Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Another close contest between Tipp and Cork tonight. We need to be winning by 7+ tomorrow even if it's still a B team

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Another close contest between Tipp and Cork tonight. We need to be winning by 7+ tomorrow even if it's still a B team

Why?? :rolleyes:

IanVW wrote: »
    Why?? :rolleyes:

We need a positive result no matter the opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

We need a positive result no matter the opposition

We don't glorified challenge match trying new players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Sirsok wrote: »
    Got to sit in for an interview with Dan Shanahan today if anybody's interested.

Few fiery words about his time under Davy Fitz but really sound guy!

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-019-dan-shanahan-waterford-hurling-legend-three-time-all-star/

Heard it all before. Nothing new there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Absolutely woeful performance by footballers at home to carlow.Drew with the same opposition last year,getting hammered by 15 points at home is horrendous in div 4.

Absolutely demoralising especially under new management.

Hopefully a solid performance today

Weather not great atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Venom69 wrote: »
    Absolutely woeful performance by footballers at home to carlow.Drew with the same opposition last year,getting hammered by 15 points at home is horrendous in div 4.

Absolutely demoralising especially under new management.

Didn’t see the game but that team that was named was one of the weakest I’ve ever seen line out in Waterford colours. Some lads are no way near senior intercounty level unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Yet another year and zero progress yet again.no consistency as per usual.

Absolutely headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

The GAA GO commentator is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Is it me or are either Keiran or Dan breathing very heavily into the microphone?

Decent start, weather conditions coming into play

Keirin O Connor would do your head in sometimes

I couldn't less about Johnny from Abbeyside listening etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cornerboy 2

I'm beginning to hate the game of hurling.....Non contact, Short passes, and most scores coming from soft frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

I'm beginning to hate the game of hurling.....Non contact, Short passes, and most scores coming from soft frees.

The amount of frees in that half was ridiculous,

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cornerboy 2

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    The amount of frees in that half was ridiculous,
    Its now a totally non contact game a bit like hockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Waterford would want to spend an entire session on picking the ball, abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

Incredibly poor second half.

A wins a win but very bad performance overall. We will not be beating another one else playing like that

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Mikey Bevans is one of the best coaches in hurling and yet the main problem with Waterford hurling persists. Id say over the 72 minutes the number of times a waterford player failed to lift the ball was probably about 40/50 times. It was identified by Cahill after the first league game against Cork last year and it remains a huge problem.
    Time after time moves breaking down due to poor touch, we're at nothing until this is addressed.

Outside of that - the game of hurling is at a crossroads- a free for every tackle now- it's making a farce of the game- needs to be addressed and fast

• Advertisement

Another poor performance, too many players on that panel are miles off the required level , no depth to the squad .

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Really poor spectacle alright, between the rain and the ref there was no flow to the play at all.

I've no idea if there is heavy training going on or not at the moment but we didn't look sharp. There's a number of players got a chance today and simply didn't take it.

Although I thought Shane Fives was excellent all throughout.

We could be in for some hammerings the next 3 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We could be in for some hammerings the next 3 rounds

Or we could put out a strong 15 against two teams who won’t be showing their full hand.

Fellas getting worked up over nothing

Gavlor wrote:
    Fellas getting worked up over nothing

Fellas getting worked up players who can't do the basics and who have had way to many chances over the years or the lack of killer instinct in the team .

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Poor game overall.

Shane Fives at full back was very interesting, I wonder will he get a run there against one of the top teams over next few weeks. it could release Prunty to centre back which would be very interesting to see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

carter10 wrote: »
    Mikey Bevans is one of the best coaches in hurling and yet the main problem with Waterford hurling persists. Id say over the 72 minutes the number of times a waterford player failed to lift the ball was probably about 40/50 times. It was identified by Cahill after the first league game against Cork last year and it remains a huge problem.
    Time after time moves breaking down due to poor touch, we're at nothing until this is addressed.

Outside of that - the game of hurling is at a crossroads- a free for every tackle now- it's making a farce of the game- needs to be addressed and fast

I'd imagine Waterford are doing insane physical training at the moment for the championship. I wouldn't worry too much about first touch at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Poor game overall.

Shane Fives at full back was very interesting, I wonder will he get a run there against one of the top teams over next few weeks. it could release Prunty to centre back which would be very interesting to see how it goes

I’d wonder if Prunty has the hurling for centre back. He is an excellent stopper certainly. No harm in having a look at it though & good to give Fives a game at full back should Prunty be unavailable at any stage.

Trying to find positives from today; I thought Ian Kenny played very well, Peter Hogan worked very hard & linked play quite well at midfield. DJ took his scores well although was definitely guilty of fumbling balls & missing picks also. Kearney took his goal well & did pretty well from the limited supply he got.
    O’Brien wasn’t inspiring confidence in the goal & his distribution left a lot to be desired. Tom Barron struggled at corner back, & although it wouldn’t be a natural position for him, I thought his distribution was also very average. Billy Power failed to have any impact on the game at midfield. Fagan never got going at all. Curran while good on frees contributed little to nothing from play & spilled possession quite a bit. Jack was surprisingly quiet in the corner. Kiely had a few dangerous moments against a very good full back. It was good to see him taking on his man when the ball was played into space for him.
    Overall I don’t think too many have moved up the rank of the subs after today.
    Fagan’s red seemed to be harsh to me. Lyons had no business putting in that tackle & it’s an aspect of his game we’ve seen plenty of times down through the years unfortunately.

Limerick will be out to get their first win of the campaign at home next weekend & it’s hard to see us putting up much of a challenge unless there is a big change in approach to what we have seen thus far in the League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Liam Cahill has said he was happy enough with the performance, at the end of the day this was his second string team. We don’t have that much strength in depth that we should expect to hammer Westmeath without all our top players. only 2 or 3 really put up their hand when you’d like to have seen 4 or 5 but that’s how it is.
    Limerick is coming at a bad time for us next week, they’ll be gunning for their first win whereas Cahill will be starting to assemble his best starting team for the remainder of the 3 games. I’d still be hopeful that Cahill has his eyes firmly fixed on the championship, that’s what I’m getting from it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

50 or so frees and 3 red cards in a game that wasn't dirty at all.
    Hurling is in a bad place.

Advertisement