Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Stephen Bennett the obvs free replacement but Cahill might have other plans

7/10 views from Waterford supporters is Maurice should be in the panel but Cahill has his plan and he doesn't feature ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Good luck to Paudie on his retirement, he gave great service. What happened to him against Ballyduff was sheer thuggery.

But to rate Paudie as a big loss is crazy, especially from general play. At his best he always lacked the pace and the cut and thrust of a really top class forward. Great from frees when there was no pressure but questionable from crucial scoreable frees. The one he missed from forty yards against Kilkenny in Thurles was just awful, not an aberration. He followed it up the following year by missing a similar one and five more for Ballygunner in a Munster final. Also, couldn't step up and take a 21 or a penalty like Kelly or Flynn.

I'd love to see his scores per game from play over his years with Waterford compared to the really great Waterford forwards.

He is not a Liam Cahill type of player. He has never worked hard enough in the way Cahill wants his forwards to work. Swanning around hanging loose, swooping around his midfielders or other half forwards looking for hand passes to pop over handy points is not the Cahill way.

Personally, I think he went before he was pushed.

Thanks again for the service Paudie but now there's great chance for a forward to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I dunno, being honest in the last few years I never saw him as a 9/10 free taker. Thinking back to the all Ireland final and one straight in front of the posts he missed when we badly needed it to stay in the game.

Great servant though and was particularly hard done by the year he was injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Good luck to Paudie on his retirement, he gave great service. What happened to him against Ballyduff was sheer thuggery.

But to rate Paudie as a big loss is crazy, especially from general play. At his best he always lacked the pace and the cut and thrust of a really top class forward. Great from frees when there was no pressure but questionable from crucial scoreable frees. The one he missed from forty yards against Kilkenny in Thurles was just awful, not an aberration. He followed it up the following year by missing a similar one and five more for Ballygunner in a Munster final. Also, couldn't step up and take a 21 or a penalty like Kelly or Flynn.

I'd love to see his scores per game from play over his years with Waterford compared to the really great Waterford forwards.

He is not a Liam Cahill type of player. He has never worked hard enough in the way Cahill wants his forwards to work. Swanning around hanging loose, swooping around his midfielders or other half forwards looking for hand passes to pop over handy points is not the Cahill way.

Thanks again for the service Paudie but now there's great chance for a real brave forward to step up.

Well, at least you don't have an axe to grind anyway...

Must have stole your bird at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Waterford played Wexford late last week
    Lineout was as follows

SOK
    Shane Fives
    Conor Prunty
    Shane McNulty
    Darragh Fives
    Tadhg De Burca
    Kevin Moran
    Callum Lyons
    Jamie Barron
    Jack Fagan
    Austin Gleeson
    Kieran Bennett
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Stephen Bennett
    Pauric Mahony

Wexford won this game. Pauric Mahony forced off with an injury ( not thought to be serious )

No word on the Wexford team by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Alf Tupper wrote: »

Thanks again for the service Paudie but now there's great chance for a real brave forward to step up.

anyway i think Aussie will start at 11 and be used as a roaming 11. Bennett all day on the frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Very disappointing for our young minor hurlers & footballers who probably started trials and training almost 12 months ago to have their championship called off at such short notice. Also have to feel for management who have tried to keep the show on the road during all this time. Hopefully it is only a postponement & they will get a chance to represent the county once we are out of Level 5 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭deisedude

Very disappointing for our young minor hurlers & footballers who probably started trials and training almost 12 months ago to have their championship called off at such short notice. Also have to feel for management who have tried to keep the show on the road during all this time. Hopefully it is only a postponement & they will get a chance to represent the county once we are out of Level 5 restrictions.

Not just minors. U20 Championship gone now too

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/reports-senior-inter-county-can-proceed-level-5-not-underage-1093958?fbclid=IwAR3XI3p5K0u9NAmo81q_l8jdDfNW0x7ozV5wPjDVoJLxst5vqY64r-23nIE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Curran may not start, Stephen Bennett may be more likely?

If only there was another experienced forward in the county to lead from the front with the frees etc.. (cough cough Maurice)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If only there was another experienced forward in the county to lead from the front with the frees etc.. (cough cough Maurice)

It's a hell of a long time since Maurice did anything on the intercounty scene to justify his place, amazing they way lads in every sport seem to get better and better the longer they don't play!

Bennett will 100% take the frees and he is a far better free taker that Maurice or the O'Mahony of the last few seasons.

• Advertisement

It's a hell of a long time since Maurice did anything on the intercounty scene to justify his place, amazing they way lads in every sport seem to get better and better the longer they don't play!

Bennett will 100% take the frees and he is a far better free taker that Maurice or the O'Mahony of the last few seasons.

Pogue eile wrote: »

A couple of things here 1) name one Waterford forward that did play well the last 2 years 2) you cannot ignore Maurice’s club form, aside from Dessi Hutchison he was the best in the club championship this year. It’s not like we’re talking about yesterday’s man he’s clearly on top of his game this year. Just saying now would be an I deal time for Cahill to swallow whatever it was that he couldn’t get past and bring Maurice in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

A couple of things here 1) name one Waterford forward that did play well the last 2 years 2) you cannot ignore Maurice’s club form, aside from Dessi Hutchison he was the best in the club championship this year. It’s not like we’re talking about yesterday’s man he’s clearly on top of his game this year. Just saying now would be an I deal time for Cahill to swallow whatever it was that he couldn’t get past and bring Maurice in

Maurice's ability has nothing to do with him not being on the panel. It's all his temperament. How many times has he been sent off?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Maurice has all the ability and talent and should have been one of our best ever but for whatever reason he simply doesn't have the discipline at intercounty level and became a laibilty the last few times he played . It's hard for a new manager to look beyond that although everyone deserves a second chance too.

One forward who played well or who played better than Shanahan, because the latter is a long list!

Yes he is yesterdays man from an intercounty perspective, 2015 was the last time you could say he excelled. He has always shone for his club to be fair to him, different kettle of fish altogether. He is not needed for frees and I'm not sure what else he brings to the table at 30 years of age. Cahill has a long term plan, this will not be a quick fix job and he obviously doesn't see the long term benefit in Shanahan.

You are suggesting that the decision wasn't hurling based which unless you have evidence to back it up is quite an accusation to be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭deisedude

A quick refresher lesson on why Maurice Shanahan isn't on the panel despite his undeniable ability

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/gaa/maurice-shanahan-definitely-broke-record-shortest-stint-ever-field-154309

Pogue eile wrote: »
    One forward who played well or who played better than Shanahan, because the latter is a long list!

Yes he is yesterdays man from an intercounty perspective, 2015 was the last time you could say he excelled. He has always shone for his club to be fair to him, different kettle of fish altogether. He is not needed for frees and I'm not sure what else he brings to the table at 30 years of age. Cahill has a long term plan, this will not be a quick fix job and he obviously doesn't see the long term benefit in Shanahan.

You are suggesting that the decision wasn't hurling based which unless you have evidence to back it up is quite an accusation to be making.

A provisional panel of 50 was drawn up shortly after Maurice got the call from Cahill to say he wasn’t wanted. are you telling me after his scoring exploits for Lismore this year that Maurice is not in the top 50 hurlers only the county? It’s abundantly clear the decision wasn’t hurling based.

And if we’re talking about lack of discipline and players being sent off regularly then Aussie Gleeson shouldn’t be next or near an intercounty panel.

I’m not saying Cahill is not within his right to pick whoever he wants but based on Maurice club form (Cahill said he would monitor) and the fact that Paudie now injured, surely you’d look to a hungry Maurice with a point to prove, which us when he’s at his best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Maurice legs are gone at intercounty..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I don't think Stephen Bennett is a particularly reliable freetaker. Certainly not in Mahony's league. Jack Fagan is an alternative. Look out also for Dessie Hutchinson, who filled in very effectively whenever Mahony was off the field during the club championship. I only realised he was left-handed when he stepped up to his first free. Good sign of a two-sided player.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I don't think Stephen Bennett is a particularly reliable freetaker. Certainly not in Mahony's league. Jack Fagan is an alternative. Look out also for Dessie Hutchinson, who filled in very effectively whenever Mahony was off the field during the club championship. I only realised he was left-handed when he stepped up to his first free. Good sign of a two-sided player.

Bennett is far from reliable free taker, he’s got a very unorthodox style for me. If you wanted consistency from frees in Mahony a absence I’d be looking at fitting Curran into the forward line somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Antrim given a walkover by waterford football team for final league game at the weeknd

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Giveitfong wrote: »

I'd agree on Bennett. His free taking seems to fluctuate anywhere from 10/10 to 4/10. You can stick him on them though and at least know he won't bottle it. The eye might just be off on that day. I'd say mainly due to his technique not being the best and as easily repeatable as the great free takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Bennett is far from reliable free taker, he’s got a very unorthodox style for me. If you wanted consistency from frees in Mahony a absence I’d be looking at fitting Curran into the forward line somewhere

He's not been that reliable either on frees since his underage days and not done much from play at all in my opinion. There's the odd bit of flash now and then but overall not worth a starting place in my opinion. It's a shame that he didn't push on but not everyone's curve continues to rise. Wouldn't rule him out completely yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Great credit is due to the Waterford footballers for taking the right decision and not traveling to Antrim. The two reasons given are a lesson to our county board and Croke Park. 1. Family heath and 2. Work related concerns where they would have had to isolate for 10 days once they return.
    It’s a pity the county board are not as proactive with regards to Covid. All they have done is just forward emails from Croke Park out to clubs. And more importantly they missed the opportunity to send out a strong message with the Dungarvan incident. 3 to 4 weeks later and all we’ve had is two statements. One from the CCC to say they recommended the county board to look into it and one a day later from the CB to say they would look into it with no further comment. Bureaucracy gone mad. When DLS erected a canopy in Fraher field emblazoned with Opel the CB came out with a statement immediately to say this could not be done.
    These are tough times and clubs need leadership and direction and to know there are repercussions if Covid rules are not adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Calling Waterford's bluff perhaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Calling Waterford's bluff perhaps..

Decent thing to do but the GAA should have made the decision for them and for all the games involving long trips. This is going to turn into a PR disaster for the GAA when an intercounty player brings Covid to home/workplave and their decision to proceed with meaningless football league games really doesn't help.

Decent thing to do but the GAA should have made the decision for them and for all the games involving long trips. This is going to turn into a PR disaster for the GAA when an intercounty player brings Covid to home/workplave and their decision to proceed with meaningless football league games really doesn't help.

Methinks if the GAA started approaching northern counties to encourage them to concede home advantage to a southern venue the response might be slightly different. But great credit to Antrim nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1319532000458530816?s=19

At least its sorted now, its so sad looking at social media and some people ordering the GAA too cancel the rest of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1319532000458530816?s=19

At least its sorted now, its so sad looking at social media and some people ordering the GAA too cancel the rest of the season

I think there are legitimate concerns with having it go ahead. It can't be considered an elite sport and amateur at the same time considering the difference in lifestyles of the players outside of their team bubbles with players in actual elite sports. Fair amount of GAA players also work in essential jobs like teaching and stuff too.

Advertisement