Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ben O Connor gone from the Cork under 20s

Who knows esp with no names been put forward from the club's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭914

I'm sure ballysaggart will have a part to play. As you say yourself "oooof"

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭JD. 60

Latest rumour I heard suggests that Queally and Eoin Kelly (Tipp) are in pole position ; I would hope that Kelly might make himself more conspicuous than he was under Davy. Alternatively, the rumour on James Skehill's podcast is that Darren Gleeson is taking over. Who knows !

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Queally is supposedly interested alright. Davy seems to be lined up for Antrim. I’d personally prefer Queally or McGrath over Gleeson who wouldn’t really be an outstanding outside candidate and would have little to no knowledge of Waterford club hurling scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Could see Davy going to Dublin given the news this evening.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see if that changes things with Antrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Peter Queally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Underwhelming it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭seananigans

dont know about that, the team as a whole is solid , they couldn't get darragh o'sullivan so they took his brother , i mean who was brian cody before he was brian cody ? we had an AI winner in for 2 years and that went to shite, i am excited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Big call but good luck to him. Can’t say he hasn’t earned a shot at it and He’ll put his absolute heart and soul into it that’s for sure. Whether it’s the right choice only time will tell but decision is made now let him get on with it and all get behind him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I’m happy with it. Sure it’s not a big name but as whole, I think it’s a solid team. One where the likes of Eoin Kelly will be listened to for example. I feel like it’ll be more of a team effort. I think the players will be happy with it. I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭skaface

Happy with that appointment, deserves a shot at it. Has been involved with the squad now with two years, so stability will also be there. He's been a great County player and will be well respected by players and supporters in my opinion.. And he's one of our own. Best of luck to him and his selecters

Best of luck to the management team and hopefully they can get the best of what's left of the 'golden generation' (whoever decides to commit etc). dont know anything about 'S&C coach' but nice to see Dan back with the seniors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

wish them all well hoping to get out of that dreaded Munster championship in next two years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

That is a decent management team. Will be better than this year and Waterford were not far off last year.

He is continuing in the role of S&C, was there under Davy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He was there under Davy, he's from Dublin but living down here in Wexford,really sound fella. Has a good bit of experience to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ferrybank 2-23 clonea 1-24. Fantastic second half display from ferrybank to overturn an 8 point half time deficit and secure a win, place in the QF and another year at Senior.

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭siyo

Fantastic result for Ferrybank, fair bloody play to them, too often the team promoted from intermediate makes very little impact at senior but these lads have bucked that trend in style. They'll have no fear next week either!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cbwfd

John Kiely was an underwhelming appointment at the time too. One of our own and deserves a shot. Good luck to him and lets get behind them.

• Advertisement

Happy to get behind Queally and leave him crack on with the job. To be fair he’s been hanging around the fringes the last few years and has earned a shot at it. Although his stints with the county underage sides didn’t go too well (tbf that was a decade ago now) he came back and had really good runs with Passage, Abbeyside and Roanmore. He’ll know the local scene inside out so he’ll be on top of who’s up and coming.

A few questions and general points:

• What is the scope of that performance coach, what is involved there?
    • Why specifically has Shane O’Sullivan been selected for that role, has he carried out the role at BG? Or perhaps he has the skills and experience from his professional life? Not questioning the man’s credentials, just curious to know why he was selected for that role as I don’t believe it’s one we’ve had before.
    • Will be interesting to see if Eoin Kelly has more of an influence on things as we didn’t seem to hear nor see much of him under Davy.
    • How do people feel about Dan being back involved? Would he have much more to offer than, say, when he was there under Derek?

Lismore pushed Ballygunner last weekend but exit the championship after losing to Passage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Rustyman101

Think that's what Shane does for a living motivation/performance so may add something different to the mix.

Best of luck to Peter no doubts about his commitment to Waterford.

Hon the Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I suppose it really comes down to how the backroom team is selected, did Queally have full say in it? Or did the selection committee come up with a backroom team to align continuity with last year, it’s being said that the co board were happy with Davy and taken aback a bit when he stepped away as he was going to be given another year.

I would have good time for Dan as a coach and a selector. He has a presence about him on the line. Brings A lot of positive energy. He mightened be for everyone but as long as Queally is happy with him and knows what he wants from him then that’s good enough for me.

Waterford SHC Quarter Finals: Mount Sion v Ferrybank, Abbeyside v Dungarvan, Roanmore v Passage, Ballygunner v De La Salle

Waterford SHC Relegation Play-Offs: Tallow v Lismore, Clonea v Fourmilewater

I believe Sullivan studied psychology while he was teaching. Has since left teaching and works full time in this field so he would be well qualified for such a role. What it actually entails is hard to say. Presumably workshops every now and then, but day to day involvement might be minimal. It’s certainly a step up from having Donnacha O’Callaghan in the role with no qualifications that I’m aware of. I don’t think he was involved last year, but that it ever happened was crazy.

Huge wins for Ferrybank and Dungarvan this weekend. Both looked like candidates to be in the relegation playoffs in the group stages. Passage beating Lismore wouldn’t be as big a shock but still a great result for Passage, Lismore must be sick.
    All doesn’t look to be right in the FMW camp from the outside looking in.

Some huge 1/4 finals next weekend.
    Roanmore Passage is a hard one to call.

DLS will fancy a cut off Ballygunner after seeing the Lismore game, but the Gunners rarely have 2 such performances in a year, never mind back to back.

Mt Sion will be focused after seeing Clonea slip up when in a commanding position against Ferrybank.

Going on all form so far Abbeyside should have too much for Dungarvan, but local derbies rarely follow such form and Dungarvan will relish a crack off their neighbours. Dungarvan’s Michael Kiely looked to be struggling towards the end of the FMW game. He would be a big loss if unavailable.

Hard to get too excited about the premier intermediate at this stage. Would fancy Ballysaggart and Brickeys to win comfortably. Affane / Cappoquin / Tourin against Ballygunner is probably the hardest to call. A/C/T haven’t been anywhere near their form of last year, but the Gunners are using more players in their senior set up this year which is weakening the intermediate team somewhat. Clashmore should account for Shamrocks I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

New territory for Queally alright…..club experience though will count for little for inter county…..being part of Davy’s set up for last two years could mean he continues with Davy’s philosophy/ playing style or he try’s to establish his own…..how will he treat the upcoming league….?

On that note above, what style does Queally play? Is he more defensive (i.e. utilises a sweeper), does he usually play a running/short passing game? What can we expect?

Can’t say I’ve seen any club games of teams he has managed the last few years so not sure what type of game he plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Managed the rower up in Kilkenny, a few years ago and from seeing the team he had then he is a very defensive coach, similar in style to Davy Fitz, Paraic Fanning and Derek McGrath. Played a sweeper with them and not very attacking. They didn't go well that year. His appointment is another backward step for ye. Waterford are best when allowed play off the cuff hurling but yere county board continues to constantly go for defensive managers.

I also see 6 of yere 8 senior quarter finalists are from the east of the county, yet it always amazes me how yere senior team always has so many from the west of the county on it.

Advertisement