Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

KK can forget about An all-Ireland next year or any year until they get a decent half back line and midfield... TJ will also be a year older.. he’ll be 34 I think..

I would think Limerick followed by Waterford and possibly Clare if Duggan Conklin and the Galvins come back in.

I always fancy Clare but its like they dont trust their each other some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Hard luck Waterford from Limerick. Met a few of ye down at the League semifinals a couple of years ago now in Nowlan Park. Sound out and great craic. Ye've a serious team on the build there. Would be great to see ye get over the line in the next few years. If ye make it there and its not against us ill be absolutely shouting ye on!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Derek for a 2022 return, Cahill will get the tipp job when Sheedy goes and we have to realize that

Last thing anyone needs.

Cahill won’t go near Tipp just yet... Tipp have a bit of head scratching to do next year.. do they stick with the Mahers Callinan Noel McGrath etc who are all there since 2008/2009.. and are now in their 30’s or do they start to blood some of the U21s... don’t think Tipp will be a serious force next year or year after even...

I wouldnt say that now. I see no reason why we cant be contenders next year. Obviously we'll have to change things up, but we have back to back u20/21 winning teams. We can go into 2021 with the right mixture of youth and experience just as we did all those years ago when we had the likes of Paudie, Seamie and Brendan complimenting Cummins, John O'Brien, Eoin, Lar, Paul Curran

I think Cahill will probably take over Tipp around 2023 all going well. I hope he lands the big one with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

Only posting now, as I am gutted. Another final slips by. I thought for us to win today everything and I mean everything had to go right for us. Limerick were awesome their level of fitness and conditioning is a couple of years ahead of us. Only crib I have from today is the lack of cards not shown to limerick early on, it would have meant they could not be aggressive as they were. Trip by Hannon, Morrissey foul on Austin, Hegarty's frontal charge, 3 stonewall cards. Austin had a fine game, hopefully this sees him getting back to being the best hurler in the country. Limerick had their homework done, they double teamed Stephen and fouled him anytime he was on the ball. We made progress this year.
    We must remember when you look at both squads Limerick have gotten more from their Minor & U21 teams of 2013 - 2017 than we have. The amount of money invested in Limerick is huge and money counts, same way it has for Dublin. It allows more resources to be put into the game that we can only dream of here and in many other counties. Finally to the players, management team and backroom team well done on the year. The effort and time put in is truly amazing. Heads up with go again next year, we can still dream!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

cnocsion wrote: »
    Another final defeat ...hard to take but i suppose we ve made huge strides this year with cahill.

No shame in losing to that Limerick team....just disappointed we cant seem to produce our best stuff in finals

Couldnt seem to win any ball in the air..agree with other posters...limerick play on edge regarding fouling..they seem to have perfected it.

Imteresting to see new faces next year ....will shane bennett come back...we could do with his pace and finishing.

Strength and conditioning will be key again on closing the gap with limerick.

All in all...who could have predicted us getting to the final back in january...but we need to win one soon.

Think you summed up yere year well there....ye will come again....as a Leitrim man I was cheering ye on as the underdogs but Limerick just took control of the game from the off and ye needed at least one goal to get near them....hope de Burcas injury is not too serious....he looked in a lot of pain.

Onwards and upwards for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Obviously too early to be certain but Liam Cahill said after the match that his instinct was that it's not looking good.

That’s a sucker punch if another cruciate. What he would have endured to get back to the level he’s at this year I can’t even imagine.

A pity there dosent seem to be too much concern for that players on here when there’s no more matches to play. Maybe people are just too busy blaming the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That’s a sucker punch if another cruciate. What he would have endured to get back to the level he’s at this year I can’t even imagine.

A pity there dosent seem to be too much concern for that players on here when there’s no more matches to play. Maybe people are just too busy blaming the ref

We have no nobody to replace him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Very disappointed with the result.

In truth i felt Limerick were being under rated by some people and i was not as confident as some fans going into this but i did not see such a performance from Limerick coming.

They were superb today. They bossed us all over the pitch i thought. Physically they were just on another level. Constantly in our faces and they won almost every 50/50 it felt like.

Can't fault Waterford for effort but i thought they were awful under the high ball today. They never looked like troubling Limerick at all.

This Waterford team no doubt has potential but its hard enough to reach the final and even harder to win it as we have found out in recent years. I hope Cahill and the team all stick together and believe in one another and give it another shot next year but i cannot see anyone beating this Limerick team unless they slack or have a bad day.

One area we lack in i feel is that we have no big strong lads like the likes of Dan, Ken, Brick walsh even. We have skill and pace but we need some physically strong lads that can take a hit and plough through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads a Limerick man here just want to commiserate with ye on the loss God knows we know how it feels in fairness the majority here recognise we're a little further down the road than yerselves can't believe some of the comments by some on the physicality of our team, are they cynical at times?? yes but for some to say it's just physical pile on the pounds is just crazy. I think Waterford were top notch this yr and are right up there in my thinking of who will win this next yr Cahill is an unreal manager keep him and like ourselves ye'll be there or thereabouts next yr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Are there any 6' 7" lads playing hurling in the county (that are savage hurlers) that have been overlooked by any chance? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

Hope Tadgh's injury is not as serious as it looks, I thought he had injured it couple mins earlier. He went down off camera and I feared the worst.
    I was above in the Fraher Field the night he got injured in 2019, totally innocuous the way he landed and I can tell you he tried to make it back onto the field after half time. Big loss, we have been cursed by injuries to key men this year

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

In the cold light of day having spent a night twisting and turning and reflecting on what might have been - first thoughts go to TDB - what a loss yesterday he is a natural born leader who has dragged us back into many games with his leadership - not a word in the news but i fear that he did his cruciate and if he did I fear for him, third serious injury in three years - I really wish him all the best because he deserves any luck coming his way.

Looking back on the game, there is no doubt about it, Limerick were the better side, and deservedly won, no dispute there and they are going to take serious stopping over the next three to four years, however there are also a number of factors that do need to be looked at.

1. We chased a lot of goals particularly in the later stages of the game, when handy points were on offer, no problem with me there because we at least decided to try and chase the game rather than respectability but had we taken point on offer the loosing margin would probably have been more like 6 points in the end rather than 11.

2. Had Fagan's first chance after two minutes hit the net it could have changed the face of the game, not alone that but had Hannon been booked for his challenge in taking out Hutchinson (which to my mind he should definitely have been) it might has also changed the tone somewhat being on a yellow so early.

3. Had Gleeson gotten a free for the jab in his groin, we had a tap over free instead the ball is moved done the field and Limerick score a point, 8 - 4 instead of 7 - 5. The stroke itself was dangerous and should have been a yellow for Morrissey and could have been a red. I had a guy try to justify this to me this morning, saying Morrissey was attempting to play the ball, personally I do not agree because it was a jabbing action with he tip of the hurley which has no place in hurling, even if you do connect with the sliotar what are you trying to achieve jabbing it with the tip of the hurley, how Horgan missed that only he will know.

These three issues plus the unfortunate departure of DeBurca could have made the game a lot closer in the end, even if they would not have changed the fact that Limerick were worthy winners. I know posters are going to come on here saying the the "free count " was even in the end, but as is typical with Horgan's performances he tends to even the free count with a number of soft frees outside the scoring zone, statistics can easily be skewed to make them fit.

End of the day, I hope that we will learn and continue to improve, and hoe the TDB injury is not as serious as we suspect and that he will grace the fields next year again - best of luck Tadgh and thanks for the year ye gave us lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

I think more Summer hurling will suit ye better and guys like Dessie Hutchinson will be flying with the sliotar hoping off the sod. The ground conditions were poor enough and although it wasn't quite Winter hurling it was closer to that than Summer hurling. A definite reason to be hopeful for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Are there any 6' 7" lads playing hurling in the county (that are savage hurlers) that have been overlooked by any chance? ;)
    I think we need to be careful with this idea that we need these big 6’5 lads across the team. We need hurlers. The Limerick lads might be big but lads like Gillane, Morrissey and Hegarty are more natural hurlers than probably 4 of our forwards. We shouldn’t lose sight of this and blame it all on a lack of big ‘rugby’ type players.
    But to answer your question, I can’t really think of any, apart from Shan of course. But that boat has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Waternut wrote: »
    I think we need to be careful with this idea that we need these big 6’5 lads across the team. We need hurlers. The Limerick lads might be big but lads like Gillane, Morrissey and Hegarty are more natural hurlers than probably 4 of our forwards. We shouldn’t lose sight of this and blame it all on a lack of big ‘rugby’ type players.
    But to answer your question, I can’t really think of any, apart from Shan of course. But that boat has sailed.

Cork tried it in 2010 with Cussen and O Halpin. Neither were inter county standard hurlers and it didn’t work at all. There was an element of surprise against Tipperary the first day but after that, teams found a way of beating them. Noel Connors was man of the match against Cork in the drawn Munster final and he ended up marking both of those monsters at different stages of the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I don't really feel as dejected as I did the last time, maybe because even if we did win it we wouldn't have been able to bring it home for like months later and would win in an empty stadium. That being said a win is a win and would been nice but Limerick were just far superior. Let's see how things play out with O'Mahony and Shane Bennett back next season.

I don't really feel as dejected as I did the last time, maybe because even if we did win it we wouldn't have been able to bring it home for like months later and would win in an empty stadium. That being said a win is a win and would been nice but Limerick were just far superior. Let's see how things play out with O'Mahony and Shane Bennett back next season.
    Will either be back? Mahoneys injury is a 9 month injury, so he will probably struggle for championship. I’m not sure the Shane Bennett one is as clear cut as work either.
    Hopefully Tadgh’s injury isn’t what we all fear. He has been an alsolute monster player for us this year. Best of luck Tadgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

The team battled well yesterday but the gulf in class was there to see. Limerick, for all the cynical crap they pulled and were left away with yesterday, were miles better than us. If they decided to try and add a few goals yesterday they could have and then we’d have been looking at a scoreline similar to 2008.

The reality is even when our best lads are back, including Shane Bennett we’d struggle to lay a glove on Limerick. It’s all well and good having lovely skillful and quick hurlers but when they’re being pulled and dragged and crowded out by 3/4 players 2/3/4 stone heavier than them it’s very difficult to do anything about it. The other reality is even if Waterford or any other county decide to use the Limerick template, it would take years to get to their level and even at the it may not be enough. That Limerick team are at a level I don’t think I’ve ever seen before and I include that great Kilkenny team of the late 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

If Limerick added goals no one would stop them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

thesultan wrote: »
    If Limerick added goals no one would stop them..

Yeah but they don't because they'd have to play a completely different game. Playing Limerick now is the same as trying to fight someone in boxing who is going for points victory and cant land a knockout blow. Every time you get inside or close they'll just clinch, ref breaks it up and they just keep the jab going. You land a couple of shots to their jaw and they'll be stumbling around which is what we tried with going for goals.

If we get slightly better in front of goal there will be no stopping us. 2 or 3 times yesterday even with being dragged down every time we had the sliotar we were very unlucky not to get goals. Its exactly how Tipp looked their first year under Sheedy, some very promising signs but just needed a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Maurice Shanahan missed yesterday , class hurler and we don't have that many proven ball winners that we could Leave a player of his calibre out ,for whatever reason ,

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Maurice Shanahan missed yesterday , class hurler and we don't have that many proven ball winners that we could Leave a player of his calibre out ,for whatever reason ,

ah stop now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I would have said Tom Devine, a different life maybe.

Maurice is a class hurler beyond doubt, but does he have the adaptability and attitude to fit into Cahill's style of play,especially at this stage of his career. Unfortunately i would have serious doubts, and moving forward it has to be about players who are willing to adapt and apply themselves for the betterment of the team.

Would still like to see Seamus Keating get a run, he impressed me anytime he got a chance and is a big strong competitor. What is the story with Colm Roche, think he was injured this year, but another who impressed when given the chance and another strong hurler. Would love to see what Cahill and Bevans could get out of the likes of Shane Bennett and Tom Devine. Also someone mentioned DJ Foran, I know he might be a bit of a lost cause, but Cahill does seem to have a way of getting lads to believe in themselves, (look at what he has done for McNulty) and Foran is a big man with a good hand and can be a very direct runner. Would also like to see the likes of Paddy Leavy join the pane. and have a look at some of our under 20s tomorrow night.

I know have made a lot of suggestions above, and i know not all of those mentioned would make it, but would just like to make sure that no stone is left unturned. Don't believe that major changes are needed, just continued development and a continued freshening of faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I would have said Tom Devine, a different life maybe.

Agree..was thinking that but dont think he will come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

The pain is beginning to ease, ever so slightly.

Yesterday was difficult to stomach but as pointed out, we have come a long way in a short space of time and any year you beat Kilkenny in Croke Park is a good year. I think the management will learn an awful lot from the defeat and no doubt, there will be a number of changes to the panel in 2021.

Limerick raised their intensity to a new level, especially compared to the Munster Final. Waterford might well have scored 2 or 3 goals even though Limerick did everything (legal & illegal) to prevent that, an approach which has worked for other teams in the past. Cahill said he was pleased enough with the refereeing, which I find hard to credit. At the same time, he also made the case for a sin bin/black card rule to be introduced, obviously referencing incidents early in the match. Limerick knew early on that they were dealing with a clueless referee so simply continued to foul at liberty.

I think we need to stop looking into the past and trust Cahill. He has taken Waterford to a place we couldn’t imagine this time last year.

I don’t think Maurice was or is the answer and that’s no disrespect to the great man.

I think we missed an aggressive hurler like Shane Bennett out around the middle. His pace and aggression is suited to the modern game.

We missed Darragh Fives. For me, he is just one of our better hurling defenders and a fit Darragh would have been an ideal match up on Hegarty or Morrissey. It must be so frustrating for him, but I really hope he gives it another year / try. He is such a talented player but the constant injury must be head wrecking.

How old is Darragh - 29?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Motivator wrote: »
    That Limerick team are at a level I don’t think I’ve ever seen before and I include that great Kilkenny team of the late 2000s.

I can’t see anyone beating Limerick for a long time.

To see 22 years olds conditioned like that is frightening.

Advertisement