Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Minor hurling team for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Minor hurling team for Saturday

Anyone know much about this team, is it a decent side? I know that full forward Patrick Fitzgerald is a bit of a scoring machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

All I can say is that the county final between Ballygunner and Abbeyside (seven of the starting team and two subs between them) was a high-quality game played in difficult conditions. Fitzgerald virtually won the game on his own.

For an interesting extra angle on next Sunday’s All-Ireland final, you may be interested in checkling out the following url:

https://tipperarystudies.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Tipperary%20GAA%20Yearbook%201996%20reduced.pdf

Check out the hurling team on page 23, and in particular the three players on their hunkers in the middle of the front row. I tried to upload a screenshot of the team and caption, but failed miserably. Perhaps someone else might manage this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Hope Waterford create history at the weekend. Long overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Cake Man wrote: »
    Anyone know much about this team, is it a decent side? I know that full forward Patrick Fitzgerald is a bit of a scoring machine.

Fitzgerald is a serious talent. Interesting to see so many from the west and not much from the East outside of Ballygunner. Particularly smaller clubs like brickeys, colligan and Modeligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

fair play to the guy, that sort of music is not my cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

fair play to the guy, that sort of music is not my cup of tea

me neither, but produced werll nice track, town looks well, and the premise ,lighting and editing is good

he could have cut out the chorus tis a bit reptitiive

Sleep is going to be an issue the next few nights, nerves kicking in

a substantial meal and a few pints needed :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Any word on a team for Sunday lads? I reckon Montgomery to start instead of Dillon. I think Ian Kenny has done enough to keep his place even though Fives is back from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Any word on a team for Sunday lads? I reckon Montgomery to start instead of Dillon. I think Ian Kenny has done enough to keep his place even though Fives is back from injury.
    I know he’s a lost hope, but any word on Darragh Fives’ injury? Does anyone actually know what the problem is?
    Such a talented hurler who’s body unfortunately just hasn’t been able to sustain the rigors of GAA. I suspect he will call it quits after this year, Shane probably too.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Waternut wrote: »
    I know he’s a lost hope, but any word on Darragh Fives’ injury? Does anyone actually know what the problem is?
    Such a talented hurler who’s body unfortunately just hasn’t been able to sustain the rigors of GAA. I suspect he will call it quits after this year, Shane probably too.

I heard directly from a member of the panel (and not Paudi Mahoney who also said it during the week in the media) that Darragh was playing the hurling of his life in the build up to the Cork game before he broke down. It's a massive shame that injury has constantly held him back during his career as the sky was the limit for his ability. Genuinely could have seen him win multiple all stars I'd he was able to get a decent run of games.

I heard directly from a member of the panel (and not Paudi Mahoney who also said it during the week in the media) that Darragh was playing the hurling of his life in the build up to the Cork game before he broke down. It's a massive shame that injury has constantly held him back during his career as the sky was the limit for his ability. Genuinely could have seen him win multiple all stars I'd he was able to get a decent run of games.
    I honestly believe he is the most natural and skilful defender we have and would have thieved under Cahill and the game the way it is being played these days. Such a shame. I think he is probably a bigger loss than Paidi. And as for the whole Shane Bennett situation. It upsets me, though he’s a young man and is entities to choose and do what he wants to do and fair play to him if the time demands etc of County GAA are not for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Hopefully ye win on Sunday but I would prefer to see a better day forecast as I think it might suit Limerick a bit more--hopefully it has blown off before throw-in.

Sunday: Rain will linger in the eastern half of the country Sunday morning, possibly turning heavier at times. Brighter conditions with showers further west will extend nationwide during the afternoon, some showers will be heavy. A mild day with highest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees. Moderate to fresh southerly winds will increase strong in southern coastal counties during the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I honestly believe he is the most natural and skilful defender we have and would have thieved under Cahill and the game the way it is being played these days. Such a shame. I think he is probably a bigger loss than Paidi. And as for the whole Shane Bennett situation. It upsets me, though he’s a young man and is entities to choose and do what he wants to do and fair play to him if the time demands etc of County GAA are not for him.

Somebody mentioned he's working in Carlingford at the moment. I'm sure if he does move closer to home again he'd reconsider.

I think Philip Mahony opted out for a year because he was working in Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Somebody mentioned he's working in Carlingford at the moment. I'm sure if he does move closer to home again he'd reconsider.

I think Philip Mahony opted out for a year because he was working in Cavan?

Philip Mahony is a teacher in De La Salle?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Yeah last number of years dara fives would have been in my top 5 players on the panel in my view, up there with Aussie, tadhg, Barron and Bennett. Dara is such a skillfull and quality hurler, such a shame so many seasons have been ruined by injury for him and he has shown unbelievable commitment and heart to keep coming back.

dessie and calum Lyons definitely breaking into that bracket of really top class players for me now too which is great to see.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    For an interesting extra angle on next Sunday’s All-Ireland final, you may be interested in checkling out the following url:

https://tipperarystudies.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Tipperary%20GAA%20Yearbook%201996%20reduced.pdf

Check out the hurling team on page 23, and in particular the three players on their hunkers in the middle of the front row. I tried to upload a screenshot of the team and caption, but failed miserably. Perhaps someone else might manage this.

As no one has followed up on this, the photo in question is of the Tipperary minor hurling team which lost the 1995 Munster semi-final to Waterford by a point in Fermoy. It was the second year in a row that Tipp lost by a point to Waterford in this competition.

The three players in the middle of the front row are Mikey Bevans (with a mop of long black hair), Liam Cahill and, believe it or not, Fergal Horgan, who was the goalkeeper. I presume those who chose Horgan to referee the final were not aware of this. It might also help explain Horgan’s apparent attitude to Waterford as a referee.

I remember the game well. Tipperary targetted Dan Shanahan, who was the Waterford danger man, but he stood up to the rough treatment very well on the night. There were some very good players on that Tipperary team, including Eamonn Corcoran, Eugene O’Neill, Paul Ormond, John Carroll, and Donncha Fahy as well as Cahill and Bevans. O’Neill scored 1-11 when Tipp got revenge in the Munster final the following year.

I was told afterwards that, before the game started, Donie Nealon, the Munster GAA Secretary and Tipperary hurling legend, handed the Waterford county secretary a package, telling him it was Waterford’s allocation of tickets for the Munster final. The Waterford secretary asked him how did he know how many tickets to include, as the number of tickets Waterford would get would depend on whether Waterford were in the minor final or not. Apparently it never occurred to Nealon that Waterford might win the semi-final!

It was a strong Waterford team, including Ken McGrath, Eoin Murphy, Dave Bennett and Haulie White as well as Dan Shanahan. However, they imploded on the day of the final and were well beaten by a Cork team which included Donal Óg Cusack, Seán Óg O hAilpin, Mickey O’Connell, Timmy McCarthy and Joe Deane. That was the boiling hot day when Clare won their first Munster championship in something like 80 years, beating Limerick with the help of a Davy Fitzgerald penalty. Cork went on to win the All-Ireland minor title, beating Kilkenny easily in the final.

Incidentally, that year Offaly, the defending champions, were strong favourites to win the final, but Clare put in a huge effort to squeeze out a narrow win. They say that the team with the better attitude tends to get the breaks, and Clare certainly got a big break that day, with the ball coming back off an upright and falling kindly for Clare substitute Eamonn Taaffe, who banged it to the back of the net for the late goal that essentially won the game for Clare. Here’s for a similar result for the underdogs on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Philip Mahony is a teacher in De La Salle?

He opted out in 2013 for a year, was he teaching/working up there at that point?

Only going of something that was mentioned on here at that time, have no knowledge of it myself.

• Advertisement

No jumper balls anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The picture that giveitfong was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

No jumper balls anyway

Head up on the day, you can usually find a few jumpers for sale around the place.

Make up a sign saying how many jumpers you are looking for and hopefully someone with a spare will come along.

puzl wrote: »
    Head up on the day, you can usually find a few jumpers for sale around the place.

Make up a sign saying how many jumpers you are looking for and hopefully someone with a spare will come along.

If only ha

No jumper balls anyway

Chin up buddy, I'm sure there are more important things in life then a jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

What time is the team being announced? Nerves getting to me now

Ian OB wrote: »

Should be tonight sometime

Yeah need a few drinks to calm the nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Drove from the city to dungarvan today great to see all the white and blue along the way, very disappointed with the abbyside area home of the team captain, little or no colour around the area, no sign or anything wishing the team well, kilmeaden, kilmac , lemiebrien all decked out with best wishes flags and signs,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Ian OB wrote: »

The only questions on the team are Ian Kenny / Shane fives and Neil Montgomery / jake dillon I imagine. I can't imagine there'll be any dummy team in terms of starting line up. In fairness there won't really be in terms of positions either, because the numbers don't mean a whole lot anymore.

I don't think there's a huge amount between any of those lads. I know Jake dillon wasn't great against kilkenny, but a lot of our lads weren't when he went off. And he was very good in the other games, so I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

• Advertisement

Chin up buddy, I'm sure there are more important things in life then a jumper.

More frustrating that i ordered it on the 29th Nov and was sent an email on monday saying it was processed. Ah well i'll still wear it proudly over the holidays

Advertisement