Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

deckie66 wrote: »
    Agreed even though Daly did very good when he came on

He did very well, but we had one less impact sub when needed it in the last 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

deise08 wrote: »
    How did two hits to the privates get left off?

In every tackle limerick left the Hurley in there, but why not if the ref let’s it go they are entitled to keeping doing it. No sour grapes we were beaten well by a better team. 62 years 😀roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭decies

As good as Limerick were ( still think they are cynical)and yes you’re only as good as the opposition let us , I thought we were poor to be honest , we were only three points down at half but we had nothing in the tank for the second half . We knew we had to play to our maximum of our abilities to have any chance to win this and I thought we fell way short . Many people pillored Derek Mcgrath for that all All Ireland loss does Liam Cahill get a pass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

As i said in the main thread

Maybe if waterford get a winter to master the dark arts
    Maybe cahill will get his hands on dj foran and develop.

You can be as talented as you want but the writing is on the wall here .
    Bulk and cynicism win. We clearly cant beat them so about time we joined them

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Have to say well done to Austin Gleeson, lot of criticism over the years for losing his head, but for someone to try and injure someone like that and not to react takes a lot of maturity. Outstanding performance as well.

Thought the ref. won Limerick the first half shocking decision after shocking decision until he was out of breath and just started blowing for everything with 10 minutes left but we knew that would be how it was always gonna be with that piece of sh*t. Limerick holding on to hurleys and pulling Waterford players down was fair play for the ref like the filthy play reared its head. God forbid Waterford players tip a Limerick player... I've still not idea what the free was for after the two goal saves and bringing back the sideline puck to stop us getting a point is par for the course for the biased f*ck that is the "referee".

Thought we tried to adapt in the second half and missed De Burca a lot on him sweeping up a lot of the ball and his pressure in the half back line and hopefully we wont miss him next year.

The only thing to say is that this team has a lot more to give as they settle in to the roles and they are getting better despite the blip of today. Think they got caught a bit in the headlights and they can play a lot better than they showed. Hopefully it will be more motivation for next year and hopefully we wont get that ignorant piece of sh*t of a ref again.

• Advertisement

carq wrote: »
    As i said in the main thread

Maybe if waterford get a winter to master the dark arts
    Maybe cahill will get his hands on dj foran and develop.

You can be as talented as you want but the writing is on the wall here .
    Bulk and cynicism win. We clearly cant beat them so about time we joined them

Nah fk that we tried that with Davy and it put our hurling back a decade, lets focus on actually playing the game the way and not the trying to injure someone permanently. This kind of criticism after seeing the team develop so much over the year is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Congratulations to Limerick. The best team in the country over the last three years by far. We did very well getting to the final and should look back at the year with positivity. On the day it just didn't happen and Limerick were in control. A lot of our players didn't hit their heights but I'd have to put that down to Limerick's dominance as the Waterford players gave their all. The only thing I would look back on is the goal chances. The old saying, "take your points and the goals will come" is very applicable to our performance today. Psychologically, it's better to keep the scoreboard ticking over but when they go in, it's great though obviously and we always needed a couple. I hope Tadhg is ok and have to say that young Daly did not let him down.

Oh and I thought Jack Prendergast was outstanding today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Better team won and despite their best efforts, Limerick were too strong for us. We kept getting 1 on 2 or 3 against Limerick players and we were never going to win those collisons. To beat Limerick you have got to retain your puck outs and avoid the hits.

The 10 minutes before half time was our best period but we weren't able to keep it up. Hopefully they'll push on from this year's efforts and go again next year and get to the promised land. 61 years is long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id guess any of today's squad will be in Tuesdays under 20 squad?

Nah fk that we tried that with Davy and it put our hurling back a decade, lets focus on actually playing the game the way and not the trying to injure someone permanently. This kind of criticism after seeing the team develop so much over the year is insane.

Ball winning was an issue today. We ruled the skies against kk but 6’5 is a different ball game to 6’1, not sure fagan, montgomery won a clean catch today.

Im not advocating injuring people or stopping an attacking game when we have ball in hand. What happened before the off in 2008 was unseemly and not good.

Just half fouls from multiple people at the same time so nobody gets the yellow card. If you cant see if gives (the other team) a huge advantage then its naive of you.

Rugby teams ‘play the ref’, i think today limerick for sure played the ref. The austin gleeson incident in the first half was a 2 point swing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

It's sad to see tbh but it has been heading this way since Kilkenny in the 00s. Hurling is going the way of football now. Skill is nice but will only get you so far, it's all about physicality now and lads bulking up, hitting the weights and heavy bag. Not even sour grapes, Limerick have lovely hurlers too but what stuck in the eye was it was literally at times like watching a good amateur team playing against a professional outfit. The physical differences were striking and it doesn't make for pretty viewing.

Thought Horgan was the same for both sides. Waterford scored 11 points in the first half , I think only 2 were from play, 8 frees and a sideline cut. Waterford had no answer for the power and pace of Limerick ( like other teams this year) Strength and conditioning is now as important as stick work.

Like I mean when you can whack someone in the balls with a hurley thats not power and pace, same regards dragging down and holding someones hurley. Its not intensity its not hurling its just bad refereeing. We should've had a hell of a lot more frees.

Also you cant fkin score from play if youre dragged down every time you've the ball, how stupid do you have to be to criticsie that? They dragged Waterford players down to make sure we got nowhere enar their goal. Cynical and the ref was happy to let it play out.

I hate when its "oh phyiscality or intensity" blah blah blah... marty morrisey on repeat, it was Limerick being bale to knock the ball over the posts from out the field. Its a lot a of skill and a bit of experience.

What we couldn't stick with was Limerick's accuracy in the second half and letting them get to the ball first. Thats a tactical thing and possibly with Tadgh De Burca missing we couldn't stop them feeding their forwards with balls in to space.

Ball winning was an issue today. We ruled the skies against kk but 6’5 is a different ball game to 6’1, not sure fagan, montgomery won a clean catch today.

Im not advocating injuring people or stopping an attacking game when we have ball in hand. What happened before the off in 2008 was unseemly and not good.

Just half fouls from multiple people at the same time so nobody gets the yellow card. If you cant see if gives (the other team) a huge advantage then its naive of you.

Rugby teams ‘play the ref’, i think today limerick for sure played the ref. The austin gleeson incident in the first half was a 2 point swing.

If you think this ref would've let Waterford make a half foul you're away with the birds. every time there was someone near a Limerick player they got a foul. This team can be cynical but if the ref blows when you dont make a foul you cannot "half foulf" someone. We've made plenty of cynic fouls during the season but we saw it against Kilkenny and again today, this ref has consistently made calls against Waterford.

If Austin Gleeson had done half of what was done to him he would've been off the pitch and the commentators would've been laying in to him

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5948ai

Horgan should never have got the match. Simple as.

It's sad to see tbh but it has been heading this way since Kilkenny in the 00s. Hurling is going the way of football now. Skill is nice but will only get you so far, it's all about physicality now and lads bulking up, hitting the weights and heavy bag. Not even sour grapes, Limerick have lovely hurlers too but what stuck in the eye was it was literally at times like watching a good amateur team playing against a professional outfit. The physical differences were striking and it doesn't make for pretty viewing.

How small do you think the Waterford team actually is? They're all massive with the exception of Barron who nobody can get the sliotar off of anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

How small do you think the Waterford team actually is? They're all massive with the exception of Barron who nobody can get the sliotar off of anyway.

They're not small at all but they're not built like the type of rugby hybrids that were wearing green ganseys today. It's been heading in this direction for a while now but can honestly say I've never seen such a uniformity of that type of physique in a hurling team before.

Sure look I know the answer is bulk up our lads and get them as aggressive etc but that to me is a sad state of affairs because in that scenario even the off the ball play and point taking you saw from Limerick doesn't happen, there is just big hits and rucks as you'd have two teams of equally tuned up monsters.

Could reduce to 13 a side to negate the size impact I guess.

If you think this ref would've let Waterford make a half foul you're away with the birds. every time there was someone near a Limerick player they got a foul. This team can be cynical but if the ref blows when you dont make a foul you cannot "half foulf" someone. We've made plenty of cynic fouls during the season but we saw it against Kilkenny and again today, this ref has consistently made calls against Waterford.

If Austin Gleeson had done half of what was done to him he would've been off the pitch and the commentators would've been laying in to him

Its like you are 2 seperate people posting under the one account!?
    I dont think we are in disagreement here.
    Both ball shots should have been yellows - were they both by 12 lim?
    My whole point is that limerick played ‘on the edge’ , waterford didnt. That’ edge’ is decided by the referee who we know is incompetent. Limerick won. How much their ‘defensive approach ‘ contributed is up for debate but to me it was huge.

Before this game, They fouled more than the opposition in every game. This is a clear tactic.
    Im sure their stats man was banking on the ref looking for ‘balance’ and letting every second foul go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

When Jamie Barron burst out of the first ruck only to be flattened on his back by the Limerick man and no whistle I knew we were in trouble, MMA is a mans game

Its like you are 2 seperate people posting under the one account!?
    I dont think we are in disagreement here.
    Both ball shots should have been yellows - were they both by 12 lim?
    My whole point is that limerick played ‘on the edge’ , waterford didnt. That’ edge’ is decided by the referee who we know is incompetent. Limerick won. How much their ‘defensive approach ‘ contributed is up for debate but to me it was huge.

Before this game, They fouled more than the opposition in every game. This is a clear tactic.
    Im sure their stats man was banking on the ref looking for ‘balance’ and letting every second foul go.

I'm pretty consistent. I'm saying that if we had went out and done what Limerick done today we would've been destroyed by the ref. We, as Waterford, cannot go out and foul like other certain teams can. I'm not saying don't play cynically I'm just saying too much focus on it takes away from the actual hurling.

These lads know every trick in the book, they know when they can go in rough and today they couldn't (with this ref) unless they wanted to be sent off.

Limerick were getting frees for not fouls, we literally couldn't hassle them, it was insane. We were playing on the edge just by being on the pitch, and I think I know what you're saying but nobody on that Waterford team isn't going to push what they can get away with. Dont think any of them are naive, they're not.

They're not small at all but they're not built like the type of rugby hybrids that were wearing green ganseys today. It's been heading in this direction for a while now but can honestly say I've never seen such a uniformity of that type of physique in a hurling team before.

Sure look I know the answer is bulk up our lads and get them as aggressive etc but that to me is a sad state of affairs because in that scenario even the off the ball play and point taking you saw from Limerick doesn't happen, there is just big hits and rucks as you'd have two teams of equally tuned up monsters.

I think you genuinely might benefit in seeing more of them live in person. I'd doubt theres much size difference in both sides, the Waterford team are genuinely one of the biggest teams I've seen. I'd say 14 out of the 15 starting of them are 6 foot plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

5948ai wrote: »
    Horgan should never have got the match. Simple as.
    We were beaten by a better team. Not only did Limerick hunt in packs better than us, they are better hurlers than us.

We need to accept we were beaten by the better team, fair and square. Waterford have come a long way this year and we need to accept that Limerick are just a few years ahead of us in terms of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Congrats to Limerick..They're further down the road in terms of development than we are..
    Massive credit to Liam Cahill and his management..He has put pride back into Waterford hurling in half a year in charge.. That Limerick side are 4 years ahead of us.. We will be there or there about in the next few years if the core of that side stay together.. I know we are all disappointed tonight, but at the start of this year, who'd have thought we would have reached an All lreland.. DÉISE ABÚ

Waternut wrote: »
    We were beaten by a better team. Not only did Limerick hunt in packs better than us, they are better hurlers than us.

We need to accept we were beaten by the better team, fair and square. Waterford have come a long way this year and we need to accept that Limerick are just a few years ahead of us in terms of development.

I agree they're farther down the line than us... better hurlers I wouldn't be so sure. They won key battles today and their experience showed. They were a lto stronger in the air and very acurate. Its easy to make big statements from one match but this Waterford side is amazingly talented with the sliotar.

I have to say the funniest reffing moment was the throw in when there was no Waterford player, literally just straight to a Limerick player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Comiserations

Still a good year for Waterford

Hold on now. Limerick are a massive team but they are well able to hurl. Flanagan, Gillane, Morrissey and Hegarty are all one touch hurlers, ball in the hand and over the bar. Compare that with our forwards. They might be all 6’4 + lads but those lads have more hurling than probably 4 of the Waterford forwards. And that was our problem today. We had only 3 or 4 points scored from play at half time.

We were beaten by the better team today and I Limerick would have beaten any team today.

Hold on now. Limerick are a massive team but they are well able to hurl. Flanagan, Gillane, Morrissey and Hegarty are all one touch hurlers, ball in the hand and over the bar. Compare that with our forwards. They might be all 6’4 + lads but those lads have more hurling than probably 4 of the Waterford forwards. And that was our problem today. We had only 3 or 4 points scored from play at half time.

We were beaten by the better team today and I Limerick would have beaten any team today.

You should be able to score a point as you're being dragged down?... you'd want to be some player to do that. You must be or have been some player.

You should be able to score a point as you're being dragged down?... you'd want to be some player to do that. You must be or have been some player.
    It’s a man’s game. I don’t want to be negative. I’m happy with what Waterford achieved, but you are looking at things through blue tinted glasses if you think that those Limerick players aren’t fantastic wristy hurlers. They are a few years ahead of us in development and hurling

It’s a man’s game. I don’t want to be negative. I’m happy with what Waterford achieved, but you are looking at things through blue tinted glasses if you think that those Limerick players aren’t fantastic wristy hurlers. They are a few years ahead of us in development and hurling

When did I say they're not fantastic hurlers, I actually think they're amazing hurlers. Please read my posts.

What I am saying is that you're completely wrong to criticise the Waterford forward line for not scoring much from play in the first half when every time they had the sliotar they were dragged down. I don't know how you expect them to do that.

Pity we didn't make more of the goal chances and the ref we were given.

I think this "oh they Limerick team are amazing and we're nowhere near" rubbish is exhausting to read. I would've said so last year but a combination of the ref padding the scoreline for Limerick and trying to go for goal at the end gave them a very very flattering scoreline. We're a lot closer than you seem to think.

• Advertisement

I think you genuinely might benefit in seeing more of them live in person. I'd doubt theres much size difference in both sides, the Waterford team are genuinely one of the biggest teams I've seen. I'd say 14 out of the 15 starting of them are 6 foot plus.

I compared the squads

6’5 2:1 limerick / waterford
    6’4 3:0 limerick / waterford
    6’3 1 :0 limerick/ waterford
    6’2 6:5 limerick/ waterford
    6’1 9:7 limerick / waterford
    6’0 5:6 limerick/ waterford
    5’11 5:5 limerick / waterford
    5’10 3:5 limerick/ waterford
    5’9 1:3 limerick / waterford
    5’8 0:2 limerick / waterford
    5’7 1:2 limerick / waterford