Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

carq wrote: »
    I compared the squads

6’5 2:1 limerick / waterford
    6’4 3:0 limerick / waterford
    6’3 1 :0 limerick/ waterford
    6’2 6:5 limerick/ waterford
    6’1 9:7 limerick / waterford
    6’0 5:6 limerick/ waterford
    5’11 5:5 limerick / waterford
    5’10 3:5 limerick/ waterford
    5’9 1:3 limerick / waterford
    5’8 0:2 limerick / waterford
    5’7 1:2 limerick / waterford

limerick starting team

6’1
    5’10/ 6’1/ 6’2
    6’4/ 6’5/ 6’3
    5’11 / 6’2
    6’5 / 5’11 / 6’1
    6’1 / 6’2 / 5’9

Whats the Waterford starting team come out as? I'm genuinely curious

Edit: this is what I found
    5,10/ 6,5/ 6,0
    Lyons? / 6,0/ 6,2
    5,9/ 6,0
    Fagan?/ Montgomery?/ 6,1
    5,10/ 6,1/ 6,1

Yeah that half back line/ forward line is massive and difficult to get past so the best approach is you either need to skip it or run at it like we've been doing all year. But that was always the way to do it ( although its not like we didnt win any of our puckouts though). It was very difficult to do short puckouts today as we were constantly fouled from short puckouts and the ref couldn't have cared less alongide the injury to De Burca. I dont think throwing in "big lads" will make much of a difference... I think just playing better and being more tactical with our puckouts. The team definitely have more in them than they showed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

Very deflated.

Limerick fully deserving of the victory but Horgan is some excuse of a referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope the under 20s give a good account of themselves on Tuesday night. As always Tipperary will have a strong panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

A lot of things had to go waterford‘s way today to be in with a chance of a win....unfortunately very little did, de Bourca limping off was the first thing to go wrong...(.although Marty seemed to think it was just a temporary situation and he would be back on)...every ball a Limerick forward or half back got seemed to go over the bar.....at times it looked like a training session in the second half, all the heroics from certain players in the semi v Kk weren’t repeated today, they weren’t able to deal with the Limerick set up, was it nerves/stage fright or just not being good enough...?..Limerick could now well dominate like Dublin or at least the media will hype them up to this level....!

On the plus side for waterford not even the most optimistic supporter or media person would have predicted a Final appearance for waterford, so if Cahill and his team stay on and Mahoney and maybe Shane bennet returns to panel and one or two others develop there is a chance the famine may end in the next 2/3 years...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    A lot of things had to go waterford‘s way today to be in with a chance of a win....unfortunately very little did, de Bourca limping off was the first thing to go wrong...(.although Marty seemed to think it was just a temporary situation and he would be back on)...every ball a Limerick forward or half back got seemed to go over the bar.....at times it looked like a training session in the second half, all the heroics from certain players in the semi v Kk weren’t repeated today, they weren’t able to deal with the Limerick set up, was it nerves/stage fright or just not being good enough...?..Limerick could now well dominate like Dublin or at least the media will hype them up to this level....!

On the plus side for waterford not even the most optimistic supporter or media person would have predicted a Final appearance for waterford, so if Cahill and his team stay on and Mahoney and maybe Shane bennet returns to panel and one or two others develop there is a chance the famine may end in the next 2/3 years...!
    That’s the problem though I said before the game it’s now or never . Obviously it was a nice surprise to get into the final but the stark reality was we were well beaten at the end of the day, due a combination of the physicality and skill of Limerick but also a lot of of our players just Didn’t turn up . I think we are going to regret for a long time losing that all ireland to Galway .Just worried that the likes of tipp will be back stronger again , as well as Kilkenny and Galway. Officially we are the second best hurling team in Ireland this year , just not sure we can sustain in at the very top table . We really need to finish these finals off because they are a rare event in Waterford Hurling history . I wish them well just worried that the road is going to be tougher then we think .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

JD60 wrote: »
    Very deflated.

Limerick fully deserving of the victory but Horgan is some excuse of a referee.

Every word there sums up what I'm feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Changing game

Howya all .
    Long time reader but first time poster. Have been a long time & obsessive follower of Waterford hurling at both club and county level. Like many/most of ye I have sucked up both the hurt and ecstasy of following our beloved county , for to many years . No plan in stoping either but I do feel we are once again at a crossroads.

Limericks hurling is in no doubt
    exceptional but it has to be said they have taken cynicism to a new level . When they have the ball they are a joy to watch but when they dont they are more than happy to conceed free after free rather than allow the oposition build momentum. Its a clever and calculated game assisted by both the refa & Gaa , in the name of keeping the game flowing (dont even start me Horgan ) . I would not suggest our own players are saints, but at the moment we do lack ( like most other teams) that cynical approach that limerick have perfected. In truth it something that easier to develop while winning,
    Where do we go from here ?
    For better or worse & and I do believe it for the worse, we must adjust to the game . I Reckon Cahill and Bevens are well aware of this but it will not be a short transition and I hope we can hold on to them for at least the next two years .
    Its not the first and it wont be the last change in a game that we all love , but make no mistake about it
    it is a dramatic step closer to a professional approach and this sort of development does not happen without massive capital imput over a number of years , Ask JP
    The lads gave it ther all , if perhaps not there best , and like the last 30 years u will still be looking forward to next year .
    Up The Desie

Howya all .
    Long time reader but first time poster. Have been a long time & obsessive follower of Waterford hurling at both club and county level. Like many/most of ye I have sucked up both the hurt and ecstasy of following our beloved county , for to many years . No plan in stoping either but I do feel we are once again at a crossroads.

exceptional but it has to be said they have taken cynicism to a new level . When they have the ball they are a joy to watch but when they dont they are more than happy to conceed free after free rather than allow the oposition build momentum. Its a clever and calculated game assisted by both the refa & Gaa , in the name of keeping the game flowing (dont even start me Horgan ) . I would not suggest our own players are saints, but at the moment we do lack ( like most other teams) that cynical approach that limerick have perfected. In truth it something that easier to develop while winning,
    For better or worse & and I do believe it for the worse, we must adjust to the game . I Reckon Cahill and Bevens are well aware of this but it will not be a short transition and I hope we can hold on to them for at least the next two years .
    Its not the first and it wont be the last change in a game that we all love , but make no mistake about it
    it is a dramatic step closer to a professional approach and this sort of development does not happen without massive capital imput over a number of years , Ask JP
    The lads gave it ther all , if perhaps not there best , and like the last 30 years u will still be looking forward to next year .
    Up The Desie

Good post but I think we're only a few months in to playing the way Cahill wants them to play, another few months and we might be making more of the goal chances we create, better at puckouts and being more accurate in Croke Park, give this setup and players some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah disappointing way to end the year, we never once looked like we’d actually do it. Was a very bitter pill to swallow constantly seeing limerick players winning ball after ball and found their scores almost effortless to come by. We on the other hand struggled, swarmed at every opportunity by 3 or 4 Limerick players and coughed up some easy scores from handling errors didn’t help.

Tadhg going off was a huge blow, if even for just the psychological affect on the rest of the team. Reminded me a bit like Tony Kelly picking up that injury when we played them. Don’t think it would’ve changed the outcome in any way regardless, Limerick were just too good for us on the day and fair play to them.

Will be interesting to see what things Cahill changes for next year (and other teams for that matter) to try compete with Limerick. Will it be a case of trying harder to replicate them (hammer the hammer approach) or come up with something different.

Anyway, fair play to the lads. It has been a good year and nobody expected us to even get this far. Hopefully the experience stands to the likes of Prunty, Lyons, Monty, Prendergast, Fagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I agree they're farther down the line than us... better hurlers I wouldn't be so sure.

How many times have they beaten Waterford this year? They are better than Waterford right now but we will have to see after 2020 where the road takes us.

• Advertisement

Good post but I think we're only a few months in to playing the way Cahill wants them to play, another few months and we might be making more of the goal chances we create, better at puckouts and being more accurate in Croke Park, give this setup and players some time.

I do hope you are right , as I said ill be there , or at least I hope so (taking Covid restrictions into consideing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Howya all .

Up The Desie

I don't think we have to play a cynical game, its just I think Limerick bullied us today and a referee that allowed it which is shocking for an AI final. Hopefully a blackcard or sin bin will be brought in for cynical play and over physicality, otherwise the game will turn into a free for all. again I don't want to take from Limerick who deservedly won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Any word on Tadghs injury lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Derek for a 2022 return, Cahill will get the tipp job when Sheedy goes and we have to realize that

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

Another final defeat ...hard to take but i suppose we ve made huge strides this year with cahill.

No shame in losing to that Limerick team....just disappointed we cant seem to produce our best stuff in finals

Couldnt seem to win any ball in the air..agree with other posters...limerick play on edge regarding fouling..they seem to have perfected it.

Imteresting to see new faces next year ....will shane bennett come back...we could do with his pace and finishing.

Strength and conditioning will be key again on closing the gap with limerick.

All in all...who could have predicted us getting to the final back in january...but we need to win one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

So my feelings on Fergal are very strong. He didn't lose us the match today, but he didn't help us.
    Bad anall as it is as a spectator watching with a bad/biased ref, how must it feel being a player?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Derek for a 2022 return, Cahill will get the tipp job when Sheedy goes and we have to realize that

Prob depends how we go next year.

If its a good year he has option of a third.

Not sure if he will hop straight back to tipp

but next year huge for future of this team.

I don't think we have to play a cynical game, its just I think Limerick bullied us today and a referee that allowed it which is shocking for an AI final. Hopefully a blackcard or sin bin will be brought in for cynical play and over physicality, otherwise the game will turn into a free for all. again I don't want to take from Limerick who deservedly won

I really hope that u are right , but until the media start shouting about it ( and I dont see that happening anytime soon ) then the refs will not be directed otherwise, perhaps it just being on the losing side to often but Horgan seems to have an issue with us .
    Lesser of two evils perhaps I Would not like to see the sin bin or black card come in but i would hate to see the game keep going the way it is,
    All that said, I cant but admire the skill levels of Limerick, and hope as a team we can emulate sooner rater than later

cnocsion wrote: »
    Another final defeat ...hard to take but i suppose we ve made huge strides this year with cahill.

No shame in losing to that Limerick team....just disappointed we cant seem to produce our best stuff in finals

Couldnt seem to win any ball in the air..agree with other posters...limerick play on edge regarding fouling..they seem to have perfected it.

Imteresting to see new faces next year ....will shane bennett come back...we could do with his pace and finishing.

Strength and conditioning will be key again on closing the gap with limerick.

All in all...who could have predicted us getting to the final back in january...but we need to win one soon.

Wouldnt be too downbeat if i was a Waterford fan. Huge progress made. Limerick were the standout team this year, but look where Waterford have come from in one year?? if you were told last year after finishing bottom of the round robin group that you would be in the final the following year you would be very skeptical. Waterford is early into its evolution. Next year they will make further strides.

Wouldnt be too downbeat if i was a Waterford fan. Huge progress made. Limerick were the standout team this year, but look where Waterford have come from in one year?? if you were told last year after finishing bottom of the round robin group that you would be in the final the following year you would be very skeptical. Waterford is early into its evolution. Next year they will make further strides.

True..we have come on in leaps and bounds.

Think every county faced with same issue of catching this limerick team now.

Cahill. Beavans have done unreal work in year 1.

Interesting to see where next year brings us.

Will Moran retire...or any of the fives brothers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Any word on Tadghs injury lads?

Obviously too early to be certain but Liam Cahill said after the match that his instinct was that it's not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

All said and done we came a lot further this year than anyone expected - Limericak are far more physical however the likes of Montgomery, Daly, Lyons x 2 , Hutchinson . Fagan and Prendergast will all come on form today - another referee might have punished Limericks physicality more and Fagan might have hit the net with the early goal all things that change a game - today Limerick were the better side but next year is another year and we always look forward because you cannot change the past -
    You can only learn from it - thanks to Liam Cahill and his team and all the panel for an unexpected year

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

blueflame wrote: »
    All said and done we came a lot further this year than anyone expected - Limericak are far more physical however the likes of Montgomery, Daly, Lyons x 2 , Hutchinson . Fagan and Prendergast will all come on form today - another referee might have punished Limericks physicality more and Fagan might have hit the net with the early goal all things that change a game - today Limerick were the better side but next year is another year and we always look forward because you cannot change the past -
    You can only learn from it - thanks to Liam Cahill and his team and all the panel for an unexpected year

A sensible post, though I do think we will need to add to this team next year to compete with Limerick

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah disappointing way to end the year, we never once looked like we’d actually do it. Was a very bitter pill to swallow constantly seeing limerick players winning ball after ball and found their scores almost effortless to come by. We on the other hand struggled, swarmed at every opportunity by 3 or 4 Limerick players and coughed up some easy scores from handling errors didn’t help.

Tadhg going off was a huge blow, if even for just the psychological affect on the rest of the team. Reminded me a bit like Tony Kelly picking up that injury when we played them. Don’t think it would’ve changed the outcome in any way regardless, Limerick were just too good for us on the day and fair play to them.

Will be interesting to see what things Cahill changes for next year (and other teams for that matter) to try compete with Limerick. Will it be a case of trying harder to replicate them (hammer the hammer approach) or come up with something different.

Anyway, fair play to the lads. It has been a good year and nobody expected us to even get this far. Hopefully the experience stands to the likes of Prunty, Lyons, Monty, Prendergast, Fagan.

Think they'll be looking for left half back, Moran isn't getting around like he used to. I think Lyons being shifted over to the left was partly to compensate for that.

Its hard to see who else you'd take out of the team. Like from today you'd say Fives back in pushes us forward a bit more and Conor Gleeson being fully fit might get back in at midfield. There is serious talent in the forwards and I'd say competition will be insane for the positions next year, but Bennet isn't going to be dropped and Austin Gleeson looks to be firing on all cylinders now. Even Mahony will struggle to get back in to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Think they'll be looking for left half back, Moran isn't getting around like he used to. I think Lyons being shifted over to the left was partly to compensate for that.

Its hard to see who else you'd take out of the team. Like from today you'd say Fives back in pushes us forward a bit more and Conor Gleeson being fully fit might get back in at midfield. There is serious talent in the forwards and I'd say competition will be insane for the positions next year, but Bennet isn't going to be dropped and Austin Gleeson looks to be firing on all cylinders now. Even Mahony will struggle to get back in to the team.

People already discussing the possibility of Limerick doing a 3/4 or even five in a row like the dubs......media will add to it by ‘blowing further smoke up their holes’ about how unbeatable they are.....just like what was said about Clare in 2013 and Tipp in 2016......it’s amazing to think that last year both cork and Kk beat them.....

Cahill will certainly look for new blood regardless of retirements. Only thing is these new players will be behind in terms of strength and conditioning.

We have to improve our starts to games ... bar the clare game i thought we looked way off the pace for first ten minutes of all games ..not sure why...

Lets hope gaa keep with old format for munster as we are better suited to that.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    People already discussing the possibility of Limerick doing a 3/4 or even five in a row like the dubs......media will add to it by ‘blowing further smoke up their holes’ about how unbeatable they are.....just like what was said about Clare in 2013 and Tipp in 2016......it’s amazing to think that last year both cork and Kk beat them.....

Yeah, they're a fairly good team alright but Galway weren't far off of them in the semi final. Like I know we've played them before but not really, the team now is a completely different one to the one that played them in the league. We're only finding our feet, another league game against them to suss them out a bit more and we should be able to see how to damage them a bit better or where the weaknesses are. We'll be improving as well, as will Galway, Tipp and Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Just hope Cahill & Bevans stick around to build on things or the progress this year could be all for naught. If Sheedy was to call it a day at Tipp, they would would be the obvious choice to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Cahill won’t go near Tipp just yet... Tipp have a bit of head scratching to do next year.. do they stick with the Mahers Callinan Noel McGrath etc who are all there since 2008/2009.. and are now in their 30’s or do they start to blood some of the U21s... don’t think Tipp will be a serious force next year or year after even...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Yeah, they're a fairly good team alright but Galway weren't far off of them in the semi final. Like I know we've played them before but not really, the team now is a completely different one to the one that played them in the league. We're only finding our feet, another league game against them to suss them out a bit more and we should be able to see how to damage them a bit better or where the weaknesses are. We'll be improving as well, as will Galway, Tipp and Kilkenny

KK can forget about An all-Ireland next year or any year until they get a decent half back line and midfield... TJ will also be a year older.. he’ll be 34 I think..

I would think Limerick followed by Waterford and possibly Clare if Duggan Conklin and the Galvins come back in.

Advertisement