Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

In reality, Tipp are probably regarded as best of the rest of in Munster having won the All-Ireland less than 2 years ago

I think Tipperary won a very handy All-Ireland in 2019. Wexford were playing them off the park in the semi-final when, for some mysterious reason, they changed their tactics in the last quarter and started playing long ball into their forwards. This suited Tipp's ball-winning backs down to the ground and gave them the possession they needed in midfield to play in the kind of ball which their full forwards liked. A very modest but typically hard-working Kilkenny team won the other semi-final when Cork (apart from Pat Horgan) failed to turn up.

In the final, apart from having Richie Hogan sent off, Kilkenny repeated Wexford's mistake by abandoning trying to work the ball to TJ Reid and instead pumping in high ball to the full forwards. I think Tipp's spare man may have got an All-Star nomination from winning loose ball and playing it out to Noel McGrath who was able to pick his spot inside. It should really have been Wexford's year, and look at how far back they fell last year.

I also don't rate Podge Collins, and I don't think Clare can afford to have Tony Kelly and Colm Galvin in the same team. People are still talking about their talent based on the Under-21 treble from a decade ago and the freakish 2013 All-Ireland final. They have repeatedly failed to deliver since.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I think Tipperary won a very handy All-Ireland in 2019. Wexford were playing them off the park in the semi-final when, for some mysterious reason, they changed their tactics in the last quarter and started playing long ball into their forwards. This suited Tipp's ball-winning backs down to the ground and gave them the possession they needed in midfield to play in the kind of ball which their full forwards liked. A very modest but typically hard-working Kilkenny team won the other semi-final when Cork (apart from Pat Horgan) failed to turn up.

In the final, apart from having Richie Hogan sent off, Kilkenny repeated Wexford's mistake by abandoning trying to work the ball to TJ Reid and instead pumping in high ball to the full forwards. I think Tipp's spare man may have got an All-Star nomination from winning loose ball and playing it out to Noel McGrath who was able to pick his spot inside. It should really have been Wexford's year, and look at how far back they fell last year.

I also don't rate Podge Collins, and I don't think Clare can afford to have Tony Kelly and Colm Galvin in the same team. People are still talking about their talent based on the Under-21 treble from a decade ago and the freakish 2013 All-Ireland final. They have repeatedly failed to deliver since.

I'd have a very different view of that semi final. There were 4 contentious goal decisions that day. Tipp had a goal (possibly by John McGrath) ruled out in the first half for a foul nobody other than the ref saw. They had another ruled out correctly for a hawk eye call that resulted in a Wexford point. Even after all camera angles were shown in replays it's still very hard to say if Conor McDonald was in the square or not. Finally at the end for some reason no advantage was given to Jake Morris and his goal was pulled back for a free in.

I also remember seeing analysis afterwards where the common analysis that Wexford changed their style was totally incorrect. Tipp simply outworked and outplayed them with 14 men.

It would be foolish to rule out a team that have won as much at senior and under age as Tipp have in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Podge Collins hasn’t been a massive player for Clare since 2013 IMO. Galvin will be a big addition undoubtedly, along with Duggan & Conlan.

Tadhg is going to be a colossal loss to us this year. He was a HOTY candidate going into the All Ireland final.

Agreed on TDB. He was the driving force in us getting to the AI last year. To be honest I think it’s another season of building for Cahill with hopefully another proper push for the All Ireland in 2022

I made an error in my last post on the 2019 All-Ireland championship. Kilkenny beat Cork in the quarter-final, not the semi-final, in which they beat Limerick. Kilkenny were a little fortunate to win the latter game. Having recovered from Kilkenny's whirlwind start, Limerick dominated the second half territorially but were let down by poor shooting (I think they shot 15 wides in total). Even then, they were denied a possible last-gasp draw when a ball which was deflected over the end line by a Kilkenny defender was signalled wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I made an error in my last post on the 2019 All-Ireland championship. Kilkenny beat Cork in the quarter-final, not the semi-final, in which they beat Limerick. Kilkenny were a little fortunate to win the latter game. Having recovered from Kilkenny's whirlwind start, Limerick dominated the second half territorially but were let down by poor shooting (I think they shot 15 wides in total). Even then, they were denied a possible last-gasp draw when a ball which was deflected over the end line by a Kilkenny defender was signalled wide.

The line ball should have been Kilkenny as it went off a limerick player saying they were fortunate to win that match must be a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The line ball should have been Kilkenny as it went off a limerick player saying they were fortunate to win that match must be a joke.

I was at that match. The ball deflected off a Kilkenny player's hurley which he had been holding up to block the flight of the sliothar.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

JD60 wrote: »
    I was at that match. The ball deflected off a Kilkenny player's hurley which he had been holding up to block the flight of the sliothar.

He's means it should have been a Kilkennny line ball in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Netural observer here, if my memory serves me right Limerick got the rub of the green referring decisions wise in the full 70 mins of that game most notably a very soft penalty just before half time, 65 decision at the end was incorrect but as mentioned line ball decision was dodgy too. Limerick had nobody to blame but themselves for losing that game as they were sleeping walking for the 1st 15 mins, Kilkenny took full advantage early doors and thats what ultimately cost them. To there credit they more than redeemed themselves last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyway back to Waterford, Am i right in thinking there's no challenge matches allowed so it's all in house games

Let's hope were working hard on the aspects we lacked last year.

No challenge matches allowed before May 4. With the league starting on May 9, that means no challenge matches before then.

Mac Dara Mac Donncha has the starting times of our league games in this week's Dungarvan Leader. I don't know where he got them, as I didn't think they were due out for a few days yet, and I haven't seen them anywhere else.

These are the dates, times and venues (all games on Sundays):

May 9 v Cork Páirc Uí Chaoimh 15.45
    May 16 v Westmeath Walsh Park 14.00
    May 23 v Limerick Walsh Park 15.45
    June 6 v Galway Pearse Stadium 15.45
    June 13 v Tipperary Walsh Park 13.45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

is there going to be a league for club players this year whilst intercounty is going on?

is there going to be a league for club players this year whilst intercounty is going on?
    Country has to be at level 2 I think for club games to be allowed.

One correction to the fixture list I posted above.

The game against Westmeath on May 16 starts at 13.30, not 14.00.

Going to be odd feeling about the league this year esp with having no knockout games but suppose teams will have to hit the ground running. First and possibly only time the leagues won't be taking place in terrible weather/pitch conditions

Obviously the aim will be to win as many games as possible and maintain our performance/work rate to. Beating one of Limerick or Tipperary would be a massive morale boost

Exciting times and can't wait for it to start. Such a pity we can't attend and hopefully all our games will be free to air TV (possibly the Westmeath game won't be)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Going to be odd feeling about the league this year esp with having no knockout games but suppose teams will have to hit the ground running. First and possibly only time the leagues won't be taking place in terrible weather/pitch conditions

Obviously the aim will be to win as many games as possible and maintain our performance/work rate to. Beating one of Limerick or Tipperary would be a massive morale boost

Exciting times and can't wait for it to start. Such a pity we can't attend and hopefully all our games will be free to air TV (possibly the Westmeath game won't be)

Surely waterford gaa will stream the westmeath game...the streaming was a good success last year for club games

Surely waterford gaa will stream the westmeath game...the streaming was a good success last year for club games
    I'd imagine every single intercounty league and championship game played this year with no spectators will have be available in some form streaming, tv etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

I'd imagine every single intercounty league and championship game played this year with no spectators will have be available to some form streaming, tv etc.

Fairly sure I read somewhere that the plan is for TG4 & Eir to show whatever they have scheduled across the Group 1's of both codes with whatever isn't on either of those being on GAAGo and then teams in Group 2 & down are free to stream however they want.

I'd imagine every single intercounty league and championship game played this year with no spectators will have be available in some form streaming, tv etc.

Mixed feelings about it if that's the case. Already paying for Sky. For the championship the big matches (9/10 the hurling qualifiers would be in that list) will be on RTE/Sky with the league games on TG4/Eir

Would it be worth paying for a GAAGO pass for a handful of league games or just listen on the radio and watch the highlights later ?

Mixed feelings about it if that's the case. Already paying for Sky. For the championship the big matches (9/10 the hurling qualifiers would be in that list) will be on RTE/Sky with the league games on TG4/Eir

Would it be worth paying for a GAAGO pass for a handful of league games or just listen on the radio and watch the highlights later ?
    you'll probably be able to buy individual games on GAAGO for €5 aswel as the option of a season ticket or pass, that was the case last year.

Were not down for any live coverage on Eir Sport but that only goes up to the 5th June

177841124_3778713965516677_5697955395624543922_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=vxeDFwMstZgAX-dyRfi&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=7f90d92d8f1917f9bbcbf59eb6e82022&oe=60A7E0CF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I believe that is the plan but not possible until government give indication as to when can train & then play games. Schedule will be dependent on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

RIP Austin Flynn. another member of our greatest team gone to his eternal rest.

Rightly regarded as a legend in Waterford, condolences to his family and friends.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    RIP Austin Flynn. another member of our greatest team gone to his eternal rest.

Rightly regarded as a legend in Waterford, condolences to his family and friends.

Rip

How many of the squad are left now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Martin óg

thesultan wrote: »
    Martin óg

Is he the only one still with us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Is he the only one still with us ?

I'd say there are a few, Freddie O'Brien is still around

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Mickey Connors also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Punt Road

Anyone Listen to Anthony Daly's examiner podcast with Fergal Horgan yet?
    I cant help but feel the new Sin bin ruling is set up to be a absolute disaster.....

So a Sin Bin can only be given 'if a player with a goal-scoring opportunity either inside the 20-metre line or the semi-circular arc that extends from the 20 meter line is pulled down, tripped, or struck with a hurley in a careless manner then a penalty shall be awarded and the offender will be yellow-carded and sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes"

Firstly there's no new card colour. If there's a foul warranting a sin bin it will be signified by a penalty and a yellow card. [There is no black card or special referee signal to highlight the sin bin itself]. Confusion could arise if a fella gives away a penalty that warrants a yellow card but was not a sin bin offence as described above. Maybe a small enough issue as we'll soon see the player trotting off the field but something that could've been avoided maybe.

With regards a sin bin foul [which incurs a sin bin, a yellow card and a penalty]

- Its up to the ref alone to assess if there's a goal scoring opportunity. It doesn't need to be 'clear and obvious' according to Horgan and thats a minefield. God help referees. Each Sin Bin decision will be dissected to death on Sunday game / social media/ Monday papers. The factors at play in this part of the decision alone is countless. Some will be clear cut granted.

- If A fella commits one of these sin bin fouls [in bold above] right out near the sideline then a sin bin can be awarded if the ref deems a goal is on. Horgan said in the podcast "why would defender commit one of these fouls out there if he thought a goal wasn't on" and therefore he would award the Sin bin. A crazy comment to make.

- Finally and this is the most important one I think.... if a fella is bearing down on goal, is within the 21 a defender can grab his jersey and pull him back and not incur a sin bin. He will of course incur a yellow card and if in the square a penalty but not a sin bin as he didn't commit a foul highlighted in bold above i.e. pull him down. Two things spring to mind now. Defender will try perfect the jersey pulling art form now as their "last chance saloon tackle" and worst of all.....forwards will, on feeling a jersey tug, go to ground like a sack of spuds giving the referee the chance to interpret that he was "pulled down" rather than a jersey tug i.e. a sin binning instead of a traditional yellow + free/ penalty.

I hope I'm wrong but I think a few big decisions will be centered around this new ruling this year...

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Mickey Connors also.

Larry Guinan is still around to

• Advertisement

According to Mac Dara Mac Donncha in this week’s Dungarvan Leader, the Waterford 37-man training squad is as follows (working from the west to the east of the county):

Seamus Keating, Darragh Lyons, Kieran Power, Patrick Curran, Neil Montgomery, Conor Prunty, Michael Kiely, Jack Prendergast, Iarlaith Daly, Kieran Bennett, Shane Bennett, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney, Jamie Barron, Tom Barron, Conor Gleeson, Shane Ryan, Colin Dunford, Shane Fives, DJ Foran, Calum Lyons, Ciarán Kirwan, Billy Power, Shaun O’Brien, Kevin Moran, Thomas Douglas, Jake Dillon, Jack Fagan, Shane McNulty, Austin Gleeson, Mark O’Brien, Billy Nolan, Ian Kenny, Dessie Hutchinson, Conor Sheahan, Peter Hogan, Darragh Lynch.

As Croke Park has stated that county training panels should not exceed 32, this means that five players from the above list will have to be dropped. I wonder what is the status of the group of young “development” players who, according to Liam Cahill (speaking earlier in the year) would also be included in the training sessions.

Advertisement