Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

JD60 wrote: »
    to be honest I couldn’t say for certainty who will be playing in 4 of the 6 defensive positions against Clare.

Given that Prunty, Aussie and possibly Fives are injury doubts, this presents an even bigger headache for Cahill.

With such a tight schedule for league and championship, every team will ship a few injuries here and there.

Bizarre as it might sound, the team that loses between Waterford/Clare might have an advantage in the longer term championship, as there is a nice break until the first qualifier round (July 17th), which will give time to regroup and clear up injuries etc.. Furthermore, in recent times, the team that wins Munster after playing 3 games has a poor record when when it comes to winning the AI (allowing for Limerick doing it last year).[/quote]

what happened with Prunty? I didn't realise he got injured. Aussie walked off the pitch so hopefully he will be ok. not sure how bad fives injury is either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

According to Cahill, Prunty picked up a quad injury and Aussie twisted something (even though Aussie walked off, he wasn't moving too well).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

So Aussie went wing back. Who went midfield with Darragh Lyons?

Kevin Moran went to midfield and played the whole game there. Peter Hogan also played there in a three-man midfield, with a two-man full forward line (Hutchinson and Shane Bennett).

I doubt if GAAGo will be showing games in Ireland next year, assuming full attendances will be allowed. It is a service for people living overseas, and was only used for Irish audiences last year and this year because no one could attend the games.

For those who missed yesterday's game, it is still available to view on the GAAGo website. I think it costs €5. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

According to Cahill, Prunty picked up a quad injury and Aussie twisted something (even though Aussie walked off, he wasn't moving too well).

As a Clare man but a genuine hurling supporter also I hope Prunty and Aussie make it. Prunty and Shanagher had a titanic battle last year. It's those types of matchups that's what we love about championship hurling. Aussie is obviously a box office talent.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    As a Clare man but a genuine hurling supporter also I hope Prunty and Aussie make it. Prunty and Shanagher had a titanic battle last year. It's those types of matchups that's what we love about championship hurling. Aussie is obviously a box office talent.

Didn't one of your lads go off injured on Saturday. Will be a savage encounter on Sunday week ; let's hope the winners don't wear themselves out with Tipp waiting in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Didn't one of your lads go off injured on Saturday. Will be a savage encounter on Sunday week ; let's hope the winners don't wear themselves out with Tipp waiting in the wings.

Yes David McInerney, who had just came back from injury, and the new starting corner back Aaron Fitzgerald. McInerney looked like a groin strain, I think he is in trouble now for this game. I'd say he will miss it, which would be a blow. Fitzgerald not so much, he is unproven at this level. It looked like a broken rib with him. We havent got any indication though on either player so don't take my word for it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

letowski wrote: »
    Yes David McInerney, who had just came back from injury, and the new starting corner back Aaron Fitzgerald. McInerney looked like a groin strain, I think he is in trouble now for this game. I'd say he will miss it, which would be a blow. Fitzgerald not so much, he is unproven at this level. It looked like a broken rib with him. We havent got any indication though on either player so don't take my word for it just yet.

I got a message saying Aaron Fitz got a punctured lung on Saturday. That leaves us(Clare) with massive issues in defense with Mcinerney out too more than likely. Two spaces need to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I got a message saying Aaron Fitz got a punctured lung on Saturday. That leaves us(Clare) with massive issues in defense with Mcinerney out too more than likely. Two spaces need to be filled.

I thought I saw the guy spitting blood which is never a good sign. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. I recall another Clare corner back suffering one back around 2016 and I'm not sure if he has played since.

It's desperate seeing players getting injured just before the start of the championship. hopefully all the players mentioned, ours and Clare's, make the game in two weeks. Liam Cahill sounded very concerned about pruntys injury on the radio this evening though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

I think Cahill has put a lot of effort finding a replacement for tdb at 6 and to lose prunty two weeks before the Clare game is going to make his selections very difficult indeed.

Hopefully Prunty makes a recovery, if not for the Clare game the at least for the semi or qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Giveitfong wrote: »
    For those who missed yesterday's game, it is still available to view on the GAAGo website. I think it costs €5. Well worth a watch.

While it was better than nothing and you wouldn't expect much for a fiver- the commentary was dreadful. Never mentioned that Prunty and Fives had gone off injured, said Billy Power had gone off when he hadn't then kept referring to Power during the game. Had Kieran Bennett playing in two different positions- either that or Bennett is now so good that he can clear a ball and be up the other side of the field for the delivery.
    In fairness to him the 3 red helmets and 3 yellow helmets made it difficult to distinguish between some Waterford players.
    Interestingly Waterford played well in defence when some of the more established names had gone off injured.

I think (hard to make out much from the one camera angle) Conor Gleeson went full back after Prunty went off - the Cork examiner had Conor Gleeson going off at half time but I think that was an error.

Anyway, whoever it was did a good job on Callinan- although Callinan has been struggling for form in the league so far. Saying that he took the goal chance when it presented itself. In an identical chance down the other end Michael Kiely hit the post when it seemed easier to hit the net.
    That was a feature of the game- Waterford creating good goal scoring chances but the finish or final pass was not up to the reuired standard. On 2 occasions Shane Bennett had great goal chances but on both occasions took the wrong option.
    Waterford completely dominated the second half but the rsult was still in the balance until the last few minutes. This was due in part in to giving up another soft goal to get Tipp back into it and also on a number of occasions when we had a goal chance Tipp went down the other end and pointed, an example of this was when Stephen Bennett was standing over a free at 5 points up and played it short to Kieran- who dropped it- cleared point down the other end a 2 point swing. Instead of being a comfortable 6 up we were 4. Happened a few times in the 2nd half and as a result our dominance wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.
    Darragh Lyons ability, energy and strong running was a big plus in the 2nd half as was the contribution of Peter Hogan ( i think- yellow helmet) who dropped deep and picked up a lot of ball. Similarly Jack Prendergast had a big contribution ( again yellow helmet- could be mixing up plays from both!)

Two new names ( to me anyway) were Ciaran Kirwan and Darragh Lynch- the former scored a point soon after his introduction but was not really involved after that the latter won a free late on but again as his helmet clashed with Calum Lyons in a congested area of the field so its hard to give a definited take on his performance.

Generally, the hurling by Waterford was faster and crisper than it had been against Galway in the previous round. In contrast to the Galway game we won all the contested ball round the middle and at the back which gave a good platform to run at Tipp. The support of the runners and the ball into the forwards was excellent. Tipp struggled big time when we ran at them.

I don't know how much Tipp were up for it but seeing as they put out a strong side and there was the potential for them to finish top I'm guessing they were.
    Obviously, the injuries are a big worry going into the Clare game. Really frustrating the injuries we have had over the last year- To add Paric Mahony and T de Burca to the existing panel we would be giving it a serious go I think,
    Still the fitness is there, the hurling looks like its at Championship level- we just have to hope for a bit of luck with the injuries over the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Maybe a good idea to have no 2 helmets the same - like horse racing if multiple runners in the same silks!

carter10 wrote: »
    While it was better than nothing and you wouldn't expect much for a fiver- the commentary was dreadful.

Agree that the commentary was useless ; the pictures weren't much better ; the screen froze for about 10 minutes but could have been my signal.

Waterford looked like world beaters in the 2nd half, even though they gave Tipp every chance to stay in touch. Waterford were rampaging all over their defence ; had they opted not to go for goal at nearly every opportunity, they could have scored about 45 points ! Would expect a much more aggressive Tipp, should we meet on July 4th.

Great to see Shane Bennett back to what we always knew he was capable of ; with Dessie and Stephen lurking around the full forward line, it's open season on shooting for goals ; add in Curran/Prendergast/Kiely and you have to be optimistic no matter who the opposition but you would also be fearful of conceding lots at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

carter10 wrote: »

Anyway, whoever it was did a good job on Callinan- although Callinan has been struggling for form in the league so far. Saying that he took the goal chance when it presented itself. In an identical chance down the other end Michael Kiely hit the post when it seemed easier to hit the net.

Callanan is only just back from a long-term injury. Has only played two games within a week. If he's scoring anything off you in that shape, you'd be in big trouble down the line. That said, he might not get the required games to get fit. Time is against him.

It's mad how it has changed around so quickly, seems only recently we were stocked with loads of defenders, particularly half backs, and seemed very light up front. now we seem to have an abundance of attacking options but serious questions over how our defence will shape up with the championship less than 2 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    It's mad how it has changed around so quickly, seems only recently we were stocked with loads of defenders, particularly half backs, and seemed very light up front. now we seem to have an abundance of attacking options but serious questions over how our defence will shape up with the championship less than 2 weeks away.

The running game - continual overlaps - carrying ball at speed, time and again, is very hard on the body. Takes a hard preseason/training to prime the body for that. Particularly over a number of seasons. It's not for older bodies. Time will tell - but fatigue, and injuries mounts up. I think Cork had nearly ten players injured at one stage during this league - unless that's a fib I heard.

Interestingly, the camera GAAGo used for the football game in Fraher Field (Division 4) had an instant replay facility while the one used in Walsh Park (Division 1 top-of-the-table clash) didn't. I wonder how these things are decided.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Interestingly, the camera GAAGo used for the football game in Fraher Field (Division 4) had an instant replay facility while the one used in Walsh Park (Division 1 top-of-the-table clash) didn't. I wonder how these things are decided.

I've watched a lot of games on gaa go this year and last Sunday in Walsh park was by a mile the worst, the picture was jumpy, no replays of incidents and the commentator was very poor.

I heard the under 20 team won well against Wexford at the weekend. The corresponding minor team from 3 years ago wasn't bad so hopefully we can have a bit of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I heard the under 20 team won well against Wexford at the weekend. The corresponding minor team from 3 years ago wasn't bad so hopefully we can have a bit of success.

Nice to hear, we need strong underage teams

Jesus looking back at last years Under 20 Munster semi final, we were a little unlucky but Tipp starting so slow and the winter weather conditions might of made us look better than we were and the extra time collapse a reflection of that . Don't think we would of beaten Cork in the final but a win would of been a little lift after losing the senior final a few days prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

If I remember that group actually beat both Tipp and Limerick in the round robin, the 2 teams that ended up in the all Ireland after. So can’t have been too far off the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

From what i'm hearing, Gleeson twisted ankle and due to be ok for Sunday week. Prunty and Fives both quads and ruled out of game and serious doubt if we beat Clare to face Tipp.

Gardner wrote: »
    From what i'm hearing, Gleeson twisted ankle and due to be ok for Sunday week. Prunty and Fives both quads and ruled out of game and serious doubt if we beat Clare to face Tipp.

good to hear about Gleeson but bad news for the defence, particularly about Prunty. that's the spine of the defence gone, full back and centre back, from last year's team. who do we play full back now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Deisegodeo wrote:
    good to hear about Gleeson but bad news for the defence, particularly about Prunty. that's the spine of the defence gone, full back and centre back, from last year's team. who do we play full back now ?

Ian Kenny ? Conor Gleeson ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Think prunty will be a huge loss if he’s out. Has been excellent since stepping into the full back line especially when in my opinion the corner back positions are a real issue. Wonder who will Cahill go with if he isn’t playing. Shane fives played there against Westmeath but he looks like being out as well. Was hard to tell from the tv but did Conor Gleeson play there last Sunday? Also who plays in the corners? If Shane fives is out and if he goes with Conor gleeson at full then that really only leaves Mcnulty and kenny.

Prunty would be a huge loss against Shanagher.

yeah I'd have thought Shane fives would fill in full back but he may be out now too. Conor Gleeson has experience there but not proven at this level, though I'm not sure we have any other options at the minute. I'd be guessing a full back line of mcnulty, c Gleeson, Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

any highlights available for last weekends game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Gardner wrote: »

How could anybody be ruled in or out after 2 days of the injury happening

Advertisement