Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Didn't expect a team that strong to be named

Be brilliant to get a win

Not far off our Championship starting 15 I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Why is kirwan down as the kill club ,isn't he playing with clonea this year

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I was expecting maybe 13 of our championship team to start from a settled 26. Actually surprised to see much change on the 26 so close to the Clare game. Kinda feels like Cahill doesn't really know what his best 26 is just yet or else he's super confident on it and resting a few whilst just giving a few lads a taste of it. I would have thought Barron needed another game to get into his rhythm. I presume he's got a niggle or else maybe I'm over presumptuous that Cahill wouldn't drop him. Nice to see some new names on the bench but feels a bit of an odd one. Curran has been looking really sharp so I would have given him a start to see how he goes.

I was expecting maybe 13 of our championship team to start from a settled 26. Actually surprised to see much change on the 26 so close to the Clare game. Kinda feels like Cahill doesn't really know what his best 26 is just yet or else he's super confident on it and resting a few whilst just giving a few lads a taste of it. I would have thought Barron needed another game to get into his rhythm. I presume he's got a niggle or else maybe I'm over presumptuous that Cahill wouldn't drop him. Nice to see some new names on the bench but feels a bit of an odd one. Curran has been looking really sharp so I would have given him a start to see how he goes.

They played Dublin Thursday night ,so I'd think everyone that was fit got game time,

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

They played Dublin Thursday night ,so I'd think everyone that was fit got game time,

Dublin U20’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

As an outsider I can never understand why Peter Hogan hasn't gotten more game time. I saw him play Sixmilebridge for Ballygunner. And iv seen him a few times on TV. He's a pro, great attitude and work rate. I hope he plays well. I hope Waterford win
    Clare and Waterford have traditionally put Tipperary up on abit of a pedestal so I think Cahill really wants to lay down a marker. You have to cut into Tipperary, it's the only way. Limerick have beaten Tipp with inferior teams over the years by sticking to the mantra of beating Tipp physically first. Big game for Waterford and Tipp who themselves are coming together nicely.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Dublin U20’s.

Yes last year's u 20 team

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clare scoring 4-20 today

Massive challenge for us now in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Clare scoring 4-20 today

Massive challenge for us now in 2 weeks

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40310975.html

Selector Tom Feeney takes positives from Waterford's National League lessons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Best of luck to the footballers against antrim.

What a day the matches, enjoy everyone who was lucky enough to get a ticket

Antrim playing very good stuff in the football atm leading 0-4-0-0 almost 14 mins gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

The camera work isn’t the best. Waterford mixing the good with the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Some good work in the forwards/midfiels being undone by some laughable Junior B level defending

Coughed up 2 soft goals to Tipp as against 2 wonder goals for Dessie. Aussie didn't look good coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Ffs the goals we are giving away are so soft and avoidable. Not able to control the ball and then ball watching instead of marking their men. It’s fixable but we we have been doing it all league and still doing 2 weeks before championship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Presumed this was a half 3 start for some reason, dang.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great win. Dry sod and a whizzing ball will suit our quick forwards

Another breathtaking match. Wouldn't get carried away but what a 2nd half. Defence tightened up considerably. Waterford could almost have scored 5 or 6 goals. Thought Darragh Lyons 'put in a great shift' for the entire match. Hogan showed up well too, not forgetting the 3 Bennetts. Mikey Kiely did well when introduced .... the list goes on but hey, let's not get carried away.

Anytime we beat Tipperary is a good day, Looking forward to seeing the highlights

Overall a good league campaign with 3 home wins from 3 but the 2 away defeats a little worrying. Some great performances

Roll on the championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jmf1993

looking very sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Sounded like a great match on the radio, coming from behind to win by 5 is great stuff, sounds like we're sharpening up and starting to go up the gears now. Hopefully the injuries arent too serious, but I dont think we've ever had this kind of depth before? Great to see we're also going back to playing a quick game based on skill not the drudgery that the players were forced to play since the Davy era.

Anytime we beat Tipperary is a good day, Looking forward to seeing the highlights

Overall a good league campaign with 3 home wins from 3 but the 2 away defeats a little worrying. Some great performances

Roll on the championship

Great post apart from comment about 2 away defeats. I know you get slagged off (in fairness, you leave yourself wide open) but your heart is in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Missed the start on the radio and only caught a bit. So Aussie went wing back. Who went midfield with Darragh Lyons? Sounds like a great performance. Hopefully the injuries aren’t too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Any news on Aussie? Didn't look too bad but you never know.

I bought that gaago season pass and it's worked out great. I hope they do it again next year

puzl wrote: »
    Any news on Aussie? Didn't look too bad but you never know.

I bought that gaago season pass and it's worked out great. I hope they do it again next year

Be stupid not to but all going well I'll certainly be buying a season ticket and back in the Stadiums by the start of the 2022 league

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Be stupid not to but all going well I'll certainly be buying a season ticket and back in the Stadiums by the start of the 2022 league

Probably be the biggest audiences for the league in a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Pudz2180 wrote: »
    Ffs the goals we are giving away are so soft and avoidable. Not able to control the ball and then ball watching instead of marking their men. It’s fixable but we we have been doing it all league and still doing 2 weeks before championship

On the plus side we’ve now beaten both Tipp and Limerick in the league and have been good value for both wins. It will a huge psychological boost should we meet either of those sides come championship.

We’re not the only side shipping big scores at the back, the way the game is going it’s a forwards game. Cahill will know exactly where the holes need to be plugged. Settling on his best back 6 is the big decision now as he’s changed it around every game during the league, and to be honest I couldn’t say for certainty who will be playing in 4 of the 6 defensive positions against Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Oh man how I would love to see Waterford win a Munster final this year. I'm probably thinking to far ahead but would be nice to have a bit of silverware.

• Advertisement

to be honest I couldn’t say for certainty who will be playing in 4 of the 6 defensive positions against Clare.[/QUOTE]

Given that Prunty, Aussie and possibly Fives are injury doubts, this presents an even bigger headache for Cahill.

With such a tight schedule for league and championship, every team will ship a few injuries here and there.

Bizarre as it might sound, the team that loses between Waterford/Clare might have an advantage in the longer term championship, as there is a nice break until the first qualifier round (July 17th), which will give time to regroup and clear up injuries etc.. Furthermore, in recent times, the team that wins Munster after playing 3 games has a poor record when when it comes to winning the AI (allowing for Limerick doing it last year).

Advertisement