated things. They put a lot of trust in the players they had.”

Intensity and ferocity are the foundation of everything they do. At the coaching seminar Bevans illustrated a couple of drills that he uses to develop work-rate. In one of them, two players must sprint, flat-out, for 30 seconds, and then try to dispossess four fresh players in a condensed space, while their lungs are burning and their heads are spinning.

“It’s great to get players to empty themselves,” said Bevans, “and understand what work-rate feels like. Their guts would be hanging out after 30 seconds. I get very excited doing those drills. You find out so much about your players.
    “I’m always thinking when I’m watching someone hurling, ‘What’s his personality?’ As in life, everyone’s true personality will come out when they’re under pressure. You’re always looking. ‘What does he stand for? What motivates him? What’s he saying about himself as he’s hurling?’”

Since the beginning of the year, every whisper that emerged from Waterford was that their training sessions were brutally tough. Playing their third game in 14 days last Saturday, their power and endurance in the final quarter seemed to verify that. The battle-weariness that had haunted them for two years had been exorcised.

Around Cahill is a tight and trusted team that has been together since 2015. All of them are from Tipp: Tommy Ryan, who leads the strength and conditioning work, comes from Thurles; Kevin O’Sullivan, his goalkeeping coach and advisor, hails from Cashel; Sandra Molloy, their sports psychologist, shares Cahill’s roots in Ballingarry; Paddy Julian, their physio, is from Cappawhite. For six years they’ve been on the same road.

This year Cahill added Martin Bennett, a sprint coach who has worked with a string of intercounty players, going right back to Tony Griffin in Clare, in his All-Star season, 14 years ago. Bennett’s proposition is simple. Sprinting is a skill and, with the right mechanics, speed can be acquired. In the GAA, though, all of that stuff is mostly ignored. Cahill wanted a team with an explosive edge; Bennett was a perfect fit.
    It has come together, gloriously. Two of the most exhilarating attacking performances of the championship have been produced by Waterford in the past fortnight; last Saturday they scored 2-17 in the second half, an astonishing 2-16 from play. Bevan’s influence was all over it.
    “He’s similar enough to Eamon O’Shea [Tipp’s celebrated forwards coach],” says Barry. “One thing Eamon always spoke about was that you get the best out of players when you let them be themselves. That’s what Mikey does.”
    For certain, he has connected with another group. Corcoran knew Bevans well in college, but their paths have crossed again in later life, this time as neighbours. Through the years, the essence of him hadn’t changed. “There’s a likeability factor about Mikey,” says Corcoran, “that not everybody has. You really want to do it for him. There’s different ways to lead. Mikey is the kind that inspires.”

At the coaching seminar, Bevans tried to explain himself. Without using the word, what he described was authenticity. “It’s very important to be yourself. That’s one thing that gives me confidence. I’m not trying to be anybody else. This is me, as a coach, or as a person, in front of a group. I can relax when I have that thought process.”
    The voyage continues. Full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Gavlor wrote: »
    The first part is nonsense. You reckon they kept some secret weapon/tactic in their back pocket just Incase they got to play limerick again? Instead of giving 100% in a minster final?

No chance.

The remainder is spot on!

Not saying at all that they kept a "secret weapon" or didn't give 100%, the players certainly gave everything, but I believe the management will have tried and looked at different things to see how Limerick reacted, such as allowing them to play short puck outs so frequently, and how did we compete under long puck outs etc. I am not saying it was some "master plan", but it certainly was an opportunity to look at things that they were wondering about, with a view to being able to tweak things if it came to a second time around. it is like a reply, teams do not necessarily play to the exact same format, they learn from the first round.

Cahill and Bevans are no slouches when it comes to turning previous defeats on their heads and have prior in this regard. Ask Cork!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I think the big change this time around will be Cahill's willingness to make changes. That was something he said himself after the Munster final if I remmeber correctly, that changes should have been made earlier, and he certainly showed he was willin to do that when he took Jake Dillon off in the semi final 19 minutes in.

I am absolutely buzzing for Sunday lads. Hoping my christmas jumper arrives before then!

I think the big change this time around will be Cahill's willingness to make changes. That was something he said himself after the Munster final if I remmeber correctly, that changes should have been made earlier, and he certainly showed he was willin to do that when he took Jake Dillon off in the semi final 19 minutes in.

Cahill is not afraid to make the hard calls.

The prospect of winning is almost unbearable ! Expecting a savage match, could go either way ..... Limerick will be the pick of most pundits (apart from John Mullane) but that's ok.

• Advertisement

I am absolutely buzzing for Sunday lads. Hoping my christmas jumper arrives before then!

Yeah buzzing for Sunday

Got a confirmation email from ganzee.ie and hopefully I'll have it for Sunday. Be annoying if I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah buzzing for Sunday

Got a confirmation email from ganzee.ie and hopefully I'll have it for Sunday. Be annoying if I don't

I'll be really annoyed, especially when you see the Irish 'celebrities' from limerick have theirs since last week!

The Waterford v Tipperary Munster Minor Hurling Semi-Final next Saturday at 3 pm is being streamed by the Munster GAA at a cost of €5.

To sign up, go to https://munster.gaa.ie/ and dig out the fixture in the Fixtures section.

Next Tuesday's Under 20 semi-final against Tipperary will be shown on the TG4 YouTube channel.

The Munster Under 20 final on December 23 at 7.30 pm will be shown in TG4.

No information yet on how/where the Munster minor final will be played.

Sorry, that should be how/where the Munster minor hurling final will be shown. That's scheduled for Sunday December 20 at 1 pm.

I'll be really annoyed, especially when you see the Irish 'celebrities' from limerick have theirs since last week!

Yeah ill be equally as pissed off if i don't have it in time for Sunday. I got lucky and ordered it on the Sunday night when it was briefly available online. It cost €48 but nice to have it bought and out of the way
    Giveitfong wrote: »
    The Waterford v Tipperary Munster Minor Hurling Semi-Final next Saturday at 3 pm is being streamed by the Munster GAA at a cost of €5.

To sign up, go to https://munster.gaa.ie/ and dig out the fixture in the Fixtures section.

Next Tuesday's Under 20 semi-final against Tipperary will be shown on the TG4 YouTube channel.

The Munster Under 20 final on December 23 at 7.30 pm will be shown in TG4.

No information yet on how/where the Munster minor final will be played.

Anyone know anything about the squads or management. Do we have much of a chance ?

If i remember correctly wasant the under 20 a two year project which started badly last year with a massive beating a Liam Cahill Tipperary team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Virgin media news are going to be up In Ballysaggart for 9.15 in the morning. They are looking for people to drop by for a socially distanced crowd if anyone is around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That feeling in 07 after losing to Limerick was like a kick into the stomach. I know it's not the exact same situation but maybe this is the year to return the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That feeling in 07 after losing to Limerick was like a kick into the stomach. I know it's not the exact same situation but maybe this is the year to return the favour.

The ‘Donnie Ryan’ and ‘begley’ goal show.....was an absolute sickener......9/10 pt win in the Munster final the previous month two tough games v cork we were led to believe was the reason for our defeat....? Not so sure about that any more when you look at what the current team has managed this short season as in consecutive games without any noticeable physical or mental ‘tiredness’ .......in any case would be nice to turn one over on Limerick a la 2007......

For those old enough to remember there is also the 2001 Munster semi......2-6 to a point up after 15/20 mins but again couldn’t hold on to the led and it was a ‘Begley’ goal show from memory that decided the game in the end......Limerick ran out winners by 3/4 pts..

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    The ‘Donnie Ryan’ and ‘begley’ goal show.....was an absolute sickener......9/10 pt win in the Munster final the previous month two tough games v cork we were led to believe was the reason for our defeat....? Not so sure about that any more when you look at what the current team has managed this short season as in consecutive games without any noticeable physical or mental ‘tiredness’ .......in any case would be nice to turn one over on Limerick a la 2007......

For those old enough to remember there is also the 2001 Munster semi......2-6 to a point up after 15/20 mins but again couldn’t hold on to the led and it was a ‘Begley’ goal show from memory that decided the game in the end......Limerick ran out winners by 3/4 pts..

Mullane going off on his debut injured at half time changed the 01 game and Sean Cullinane (a great servant) struggled on Begley. As for 2007.....I don’t want to talk about it

• Advertisement

Have a look on Facebook/YouTube and watch some of the 2018/2019 games. We were dire for most/if not all of those games and then we had the ghost goal.

Let's hope if things don't go our way Sunday that we don't suffer a massive hangover like the last time. Almost better for us if clubs go first for 2021

Advertisement