Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    TJ Ryan is good craic

He’s excellent on the Examiner podcast with Anthony Daly, it will probably be recorded tomorrow. Usually with Mark Landers who I’m not a huge fan of, Ken Hogan, Brian Hogan and then Tony Browne was on after the All-Ireland semi-final. Definitely worth a listen.
    TJ comes out with some lines. Before Tipp & Galway, he described it as a deaf dog, impossible to call!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Tiernan is some eejit - advantage of momentum ?

Both teams are in the final so they both have momentum ????

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I don't like the saying 'Limerick don't score goals'

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Good oul craic between Dan, Mac and TJ..
    Is Up For The Match on the television at all this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I don't like the saying 'Limerick don't score goals'

Agreed. People need to stop saying that. Remember 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Limerick don't score goals

As if it means anything to either team

Anyway who has said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Agreed. People need to stop saying that. Remember 2007.

I'm more thinking about how stupid they made us look in walsh park last year, utterly emptied, i worked witha player in dublin at the time, he copped me as as waterford fan but didnt know him well ,only time i proper talked to him was a short lift journey before that game, all you can say is look just do your best, and the real fans will stick with you **** the rest of them .

whatever happens sunday we wont be caught short like that again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Motivator wrote: »
    Limerick played well in the Munster Final in 2007, a lot better than people give them credit for. I think we got 1-3 in the last couple of minutes and beat them by 9 in the end.

To clear up the thing about tiredness against Limerick in the semi final, it was mental fatigue that got to the players not physical. The two Cork games took their toll on the players and beating Cork in Croke Park was a massive thing for us back then. Was it the first time ever Waterford had beaten them outside of Munster? Cork were our main rivals and we were in the thick of the brilliant games in 2007 and we had played them 3 times in 6 weeks. The players were wrecked from travelling 3 times on the train to Dublin 3 weeks in a row and mentally they were shot. I remember taking to a couple of players after the All Ireland in 2008 and they said it took them nearly a week to get over the Tipperary game they were that mentally drained. Physically Waterford were the fittest team in Ireland in 2007.

There’s a lot made of the 3 weeks in a row defeat v limerick in 2007. Whether it was a factor is hard to say but bottom line is Limerick had our number that day. Bullied us and exposed weakness at fullback. We brought it back to a couple points in the second half and looked like we had the momentum back but they stuck to their plan and continued to carve open our defence. They learned a lot from Munster final defeat and in truth we just weren’t good enough to get over the line.

Hopefully we can turn it back on them Sunday

PS On the famous ‘big Dan got no goals’ statement from Richie Bennie, Dan actually scored 4 points from play that day funnily enough. It was a few other big names that were out muscled on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

PS On the famous ‘big Dan got no goals’ statement from Richie Bennie, Dan actually scored 4 points from play that day funnily enough. It was a few other big names that were out muscled on the day[/quote]

I recall bennis coming out with that ‘crass’ line alright when comments were sought from him at the end of the game.....in fact I think it was more than just ‘big dan got no goals’......he tagged on ‘we got 5’ or was it ‘we got five goals and big dan got none’........a lot of Waterford fans felt like giving him a ‘bunch of 5’s’ after that comment......Waterford probably would still have come up short in the final but would unlikely have completely collapsed like the ‘08 appearance.....it was the 5th semi defeat since ‘98 and a lot of the star players were coming towards the end......winning the ‘08 semi was almost like winning a final itself......but what followed was a throw back to the past such as 30plus pt defeats to cork in Munster finals and being relegated to division 3 and losing to teams like ’Mayo’ in the 80’s.......re-building and finally making a final again in 2017 and 2020 is some contrast to what has happened counties like Offaly in the last 10/15 years. Winning two all Ireland’s in the 90’s to struggling ad getting beaten by opposition such as Antrim / Kerry etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

It's about time we ended the long wait for the All Ireland. Every other big hurling county has won at least one in the last 25 years and Waterford have been back as a hurling force since 1998 and won every other trophy at senior and underage level so hopefully we can do it.
    Limerick deserve to be favourites with their success over the last few years but the Munster final shows there is not a lot between the teams. Waterford have improved since then and put up big scores against Clare and Kilkenny. We also have a better record at scoring goals where Limerick are happy to out point teams.
    It will be close but let's hope we are on right side of it after 5pm on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    PS On the famous ‘big Dan got no goals’ statement from Richie Bennie, Dan actually scored 4 points from play that day funnily enough. It was a few other big names that were out muscled on the day

I recall bennis coming out with that ‘crass’ line alright when comments were sought from him at the end of the game.....in fact I think it was more than just ‘big dan got no goals’......he tagged on ‘we got 5’ or was it ‘we got five goals and big dan got none’........a lot of Waterford fans felt like giving him a ‘bunch of 5’s’ after that comment......Waterford probably would still have come up short in the final but would unlikely have completely collapsed like the ‘08 appearance.....it was the 5th semi defeat since ‘98 and a lot of the star players were coming towards the end......winning the ‘08 semi was almost like winning a final itself......but what followed was a throw back to the past such as 30plus pt defeats to cork in Munster finals and being relegated to division 3 and losing to teams like ’Mayo’ in the 80’s.......re-building and finally making a final again in 2017 and 2020 is some contrast to what has happened counties like Offaly in the last 10/15 years. Winning two all Ireland’s in the 90’s to struggling ad getting beaten by opposition such as Antrim / Kerry etc..[/QUOTE]

I remember the Richie Bennis comments after the game. I thought it was harmless stuff. If anything it was a compliment to Dan and how happy Limerick were to have stopped him getting goals. Even the way he said it wasn’t in any way bitter or aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

benji79 wrote: »
    I recall bennis coming out with that ‘crass’ line alright when comments were sought from him at the end of the game.....in fact I think it was more than just ‘big dan got no goals’......he tagged on ‘we got 5’ or was it ‘we got five goals and big dan got none’........a lot of Waterford fans felt like giving him a ‘bunch of 5’s’ after that comment......Waterford probably would still have come up short in the final but would unlikely have completely collapsed like the ‘08 appearance.....it was the 5th semi defeat since ‘98 and a lot of the star players were coming towards the end......winning the ‘08 semi was almost like winning a final itself......but what followed was a throw back to the past such as 30plus pt defeats to cork in Munster finals and being relegated to division 3 and losing to teams like ’Mayo’ in the 80’s.......re-building and finally making a final again in 2017 and 2020 is some contrast to what has happened counties like Offaly in the last 10/15 years. Winning two all Ireland’s in the 90’s to struggling ad getting beaten by opposition such as Antrim / Kerry etc..

I remember the Richie Bennis comments after the game. I thought it was harmless stuff. If anything it was a compliment to Dan and how happy Limerick were to have stopped him getting goals. Even the way he said it wasn’t in any way bitter or aggressive[/quote]

If anyone is gets offended by Richie Bennie they need a chat with themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

benji79 wrote: »

I remember the Richie Bennis comments after the game. I thought it was harmless stuff. If anything it was a compliment to Dan and how happy Limerick were to have stopped him getting goals. Even the way he said it wasn’t in any way bitter or aggressive

It was smug and pointed, and pretty harsh thing to say about a man who just lost a 5th semi final against all the odds, and on another day could have scored a hat trick had it fallen right for him.

Id imagine you'd think differently if Davy Fitz said that...

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

It was smug and pointed, and pretty harsh thing to say about a man who just lost a 5th semi final against all the odds, and on another day could have scored a hat trick had it fallen right for him.

Id imagine you'd think differently if Davy Fitz said that...

Don’t think it was any of those things.

Explained well the difference in the game. Limerick got goals and Dan didn’t. He was only answering the question asked about the winning of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

can remember him apologising also very quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/tv-honan-if-silence-really-is-golden-waterford-will-mine-nuggets-on-sunday-1.4431961

Think the stained glass behind the Aussie photo could be in The Granville (but maybe not).

Not much atmosphere here in Dublin. Strangely enough, there's a lot of Limerick natives around where I live (all sound people !). There's a house near The Leopardstown Inn that was bedecked in blue and white for the 2017 AI final ... I just took a walk around there now and the Waterford colours are proudly flying high.

Still no sign of the xmas jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I got an email today that my order had been processed and shipping would take 2-3 working days, so I'm really hoping it arrives on Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

JD60 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/tv-honan-if-silence-really-is-golden-waterford-will-mine-nuggets-on-sunday-1.4431961

Think the stained glass behind the Aussie photo could be in The Granville (but maybe not).

Not much atmosphere here in Dublin. Strangely enough, there's a lot of Limerick natives around where I live (all sound people !). There's a house near The Leopardstown Inn that was bedecked in blue and white for the 2017 AI final ... I just took a walk around there now and the Waterford colours are proudly flying high.

The boundary is formed by River Tohrig in Youghal not the Blackwater!!

Precision matters with county boundaries!!

• Advertisement

I got an email today that my order had been processed and shipping would take 2-3 working days, so I'm really hoping it arrives on Saturday!!

I got that on Monday

As you said all the freebies been given out first to all the social media darlings and the paid customers been left in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mine arrived about 20 mins ago.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Mine arrived about 20 mins ago.

Was it normal post or a courier

Was it normal post or a courier

Courier, but they obviously see me as a big deal on boards.ie......

I got that on Monday

As you said all the freebies been given out first to all the social media darlings and the paid customers been left in the dark

FWIW, I got that email yesterday at about 6pm and it arrived today at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

I got mine yesterday (Limerick one) after ordering on 29th Nov

Courier, but they obviously see me as a big deal on boards.ie......

The Instagram account of ganzee has been sharing a lot of Irish personalities receiving their limerick jumpers - all marked as press gifts. A shame really when all the money was going to charity that they still gave them away as gifts, they'd easily have sold those to raise more money I reckon.

FWIW, I got that email yesterday at about 6pm and it arrived today at 3pm

Fingers crossed mine will arrive tomorrow so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

I wish I'd ordered a christmas jumper now.. it seems like the perfect substitute for the ticket hunt!

• Advertisement

Let's hope we will be like the Chicago Cubs on Sunday

Obv can't be having crowds running wild :D

Advertisement