Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Punt Road

seriously no need to apologise

Originally Posted by hurler on de ditch
    most if not all managers have this no nonsense, hard work ethic , it's a requirement ,but also a thinking brain when your team is most under pressure , again we got totally carried away by the second half performance of the KK match , in all honesty 3 big beatings of the same team last year , so Cahill really needs to wake up ,he had with the exception of Shane Bennett and possibly P Mahoney a really good squad ,but his lack of balls to make the really big selective decisions was his downfall , as it was with the previous managers

What changes would you like to have seen for those limerick games HOD?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Regarding Cahill's interview, hindsight is 20:20 vision and i believe his comments regarding the training are a reflection of a lesson learned and a marker being set down for the future.

The fact that lads were possibly "minding themselves" in training, with just a week to go is to be expected for these lads who found themselves in an unlikely position of being in an All Ireland Final - they had come off the back of a run of extremely tough games and nobody I am sure wanted to end up injured and missing out on the final.

From Cahill's point of view he would probably have been hoping that they would explode onto Croke Park and making five or six changes would have been simply crazy. But he has now set down a marker for this year, stating that in his view that is not the way to prepare and the panel is now forewarned for the future.

On reflection we quite simply did not get the breaks we needed on the day and we were not powerful or developed enough to handle Limericks superior physicality. On the day we needed a "fussy referee" who would have hindered Limerick's superior physicality , we got Horgan - no more to be said. However we cannot rely in the future on getting the right referee, so i think a lot of time has to be spent developing our physicality and learning to cope with this side of the game, This means not only being stronger but being cuter and faster in our use of the ball and space - I believe Cahill will make big inroads in this regard, but whether or not we are good enough to win a title remains to be seen, - but i for one am certainly looking forward to seeing us try.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Surprised to see no talk of the Strategic Review here. It was presented to club’s last night at an online meeting.
    It’s an impressive document with a lot of ambitious targets. The Commercial Committee which has been established will have a job on their hands raising the amounts we are talking about.
    Walsh Park design has been changed up a little & will now be completed in a phased basis over a number of years. Plans to change the seating in Fraher Field & develop an astro playing area in the show grounds also.

The review stopped short of recommending the abolition of the divisional boards unfortunately but has recommended a task force be put in place to review our current championship structures. Reducing the senior championship to 8 or 10 teams seems to be a plan for the near future & this should ideally coincide with the restructuring of the intermediate & junior championships to all county too. Having a senior, premier intermediate, intermediate, junior. Might even need a senior B championship too similar to Cork structures depending on the numbers in each championship.
    Promising plans for underage structures also.

There is a press briefing tomorrow night I believe where more details might be released.

If they can deliver on it it will be a considerable achievement. But given our current financial situation it’s hard not to be sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Surprised to see no talk of the Strategic Review here. It was presented to club’s last night at an online meeting.
    It’s an impressive document with a lot of ambitious targets. The Commercial Committee which has been established will have a job on their hands raising the amounts we are talking about.
    Walsh Park design has been changed up a little & will now be completed in a phased basis over a number of years. Plans to change the seating in Fraher Field & develop an astro playing area in the show grounds also.

The review stopped short of recommending the abolition of the divisional boards unfortunately but has recommended a task force be put in place to review our current championship structures. Reducing the senior championship to 8 or 10 teams seems to be a plan for the near future & this should ideally coincide with the restructuring of the intermediate & junior championships to all county too. Having a senior, premier intermediate, intermediate, junior. Might even need a senior B championship too similar to Cork structures depending on the numbers in each championship.
    Promising plans for underage structures also.

There is a press briefing tomorrow night I believe where more details might be released.

If they can deliver on it it will be a considerable achievement. But given our current financial situation it’s hard not to be sceptical.

The biggest issue that the people who ran the board into the ground over last 20 years are now expected to somehow turn the boards fortunes around.

Leopards don’t change their spots.

Got a copy of the report today, it’s ambitious but worrying. The board needs a massive overhaul in both paid and unpaid positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,287 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's the changes been made to the Walsh Park redevelopment ?

If covid never happened among other things the place should of been redeveloped already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The biggest issue that the people who ran the board into the ground over last 20 years are now expected to somehow turn the boards fortunes around.

Leopards don’t change their spots.

Got a copy of the report today, it’s ambitious but worrying. The board needs a massive overhaul in both paid and unpaid positions.

I think if there’s enough quality people willing to put themselves forward and invest their time in gaa administration in the county them the status quo can be chucked aside fairly easily, unfortunately that’s not the case so it’s the same old duds sitting there making all the big decisions, or not making the big decisions, as it happens

What's the story with the Walsh Park redevelopment change ?

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/19/walsh-park-works-set-to-start-in-2022/

Looks impressive

It's such a pity they agreed to no concerts and floodlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Why no floodlights? Residents against it?

It's a pity. A Saturday night game there could be good.

I assume there'll be semi decent media facilities? As in tg4 wont have to put a camera onto scaffolding?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

most if not all managers have this no nonsense, hard work ethic , it's a requirement ,but also a thinking brain when your team is most under pressure , again we got totally carried away by the second half performance of the KK match , in all honesty 3 big beatings of the same team last year , so Cahill really needs to wake up ,he had with the exception of Shane Bennett and possibly P Mahoney a really good squad ,but his lack of balls to make the really big selective decisions was his downfall , as it was with the previous managers ,

What exactly does Mahony add to the side from last year. 10-11 points a game - yes, but all but one or two will be from placed balls. Stephen Bennett will get that tally as well from placed balls within his range, and maybe four or five from play and even a goal every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'll get slated for this I know, but as great of a job Liam Cahill as done (and he has done a fantastic one) I don't get the reasoning for the criticism of the players. The way the game went with the physicality and cynical nature of Limerick combined with a dud of a referee I really think they did brilliantly not to leave their heads drop and keep going. I mean look at the treatment Austin got, sur they knew what they were doing as he's always being watched like a hawk for anything he does but in fairness to the man he responded and put in an outstanding performance.

Always good to have a good excuse when a side lose a game. Its never that the side were not good enough on the day, or the other side were the better on the day, its always the referee. I dont understand why there is not a long list of people waiting to become a referee, and a great one at that, with the amount of people that are willing to have a pop at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

blacksuir wrote: »
    What exactly does Mahony add to the side from last year. 10-11 points a game - yes, but all but one or two will be from placed balls. Stephen Bennett will get that tally as well from placed balls within his range, and maybe four or five from play and even a goal every so often.

I'd say after aussie he's comfortably our best scorer from play in the forwards since mullane. Now he's a distance behind those two, but I'm pretty sure he's a clear step above anyone else. Stephen Bennett has been great the last two seasons, dessie excellent this year. But mahony would consistently score about 2 points from play per game for years. If you could get 6 forwards doing that you would win just about any game.

His distribution into the forwards is also top notch. Completely under appreciated by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/19/walsh-park-works-set-to-start-in-2022/

Looks impressive

It's such a pity they agreed to no concerts and floodlights.

Is there any mention about the capacity...?

Is the Michael Walsh mentioned the county/city manager guy........if he is involved could Walsh Park end up like the north key‘s....? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Is there any mention about the capacity...?

Is the Michael Walsh mentioned the county/city manager guy........if he is involved could Walsh Park end up like the north key‘s....? :)

12 - 13,000 capacity.

Yes it is the same Michael Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

blacksuir wrote: »

When Mahoney was missing in 2015 he was no loss either. His direct replacement Maurice Shanahan - much like Stephen Bennett - when given the responsibility, really stepped up and had a brilliant year from frees and play contributing way more that Paudie ever had up to that time or since. It's no coincidence that the two boys are All Stars and Mahoney isn't despite being on the team since 2011.

congrats to TDB, Jamie Barron and Stephen Bennett on the all stars

great to see them back at the top once again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

DiscoStew wrote: »
    12 - 13,000 capacity.

Yes it is the same Michael Walsh.

Does Michael Walsh have any GAA pedigree.....would he know a hurley from a hockey stick..?

Was three all stars a good return...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

PTH2009 wrote: »
    congrats to TDB, Jamie Barron and Stephen Bennett on the all stars

great to see them back at the top once again
    as a neutral would have picked Aussie ahead of Gillane but I think Barron was lucky, would have given his spot to Will O'Donoghue

as a neutral would have picked Aussie ahead of Gillane but I think Barron was lucky, would have given his spot to Will O'Donoghue

Aussie was never going to get one, too much competition in the forward line. I think the bigger issue was picking Tony Kelly at midfield when he actually played the entire season at corner forward. Gillane is the lucky one I think and O’Donoghue unlucky to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Aussie was never going to get one, too much competition in the forward line. I think the bigger issue was picking Tony Kelly at midfield when he actually played the entire season at corner forward. Gillane is the lucky one I think and O’Donoghue unlucky to miss out.
    completely agree on Kelly, O'Donoghue was the best midfielder in the championship in my opinion, Lynch been a media darling helped his cause. I think himself and Barron was a close call but Aussie definitely should have been picked.

• Advertisement

The new Walsh Park proposal looking much better than the previous one with stand/terracing on all 4 sides. The previous plan looked awful with the county board office walls backed up to the end line at Keanes end. A structure built towards family friendly atmosphere is the way forward and a 12-13000 capacity is loads for a county of this size given that there is upgrade works planned for Fraher Field aswell. So credit to everyone involved there.

As for this ‘Waterford rising’ 10 year plan well I’m not exactly jumping around with excitement. It’s pretty much the basic things that the public have been saying needed to happen for the past 15 years anyway jotted down under 6 bullet points, underage centre of excellence, restructuring of championships, upgrade of facilities and new financial incentives. And the people on the committee to execute this 10 year plan? The same buffoons who oversaw the county fall into mass debt 10 years ago and brought us a Jedward concert in Fraher field to try and turn it around.

Sounds like a good plan in theory but uninspiring and unimaginative video, even the name ‘Waterford rising’ taken from our neighbours in Carlow. These guys expecting a big pat on the back for coming up with such innovation but looks like the usual amateur hour stuff to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

The new Walsh Park proposal looking much better than the previous one with stand/terracing on all 4 sides. The previous plan looked awful with the county board office walls backed up to the end line at Keanes end. A structure built towards family friendly atmosphere is the way forward and a 12-13000 capacity is loads for a county of this size given that there is upgrade works planned for Fraher Field aswell. So credit to everyone involved there.

As for this ‘Waterford rising’ 10 year plan well I’m not exactly jumping around with excitement. It’s pretty much the basic things that the public have been saying needed to happen for the past 15 years anyway jotted down under 6 bullet points, underage centre of excellence, restructuring of championships, upgrade of facilities and new financial incentives. And the people on the committee to execute this 10 year plan? The same buffoons who oversaw the county fall into mass debt 10 years ago and brought us a Jedward concert in Fraher field to try and turn it around.

Sounds like a good plan in theory but uninspiring and unimaginative video, even the name ‘Waterford rising’ taken from our neighbours in Carlow. These guys expecting a big pat on the back for coming up with such innovation but looks like the usual amateur hour stuff to me.

Are you involved in a club yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

Agree.....thought Aussie should have squeezed in.....anyway..its all ireland medals we re after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

Aussie deserved an All Star 100% but I guess he has to prove himself more than a mere mortal.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Does Michael Walsh have any GAA pedigree.....would he know a hurley from a hockey stick..?

He played senior hurling for Waterford back in the 1980s. Very skillful but lacking in pace. His brother Mossie is one of Waterford's all-time greats. Another brother, Richie, was a handy hurler too. All from the Ballyduff Upper club.

Michael Walsh wrote a development plan for the county board about ten years ago which was brimful of excellent ideas about competitive structures, organisational structures, finance, etc. Obviously too much for the county board executive who never published the report or presented it to a county board meeting, never mind implement any of its proposals. I was surprised after that experience that he agreed to participate in drawing up the latest plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Was three all stars a good return...?

Msybe read the article?

thesultan wrote: »
    Are you involved in a club yourself?

I do my bit where I can. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I was listening to a podcast that Mike Quirke from Kerry is doing about coaching, he had Derek McGrath on as a guest.
    In passing McGrath mentions he joined De la Salle from I think he said St Saviours after there was a split in the club . I wasn’t aware of this, I thought he was always de la salle.
    But what really caught my attention was he said there was 25 or 26 people left the club. That sounds unreal that you’d have numbers like that leaving a club
    Does anyone here remember that or know more? Presume something like that must have been big news

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

benji79 wrote: »
    I was listening to a podcast that Mike Quirke from Kerry is doing about coaching, he had Derek McGrath on as a guest.
    In passing McGrath mentions he joined De la Salle from I think he said St Saviours after there was a split in the club . I wasn’t aware of this, I thought he was always de la salle.
    But what really caught my attention was he said there was 25 or 26 people left the club. That sounds unreal that you’d have numbers like that leaving a club
    Does anyone here remember that or know more? Presume something like that must have been big news

I vaguely remember it. If I recall correctly De la Salle and St. Saviours met in a match soon after, could be league or championship, and all hell broke loose between the leavers and the remainers, think the guards might even have been called. Maybe someone else remembers better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

And Laois.

Anyone else see our chairman refused to comment in the independent on Saturday re Dublin funding.

Too cute to put anything in writing. Looks like we got a 21st century version of paddy Joe.

Advertisement