Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think there are legitimate concerns with having it go ahead. It can't be considered an elite sport and amateur at the same time considering the difference in lifestyles of the players outside of their team bubbles with players in actual elite sports. Fair amount of GAA players also work in essential jobs like teaching and stuff too.

Strong personal responsibility needs to be taken by players/management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1319532000458530816?s=19

At least its sorted now, its so sad looking at social media and some people ordering the GAA too cancel the rest of the season
    a big portion of these people have a pre conceived anti GAA agenda and are looking for any excuse to stick to boot in.

Also the scenario of certain things been closed down for the moment and others not leads to resentment, e.g someone who regularly plays golf or tennis and is annoyed at the current situation could go down this path. Personally I think it's an awful mindset and doesn't do the person in question any good, I think golf courses been shut is ridiculous but I don't think intercounty GAA, or professional soccer and rugby should cease as a consequence. You'll easily find contradictions in the current restrictions and alot of the people I mentioned are going down this path. Each activity should be judged on its risk rather than the blunt instrument approach some of these people would prefer.

One thing 2020 has showed is how much whingers there is in this country and how alot of them aren't happy unless there doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

There is a ton anti gaa jealousy on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Very good video on the topic

https://youtu.be/xZuEr72I4-U

Very good video on the topic

https://youtu.be/xZuEr72I4-U

yeah thats a very good view on it

If you want a laugh go over and read the Gaelic Games thread in the Coronavirus section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

thesultan wrote: »
    There is a ton anti gaa jealousy on social media.

Social media is full of jealousy and bitterness no matter what the topic. As the previous poster said, there are many legitimate concerns about GAA fixtures going ahead aswell.

I’m a GAA person myself so I’m delighted that there are games to look forward to, but I’m not convinced it’s the right thing to do.
    It seems many intercounty panels are rife with spread of the disease already. I guess it’s up to the players themselves to understand and bear the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Social media is full of jealousy and bitterness no matter what the topic. As the previous poster said, there are many legitimate concerns about GAA fixtures going ahead aswell.

I’m a GAA person myself so I’m delighted that there are games to look forward to, but I’m not convinced it’s the right thing to do.
    It seems many intercounty panels are rife with spread of the disease already. I guess it’s up to the players themselves to understand and bear the risk.
    As a GAA fan, I’m delighted but I can see the other side. After Offaly being told that they had 27 close contacts to a player who didn’t even train on the night in question and had to give a walkover to Kildare in the Christy Ring, it raises the possibility of it happening in a knockout game in the football/hurling championship where a team will have to just pull out. Realistically it could have in an All-Ireland 1/4 or 1/2 final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

player gets in car, drives to Antrim, gets out of car, keeps social distance from everyone, gets ready in dressing room, plays match, gets in car and drives home.

player gets in car, drives to Louth, gets out of car, keeps social distance from everyone, gets ready in dressing room, plays match, gets in car and drives home.

what a farce from the Waterford Football team, there is **** all difference in both circumstances. absolute laughing stock we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Gardner wrote: »
    player gets in car, drives to Antrim, gets out of car, keeps social distance from everyone, gets ready in dressing room, plays match, gets in car and drives home.

player gets in car, drives to Louth, gets out of car, keeps social distance from everyone, gets ready in dressing room, plays match, gets in car and drives home.

what a farce from the Waterford Football team, there is **** all difference in both circumstances. absolute laughing stock we are.

If in Antrim they were getting bus,staying over night, more food stops etc

Ah yeah, leave at 8:30, don’t bother eating at all, shur why would the Waterford footballers need food?? Sit in a car for 4 and half hours but don’t stop, arrive on at 1, play the match and get hammered a dead rubber match cos they are stiff after after the trip, pick up a few injuries and head away home. I genuinely believe that’s what some of our own county thinks would be suitable for our footballers, laughable.

• Advertisement

And its a great start for us. Waterford twitter not even bothering keeping the score updated. Get this bloody game over and done with

https://twitter.com/AontroimGAA/status/1319989696328568833?s=19

PTH2009 wrote: »
    And its a great start for us. Waterford twitter not even bothering keeping the score updated. Get this bloody game over and done with

https://twitter.com/AontroimGAA/status/1319989696328568833?s=19

Waterford twitter have every score and scorer up

Waterford twitter have every score and scorer up

Must be an issue with my app

https://twitter.com/AontroimGAA/status/1319996455948636160?s=19

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1320010255993081856?s=20

good effort after a bad start, No fear of Limerick at home in the Munster Championship next Saturday

If in Antrim they were getting bus,staying over night, more food stops etc

go away out of it, so they drive to Louth now but if they had to drive an extra hour they had to get a bus and stay over night. You are talking complete and utter nonsense.

im delighted they got the ****e bate out of them tonight. they deserved it for their antics!

Ah yeah, leave at 8:30, don’t bother eating at all, shur why would the Waterford footballers need food?? Sit in a car for 4 and half hours but don’t stop, arrive on at 1, play the match and get hammered a dead rubber match cos they are stiff after after the trip, pick up a few injuries and head away home. I genuinely believe that’s what some of our own county thinks would be suitable for our footballers, laughable.

to drive an extra hour up the road made no blind bit of difference. you swear they were going to be another 4 hours the way you are carrying on. they didn't want to play the game and got rotten. they should be ****ed out of the championship.

Both Gleeson and Montgomery are out next week due to playing Football. it's about time we banned it in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

go away out of it, so they drive to Louth now but if they had to drive an extra hour they had to get a bus and stay over night. You are talking complete and utter nonsense.

im delighted they got the ****e bate out of them tonight. they deserved it for their antics!

Your a clown , ud swear I was making them get the bus, would you go if your job told you ud have to self isolate after returning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Jez, that kind of comment says a lot about you as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Jez, that kind of comment says a lot about you as a person.

Nothing he hasn't proven before. At least this exchange makes it clear he never set foot in a dressing room, contrary to earlier claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

to drive an extra hour up the road made no blind bit of difference. you swear they were going to be another 4 hours the way you are carrying on. they didn't want to play the game and got rotten. they should be ****ed out of the championship.

Both Gleeson and Montgomery are out next week due to playing Football. it's about time we banned it in Waterford

Mod warning

Gardner going forward argue your points in a constructive non inflammatory manner.

In addition you must rein your less than complimentary posting re your home county.

• Advertisement

After watching how open the 2 games were this weekend, I’m fearful of next weekend. I don’t know is the lack of crowd that is taking from the intensity but there definitely wasn’t the same bite in either game.
    If next weekend is a shootout, it would definitely favour Cork as they have shooters from range and don’t tend to go for the jugular inside. In this sense, Páraic Mahony is a huge loss as there could be space for our half forwards to shoot. I hope it’s much tighter & physical in around the middle third for our own sake!

After watching how open the 2 games were this weekend, I’m fearful of next weekend. I don’t know is the lack of crowd that is taking from the intensity but there definitely wasn’t the same bite in either game.
    If next weekend is a shootout, it would definitely favour Cork as they have shooters from range and don’t tend to go for the jugular inside. In this sense, Páraic Mahony is a huge loss as there could be space for our half forwards to shoot. I hope it’s much tighter & physical in around the middle third for our own sake!

Still a sense of pre match nerves that will get worse as the week goes on. Bloody pity we don't have the under 20 game tomorrow

A win next saturday is so important as it will get that losing monkey off our backs,give us an extra week off and a shot at winning Munster. Qualifiers are scheduled for the weekend of 7th/8th Nov. Games could come quick and fast

Think there is a gap between Limerick, Tipp, Wexford and the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I think upthedeise16 is spot-on in pointing to the lack of intensity in yesterday’s Limerick/Clare game. Sixty scores is ridiculous in any 75-minute game, never mind a Munster senior hurling championship game doubling up as a National League final. It was the same in Croke Park on Saturday night where we had 56 scores in another very open game.

Joe McGrath, who coached the Waterford hurlers 30 years ago, used to say that a hurling team scoring a total of 20 points was rarely beaten. Clare and Laois both comfortably surpassed that total and yet were well behind their opponents.

It is clear that big and partisan crowds are a key ingredient in the intensity we associate with championship matches. It will be interesting if any team will be able to reach high intensity levels in the absence of this stimulant. A key contributor in Kilkenny’s win over Limerick in last year’s All-Ireland semi-final was the way they tore into their opponents, especially in the first half. Nevertheless, Limerick wrested back control after the change of ends and probably would have won were it not for errant shooting and a terrible umpiring error at the death.

Yesterday Clare were level at half time due mainly to wind assistance, the clever ploy of placing the in-form Tony Kelly deep in the forwards to pick up breaking ball, and a rather slipshod effort by Limerick. Obviously the legendary hurley was smashed on the Limerick dressing-room table at half time as they were a different animal from the restart.

I was surprised that Clare had no strategy for dealing with the Limerick half back line while playing against the wind, as they persisted with long puckouts in the third quarter with little return. They started going short in the final quarter, but with no obvious game plan and very little ball going into their potentially dangerous full forward line. Limerick are physically powerful where it is needed yet very skillful, have a well-honed game plan, an array of top-class shooters and a strong bench. They will take some stopping.

In the Croke Park game, Mattie Kenny used his resources well, starting the game with two debutants and several fringe players, and then bringing on the more experienced hands, including Eamonn Dillon, Liam Rushe, Mark Schutte, Shane Barrett and Jake Malone, to finish out the game. Even then, he had the luxury of not naming Conal Keany, David Treacy and Paul Ryan (all affected by minor injuries, apparently) in his matchday squad. They do appear to have a bit of depth in their panel, which could be a key factor in this year’s championship.

New boy Conor Burke made a big impression, but I expect his lightly-built namesake Donal could come in for some tough treatment from Kilkenny. The experiment of playing the strong, tall and mobile Chris Crummey as a ballwinner (and shooter) in the forwards seemed to work well.

Laois had good skill levels and played some nice hurling, but their key problems are a lack of physicality and top-level smarts. These are qualities which they can develop if they can remain involved at Division 1 level, but losing half their team from last year won’t help in this respect. I was rather surprised that they stuck to their defensive formation as the game ran away from them, especially in the final quarter. They never even looked like creating a goal chance. I was impressed by their centre back, Pádraig Delaney, while midfielder Paddy Purcell produced his usual good-quality performance.

Returning to the high scoring rate in these games. While the looseness of these games was a big factor here, I do think something will have to be done about the sliotar, which is simply travelling too far in my view. I think it is ridiculous to see Enda Rowland hitting frees twenty feet over the bar from deep in his own half. Yesterday players were hitting points from 70 metres with the merest flick of the wrists. It looked just too easy at times. Meanwhile, we are seeing fewer and fewer of the goalmouth thrills which used to be a key feature of hurling.

Any idea of the Waterford team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I just heard Dungarvan will be stripped of their county football win, any truth to that?

Motivator wrote: »
    I just heard Dungarvan will be stripped of their county football win, any truth to that?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40071206.html?type=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

thesultan wrote: »
    Any idea of the Waterford team?
    My guess would be the following -
    SOK, Shane Fives, Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty, Darragh Fives, Tadhg De Burca, Calum Lyons, Jamie Barron, Kieran Bennett, Kevin Moran, Austin Gleeson, Jack Fagan, Dessie Hutchinson, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney

Other options include Jake Dillon, Iarlaith Daly, Colin Dunford, Jordan Henley and Stephen Roche.

Pauric Mahony, Conor Gleeson and Neil Montgomery all absent through injury.

A few subs there not even on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

My guess would be the following -
    SOK, Shane Fives, Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty, Darragh Fives, Tadhg De Burca, Calum Lyons, Jamie Barron, Kieran Bennett, Kevin Moran, Austin Gleeson, Jack Fagan, Dessie Hutchinson, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney

Other options include Jake Dillon, Iarlaith Daly, Colin Dunford, Jordan Henley and Stephen Roche.

Pauric Mahony, Conor Gleeson and Neil Montgomery all absent through injury.

Henley & Roche not on the panel.

I’d expect close to that team however. Moran at wing back, Callum at midfield & either Kieran Bennett or Jack Prendergast at wing forward. Not sure Kearney will get his place either, that spot is up for grabs I would think. I wonder will Iarlath Daly feature, he did very well in his league debut this year but picked up an injury afterwards.

Advertisement