Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

blueflame wrote: »
    How old is Darragh - 29?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,280 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think its better for us if the club season comes first in 2021. Gives players time to refocus with there clubs

Not feeling very confident about the under 20s tomorrow. Id be happy if we're competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I can’t see anyone beating Limerick for a long time.

To see 22 years olds conditioned like that is frightening.

Another thing to factor in is that I think we can all agree this current Waterford team is probably the fittest and best conditioned we’ve seen, probably ever. Look how they match up compared to the Limerick team. Some of these Waterford lads are massive and looked small compared to the likes of Hegarty, the two Morrisseys and William O’Donoghue. How much bigger can waterford lads get? Same with the likes of TJ Reid who is an absolute monster of a man. He wouldn’t have coped any better yesterday.

Also, the type of conditioning that is required doesn’t happen in a short space of time. It takes years to get to that level. I remember seeing Limerick warm up in Walsh Park last summer and they were big then. They’ve taken it up a notch this year again. Their athleticism is incredible and other teams upping the strength and conditioning isn’t the simple answer. Waterford in particular have upped it already, there’s only so much more young lads can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Just wondering what kind of jobs the limerick lads have? Guards? Teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

The same was said about Galway Tipp and Clare when they won All Irelands. See how that worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

In 2010 they were predicting 5 in a row for Tipp! As for the size and conditioning of Limerick, yes theyre massive men but other teams will adapt and find workarounds. Whoever does will win an all Ireland.
    Limerick are superb and it's great to see a county starved of success for so long sit at the top of the tree but theyre there to be taken down now and I don't see them dominating the way some are predicting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchizoSound

Have you ever been to schools rugby games? If strength and conditioning training is started at a young age you end up with big strong men at a young age. Limerick weren't scoring tries yesterday they hit the bulk of 30 points from play, some sublime scores. Christy Ring was 5ft6 and used rise into the heavens to pluck balls out of the sky and throw it over the bar. Hurling will always be about hurling the size of the men holding the hurl is an aside to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

carter10 wrote: »
    In 2010 they were predicting 5 in a row for Tipp! As for the size and conditioning of Limerick, yes theyre massive men but other teams will adapt and find workarounds. Whoever does will win an all Ireland.
    Limerick are superb Will and it's great to see a county starved of success for so long sit at the top of the tree but theyre there to be taken down now and I don't see them dominating the way some are predicting.

You could even go back to 1997/1998.....Ger Loughnane and co ( I remember all the stories about how strong fit etc that Clare team were with animals of men like baker/Daly etc etc blowing teams out of their way) were going to keep on winning until 2000......kk and to a lesser extent cork and Tipp dominated until 2013 and as you say then Clare were to win 3/4 follows by Tipp in 16.......next year will tell a lot about the LK potential to be a Dublin if hurling.....what ever about the physical fitness.....long periods of dominance requires serious mental prep and as is so often mentioned hungry/desire/will to win.....it’s possible that this LK will win another 3/4/5 titles but history says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Think Limerick's half back line is always going to be somewhat dominant given its size in the air but is there to be run at, its why they foul left right and centre to stop anyone getting at it. Thought we were going to be fine when Bennet put over the free from our own half back line. Up stepped Horgan who decided he was going to "let the game flow" when Limerick fouled so the team were caught between a rock and a hard place. The short puckouts weren't working so what do you do? A different ref and suddenly the players find they're getting frees that Bennet is knocking over for fun.

131142657_3563783237039028_9060329304949702647_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8SBsciHchdAAX-aKGty&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=491ee6f24945f12afa81a12058092410&oe=5FFB696C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

U20 team announced for Tipperary game. Don’t know much about these lads, is this the group that would have missed out on playing minor due to the reshuffle from u18 to u17s?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

U20 team announced for Tipperary game. Don’t know much about these lads, is this the group that would have missed out on playing minor due to the reshuffle from u18 to u17s?

I think they missed out in minor alright but it’s a young team. A lot of those lads are underage again next year.

Hopefully they put in a good performance

Might see some of them players in the senior squad next year

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Got to an u17 munster final against cork 3 years ago. Only about half the team still there
    https://i2.wp.com/www.rebelogcoaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/program-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

Commiserations on the loss yesterday. We waited so long for a win in Limerick, it’s great to get 2 in 3 years, but I remember desperately hoping for one and I hope ye get one soon. All the best for De Burca also, a really great player with such bad luck.

Limerick are a better team than Waterford at the moment, but Waterford are not far away and I was very impressed with them this year. Their strength and conditioning and overall fitness was much higher this year and it contributed hugely. Gleeson’s work rate has improved and with Mahony to come back ye are already stronger next year. Three things I would mention:

1. Waterford were naive in letting Morrissey and Hegarty drop deep. The half backs should have went with them. If you stop those two from getting on a lot of ball it impacts Limerick’s game plan hugely.
    2. Waterford’s puck outs were poor. The strategy isn’t clear and in this day you need to accept that most teams won’t win long ball down on top of someone again and again. It worked against Kilkenny but to win an All Ireland they need to improve.
    3. Giving Limerick an extra player in their half of the field will kill you. You need to be brave facing Limerick and push up on them. Back the full back line to win their battles. Having an extra player in defence won’t help if Limerick can ping in super balls. Stopping good deliveries is the key.

If Waterford get Mahony back, De Burca is free to return, strength and conditioning improves further and they build a stronger puck out strategy you have a great chance next year. Limerick are favourites but Waterford, Clare and Galway will all be dangerous and my biggest worries.

Have a nice Christmas and best of luck for next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Is tomorrows under 20 game live on proper TG4 or just their youtube channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Have you ever been to schools rugby games? If strength and conditioning training is started at a young age you end up with big strong men at a young age. Limerick weren't scoring tries yesterday they hit the bulk of 30 points from play, some sublime scores. Christy Ring was 5ft6 and used rise into the heavens to pluck balls out of the sky and throw it over the bar. Hurling will always be about hurling the size of the men holding the hurl is an aside to that.

I’ve been to see lots of different games of different codes. I’ve yet to see any amateur GAA team field 15 players built like Limericks.

A 5’6 hurler has absolutely no business whatsoever on the hurling pitch anymore, stories about him plucking balls out of the air is absolute fantasy.

A good big man will beat an excellent small man all day nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I’ve been to see lots of different games of different codes. I’ve yet to see any amateur GAA team field 15 players built like Limericks.

A 5’6 hurler has absolutely no business whatsoever on the hurling pitch anymore, stories about him plucking balls out of the air is absolute fantasy.

What a load of nonsense. Limerick have very skillful hurlers. That's why they are all Ireland champions.

What a load of nonsense. Limerick have very skillful hurlers. That's why they are all Ireland champions.

I never said they didn’t have skilful hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Commiserations on the loss yesterday. We waited so long for a win in Limerick, it’s great to get 2 in 3 years, but I remember desperately hoping for one and I hope ye get one soon. All the best for De Burca also, a really great player with such bad luck.

Limerick are a better team than Waterford at the moment, but Waterford are not far away and I was very impressed with them this year. Their strength and conditioning and overall fitness was much higher this year and it contributed hugely. Gleeson’s work rate has improved and with Mahony to come back ye are already stronger next year. Three things I would mention:

1. Waterford were naive in letting Morrissey and Hegarty drop deep. The half backs should have went with them. If you stop those two from getting on a lot of ball it impacts Limerick’s game plan hugely.
    2. Waterford’s puck outs were poor. The strategy isn’t clear and in this day you need to accept that most teams won’t win long ball down on top of someone again and again. It worked against Kilkenny but to win an All Ireland they need to improve.
    3. Giving Limerick an extra player in their half of the field will kill you. You need to be brave facing Limerick and push up on them. Back the full back line to win their battles. Having an extra player in defence won’t help if Limerick can ping in super balls. Stopping good deliveries is the key.

If Waterford get Mahony back, De Burca is free to return, strength and conditioning improves further and they build a stronger puck out strategy you have a great chance next year. Limerick are favourites but Waterford, Clare and Galway will all be dangerous and my biggest worries.

Have a nice Christmas and best of luck for next year. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Look we can talk until the cows come home about what Waterford could have and should have done differently, and what players that weren’t there that could have made an impact. Bottom line was it was Limericks day and Limericks year. No one was going to stop ye this year.

Personally I don’t agree with people saying Limerick will dominate for years to come. I think it’s up to other counties to crack the code and the game evolves so fast these days I think yell have plenty competition for it next year again.

Anyway congrats again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

The game moves in cycles - what develops out of one cycle will always be surprising.

Brian Lohan wasn't small...

but Joe Deane and Seanie McGrath were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAjY2C7H1Nk&ab_channel=officialgaa

You might be surprised at the way hurling will turn in the future...

Galway are just as big as Limerick - Did you see what Geroid did to Gillane?

A 5’6 hurler has absolutely no business whatsoever on the hurling pitch anymore

Noel Connors, Tommy Walsh, Colm Galvin, Joe Deane to name but 4 and none of them above 5'8. All superb hurlers.

Big (6’4’’ plus) muscle bound men are generally not that quick.....the ‘0-60 would be poor’, some innovative tactics, less ‘rocket launcher puck-outs’, more man to man marking and more quick skillful 5’10 to 6’0’’ half forwards with good writs might be what is required :)

Noel Connors, Tommy Walsh, Colm Galvin, Joe Deane to name but 4 and none of them above 5'8. All superb hurlers.

Not sure about Deane but the rest were well above 5”8.

Superb hurlers but a completely different era of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Bring back ground hurling and see how them lanky lads get on then :D

Bring back ground hurling and see how them lanky lads get on then :D

Michael Duignan would be ecstatic if ground hurling returned.....Cyril Farrell loves the wristy types and Marty the short grip and ‘good hands’...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Is tomorrows under 20 game live on proper TG4 or just their youtube channel?
    just on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Colm Galvin is a hurler from a different era??

They are all 5'8 and Deane was 5'7.
    Other players like Dessie Hutchinson and Eoin Kelly (Tipp) only 5'10.

As said above the best way to beat a bigger team is to move the ball fast and run at them.

Hurling is constantly evolving but their will always be room for skillful players, no matter what size they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

They are all 5'8 and Deane was 5'7.
    Other players like Dessie Hutchinson and Eoin Kelly (Tipp) only 5'10.

As said above the best way to beat a bigger team is to move the ball fast and run at them.

Hurling is constantly evolving but their will always be room for skillful players, no matter what size they are.

Run at them?
    Hard to do that when the hurley is being held by one fella while it give time for the other lad to block your path.
    Look what happened dessie hutchinson in the first few mins when he ran at them, or jamie barron running out with the ball in the first minute.

Advertisement