Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We will play on the 17th July against either Laois,Antrim or one of the losing Leinster Semi finalists. We can't receive the automatic bye to Round 2 and that will go to one of the losing Munster Semi finalists

Open draw in Round 2 depending on repeat pairings IF we get there

I hope the water break is here to stay. It makes the game more interesting and could be developed more. The bad teams use it badly .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

puzl wrote: »
    This is our path to Liam this year:

Two weekends off during which we hope to see Prunty and Baron back. Fingers crossed of course.

Then:

17/18 July - 1st qualifier round Vs a semi final loser or winner of Laois/Antrim

If we win that then:

24 July - 2nd qualifier round against a beaten semi finalist.

If we win that:

31 July - QF against a losing provincial finalist.

If we win that:

7/8 August - Semi final against aprovincial winner

And if we win that........

We get a two weekends off

And then:

22 August AI final.

So we have 2 weeks off, 4 weeks in a row, two weeks off and a final. Seems like a tall order, but we'll keep on dreaming as always.

the problem is we would have to play top teams in quarter and semi finals and it's then the 4 weeks in a row becomes a real problem, plus a higher chance of even more injuries. it's a tall order really.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

This is our path to Liam this

So we have 2 weeks off, 4 weeks in a row, two weeks off and a final. Seems like a tall order, but we'll keep on dreaming as always.

Ahem, a tall order but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

I remember being in Thurles in 2013 for the qualifier against Kilkenny. The preceding qualifier game was a god damn awful match between Clare & Wexford ; Clare limped over the line and then, amazingly, went on to win the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

JD. 60 wrote: »
    Ahem, a tall order but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

I remember being in Thurles in 2013 for the qualifier against Kilkenny. The preceding qualifier game was a god damn awful match between Clare & Wexford ; Clare limped over the line and then, amazingly, went on to win the AI.

Not sure there's a solid comparison. In 2013 Clare played Laois on 6 July, Wexford on 13 July. Then they played Galway two weeks later and the semi-final was not for another three weeks on 18 August. The first All Ireland final was not played until 8 September. That's five games over ten weeks. A far cry from 4 in 4 weeks. Not saying it can't be done but no comparison with Clare in 2013 if the run of games is the point at issue, which I think is what the other poster was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Last season we played 3 weeks in a row getting to the All Ireland final

Looking forward to the weekends semi finals, one would hope Dublin don't cause another shock and beat Galway. Galway in the 1st round of the qualifier's would be a right kick in the stones for us. We wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Last season we played 3 weeks in a row getting to the All Ireland final

Looking forward to the weekends semi finals, one would hope Dublin don't cause another shock and beat Galway. Galway in the 1st round of the qualifier's would be a right kick in the stones for us. We wait and see

I don't think Dublin beating Antrim was a shock. And Dublin are capable of kicking Waterford, the way they're performing this year, in the stones too.

I think I posted about it on here before, but during the league there was one weekend where Waterford conceded more than Westmeath conceded. 4-28. Prunty and Barron played in that game. I know it's only the league. But that's 4-28.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Laois conceded 5-31 to Wexford at the weekend. A nod to the legendary concession of 5-31 by Waterford in the 1982 Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

This is our path to Liam this year:

Two weekends off during which we hope to see Prunty and Baron back. Fingers crossed of course.

Then:

17/18 July - 1st qualifier round Vs a semi final loser or winner of Laois/Antrim

If we win that then:

24 July - 2nd qualifier round against a beaten semi finalist.

If we win that:

31 July - QF against a losing provincial finalist.

If we win that:

7/8 August - Semi final against aprovincial winner

And if we win that........

We get a two weekends off

And then:

22 August AI final.

The silver linings there is that the players will have no time to think of anything else other than the next match, they'll also have a lot more serious gametime relative to other teams as we progress (if we keep going). Theres no substitute for actually playing in a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

The silver linings there is that the players will have no time to think of anything else other than the next match, they'll also have a lot more serious gametime relative to other teams as we progress (if we keep going). Theres no substitute for actually playing in a match.

The problem with so many matches in this short time frame is the worry of picking up even more injuries along the way, which unfortunately we can't afford, as seen by the absence of two of our regular stsrters against Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Laois conceded 5-31 to Wexford at the weekend. A nod to the legendary concession of 5-31 by Waterford in the 1982 Munster final.

Why in Gods name would you bring that up

• Advertisement

I wonder will our 1st round qualifer be used as a trial event given there will be thousands in attendance between these weekends games

Could be wrong but i think the qualifiers are neutral venues with Thurles and Kilkenny been ideal venues depending on opposition

skaface wrote: »
    The problem with so many matches in this short time frame is the worry of picking up even more injuries along the way, which unfortunately we can't afford, as seen by the absence of two of our regular stsrters against Clare.

Like... do you think I was unaware of this or...? :confused:

Like... do you think I was unaware of this or...? :confused:

Cop yourself on there..
    This is a public forum .. You posted on here and i just commented on your post..
    Less of the sarcastic comments.. No one likes a smart arse

Cop yourself on there..
    This is a public forum .. You posted on here and i just commented on your post..
    Less of the sarcastic comments.. No one likes a smart arse

Soooo...?

Edit: Like your pointing out the very obvious for no apparent reason and commenting on my post specifically I thought maybe you had something else to say

Soooo...?

Edit: Like your pointing out the very obvious for no apparent reason and commenting on my post specifically I thought maybe you had something else to say

I'd ssy you'd want to get out more often if my post is bothering you that much..
    "commenting on my post specifically '..
    Don't worry, i won't comment on anything else that you post anymore.. Is that okay with you

Jesus the qualifiers will be intense with Galway joining

So one of Antrim, Laois, Galway and Wexford in 2 weeks in the first round of the qualifiers

Be hoping for the winners of the PR between Laois and Antrim. Galway or Wexford would be tricky as ever and wouldn't fancy our chances going by last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

So one of Antrim, Laois, Galway and Wexford in 2 weeks in the first round of the qualifiers

Be hoping for the winners of the PR between Laois and Antrim. Galway or Wexford would be tricky as ever and wouldn't fancy our chances going by last weekend

Have you ever fancied our chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Have you ever fancied our chances?

In fairness he's right this time, Cork and the losers of Tipp/Clare then in the second round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

JeffKenna wrote: »
    In fairness he's right this time, Cork and the losers of Tipp/Clare then in the second round.

We’ll probably struggle against cork plus tipp/Clare in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Be hoping for the winners of the PR between Laois and Antrim. Galway or Wexford would be tricky as ever and wouldn't fancy our chances going by last weekend[/QUOTE]

Wait for the draw before having a meltdown.

I think Galway might be more trickier than the rest. Very flat performance by Galway today ; shades of Waterford last weekend.

Keeping injuries to a minimum will be the key with such a packed schedule ; we’ve had our fair share already. I see that the Dublin full back (one of the best around) went off injured today as did Monaghan’s marquee forward (Conor McManus).

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

If you want to win an all Ireland you need to be beating good teams can't play Antrim every week

When is the draw for the Qualifiers being made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

When is the draw for the Qualifiers being made

Next Monday morning after the Antrim v Laois game

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Next Monday morning after the Antrim v Laois game

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Punt Road

BUMP!

Punt Road wrote: »
    Anyone Listen to Anthony Daly's examiner podcast with Fergal Horgan yet?
    I cant help but feel the new Sin bin ruling is set up to be a absolute disaster.....

So a Sin Bin can only be given 'if a player with a goal-scoring opportunity either inside the 20-metre line or the semi-circular arc that extends from the 20 meter line is pulled down, tripped, or struck with a hurley in a careless manner then a penalty shall be awarded and the offender will be yellow-carded and sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes"

Firstly there's no new card colour. If there's a foul warranting a sin bin it will be signified by a penalty and a yellow card. [There is no black card or special referee signal to highlight the sin bin itself]. Confusion could arise if a fella gives away a penalty that warrants a yellow card but was not a sin bin offence as described above. Maybe a small enough issue as we'll soon see the player trotting off the field but something that could've been avoided maybe.

With regards a sin bin foul [which incurs a sin bin, a yellow card and a penalty]

- Its up to the ref alone to assess if there's a goal scoring opportunity. It doesn't need to be 'clear and obvious' according to Horgan and thats a minefield. God help referees. Each Sin Bin decision will be dissected to death on Sunday game / social media/ Monday papers. The factors at play in this part of the decision alone is countless. Some will be clear cut granted.

- If A fella commits one of these sin bin fouls [in bold above] right out near the sideline then a sin bin can be awarded if the ref deems a goal is on. Horgan said in the podcast "why would defender commit one of these fouls out there if he thought a goal wasn't on" and therefore he would award the Sin bin. A crazy comment to make.

- Finally and this is the most important one I think.... if a fella is bearing down on goal, is within the 21 a defender can grab his jersey and pull him back and not incur a sin bin. He will of course incur a yellow card and if in the square a penalty but not a sin bin as he didn't commit a foul highlighted in bold above i.e. pull him down. Two things spring to mind now. Defender will try perfect the jersey pulling art form now as their "last chance saloon tackle" and worst of all.....forwards will, on feeling a jersey tug, go to ground like a sack of spuds giving the referee the chance to interpret that he was "pulled down" rather than a jersey tug i.e. a sin binning instead of a traditional yellow + free/ penalty.

I hope I'm wrong but I think a few big decisions will be centered around this new ruling this year...

Punt Road wrote: »
    BUMP!

On the topic of penalties, would I be correct in saying the last one we were awarded in championship was against Clare in 2012?

On the topic of penalties, would I be correct in saying the last one we were awarded in championship was against Clare in 2012?

Think we got one against Wexford in 2014 in the Qualifier in Nowlan Park which we which lost

• Advertisement

Think we got one against Wexford in 2014 in the Qualifier in Nowlan Park which we which lost

I forgot that one, I think we missed one that day alright

Advertisement