Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

On the topic of penalties, would I be correct in saying the last one we were awarded in championship was against Clare in 2012?

Didn't we get one in a qualifier against Dublin about 5 years ago . The day Maurice and Liam rushe had a Barney . I think Shane Bennet took it but I could be dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

So it looks like it'll be either Antrim/Laois, Wexford or Galway in the first round of the qualifiers next weekend. Some dose to get drawn against Galway, I'm sure they'd be hoping to avoid us as much as we'd hope to avoid them. Then again, Wexford wouldn't be any way easy either so it's pretty much a minefield at this stage.
    Any word on Prunty or Barron's injuries and how likely it would be either of them will make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/all-ireland-fixtures-throw-in-times-confirmed-for-leinster-and-munster-hurling-finals-1.4611936?mode=amp

'Antrim or Laois will be drawn against one of the Munster teams, which must include Waterford as a defeated quarter-finalist. Either Galway or Wexford will be drawn against Clare or Cork. The two teams left over, which will be from the group Galway, Wexford, Clare and Cork, will get a bye to the second round'

A bit confusing now with this explanation but would be happy if that's the case and it's us against the winners of Antrim vs Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

'Antrim or Laois will be drawn against one of the Munster teams, which must include Waterford as a defeated quarter-finalist. Either Galway or Wexford will be drawn against Clare or Cork. The two teams left over, which will be from the group Galway, Wexford, Clare and Cork, will get a bye to the second round'

A bit confusing now with this explanation but would be happy if that's the case and it's us against the winners of Antrim vs Laois[/QUOTE]

It is certainly is confusing. Waterford can't get a buy so they play the winner of Laois/Antrim .... Two of the remaining four teams get a bye ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I find it confusing, so do we play Antrim or laois then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I find it confusing, so do we play Antrim or laois then ?

No. My understanding is that Antrim play Laois first in a preliminary round, and then the 4 teams below go into a pot to play each other (assuming previous ties can't be repeated) . The draw is next Monday morning.

Wexford
    Galway
    Waterford
    Antrim /Laois

That's my understanding

Then the 2 teams left standing out of this will play Clare or Cork and there will be another draw to see who plays who.

If that's wrong let me know

Deskjockey wrote: »
    No. My understanding is that Antrim play Laois first in a preliminary round, and then the 4 teams below go into a pot to play each other (assuming previous ties can't be repeated) . The draw is next Monday morning.

Wexford
    Galway
    Waterford
    Antrim /Laois

That's my understanding

Then the 2 teams left standing out of this will play Clare or Cork and there will be another draw to see who plays who.

If that's wrong let me know

Its this format AFAIK

'One of Clare or Cork will receive a bye to round 2

One of Wexford or Galway will receive a bye to Round 2

Round 1
    Bowl 1 will be the winner of Laois/Antrim and Wexford or Galway
    Vs
    Bowl 2- Waterford and Clare or Cork

Round 2 will contain the 2 Round 1 winners and then 2 teams that got the byes (draw if there's no repeat matches ie Waterford vs Clare, Wexford vs Laois

Dublin/Kilkenny and Tipperary/Limerick guaranteed at least a QF'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Cake Man wrote: »
    So it looks like it'll be either Antrim/Laois, Wexford or Galway in the first round of the qualifiers next weekend. Some dose to get drawn against Galway, I'm sure they'd be hoping to avoid us as much as we'd hope to avoid them. Then again, Wexford wouldn't be any way easy either so it's pretty much a minefield at this stage.
    Any word on Prunty or Barron's injuries and how likely it would be either of them will make it?

They were back running at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its this format AFAIK

'One of Clare or Cork will receive a bye to round 2

One of Wexford or Galway will receive a bye to Round 2

Round 1
    Bowl 1 will be the winner of Laois/Antrim and Wexford or Galway
    Vs
    Bowl 2- Waterford and Clare or Cork

Round 2 will contain the 2 Round 1 winners and then 2 teams that got the byes (draw if there's no repeat matches ie Waterford vs Clare, Wexford vs Laois

Dublin/Kilkenny and Tipperary/Limerick guaranteed at least a QF'

Why do Cork get a bye?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

carter10 wrote: »
    Why do Cork get a bye?

They got to the semi final.

• Advertisement

carter10 wrote: »
    Why do Cork get a bye?

One of the beaten Munster semi finalists will get a bye into round 2 and that will be either Cork or Clare.

One of Wexford and Galway will also get a bye into Round 2

It really only takes one article to confuse the whole bloody thing. At least the draw will be made this time next week (Could easily of done it already buts that GAA)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

I kinda think the different rules for going out in the quarters or the semis is a bit stupid. Cork are in the same round as Waterford having played and lost the same number of games but can potentially skip the round because they were lucky enough to be drawn in a semi. Clare at least won the quarterfinal to get to the semi so I think it should just be them getting the bye having played two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I kinda think the different rules for going out in the quarters or the semis is a bit stupid. Cork are in the same round as Waterford having played and lost the same number of games but can potentially skip the round because they were lucky enough to be drawn in a semi. Clare at least won the quarterfinal to get to the semi so I think it should just be them getting the bye having played two games.

Agreed, don’t understand why Cork would get a bye other than they’re Cork. Clare and Wexford should get a bye as they won their quarter finals, then an open draw amongst the other 4

Would agree with that too, Clare could find themselves in an even worse position than ourselves despite beating us. If they were drawn to play Galway while we got Antrim/Laois and Cork/Wexford getting bye's, I'm sure they'd be raging. Maybe a rule that 1/4 final winners would get the bye to the second qualifier round if they are eliminated from their provincial semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Clare 1-22 Waterford 0-21

In trying to unravel the possible causes behind Waterford’s shocking (and completely unexpected) performance against Clare, I have put my finger on two likely key contributory factors. One was a very flat performance by most of the team. The second is that Waterford were very badly thrown by the way Clare set up for the game and never came to grips with it.

These two factors may be interrelated. On a day when Waterford needed some clear thinking to work their way around the Clare setup, their heads were all over the place. This was most apparent in terms of simple execution: 14 attempted hand and stick passes went astray; the ball was lost in contact ten times; nine long balls were sent straight to unmarked Clare players (seven to John Conlon alone, who seemed to be equipped with a sliotar magnet); Clare scored five points from very soft frees conceded by Waterford; at least nine Waterford shots were sent badly wide, while two easy scoring chances were passed up due to underhit shots.

With their minds in such a mess, it is not surprising that the Waterford players were unable to figure out how to deal with the Clare defensive setup. Brian Lohan had seen how Waterford had used their pace to run through the Tipperary defence and create numerous openings for the inside line in their last league game. To counter this, he brought Cathal Malone (selected at midfield) and Ryan Taylor (selected at wing forward) deep into defence, where they were frequently joined by Ian Galvin (selected at corner forward).

This packed defence meant that running at the Clare defence, and sending long balls into the forwards, were both likely to yield limited results. Yet Waterford persisted with these tactics virtually from start to finish. The obvious tactical response was to move Waterford’s best long-distance shooters (Calum Lyons, Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett) to the midfield area and work the ball out to them from the back.

This was made all the easier by the fact that Waterford had surplus players in their half of the field. On top of that, Waterford were effectively forced into relying on a short puckout strategy due to their inability to win their own long puckouts: out of 17 long puckouts, Waterford won just four. This was hardly surprising given the packed Clare defence. As a result, no less than 27 of Waterford’s puckouts went short, which must be an historical record for a Waterford team (this mainly accounts for the high possession counts for Shane Fives and Shane McNulty).

The problem here was that, unlike most of the other top county teams, Waterford have no worked-out system for working short puckouts up the field. Another weakness of the way Waterford play under Liam Cahill which has been noted here before is a tendency to play in straight lines rather than look laterally for unmarked team mates. Thus, a short Waterford puckout was usually hit to a corner back who, in turn, either hit a long ball up the line or diagonally across the field, or else tried a long stick pass to a player in the midfield area which either went astray or was directed to a closely-marked team mate. I noted no less than 16 instances where a long ball was played out of the Waterford defence when there was at least one free player available inside the player in question to whom a simple pass could have been given.

A particularly worrying feature of all this was the failure of Liam Cahill and Mikey Bevans to make any effective changes (that I could see) to the team’s game plan, which clearly was not working. Waterford’s problems, of course, were further compounded by Cahill’s crazy decision to assign the job of marking Tony Kelly to Calum Lyons. Thus, on a day when Waterford desperately needed Lyons’s ability to win ball and shoot for scores from midfield, Lyons spent most of the game chasing after Kelly in the Waterford full-back line. He got just two possessions in the first half, one from a short puckout and the other from a pass following a short puckout. What a waste of a player of his calibre!

I was absolutely astonished that, with Waterford nine points down at half time and desperately needing some extra firepower (Stephen Bennett was the only Waterford forward to score in the first half), Lyons continued in his man-marking role when the second half restarted. It is notable that Waterford’s late resurgence largely coincided with Lyons finally being released out the field, with Conor Gleeson being assigned the role of marking Kelly (a role which he should have had from the start).

I was further appalled when, in his after-match interview, Liam Cahill attributed blame for the defeat to certain (unnamed) players who failed to deliver, rather than accepting any of the blame himself. When one or two players underperform, there may be some case for focusing on them, but when the team as a collective underperforms, then the focus has to shift to the management. A feature of Cahill’s career in team management has been the great fighting spirit he has imbued in his players. When he failed to do this, as happened against Clare, then surely he has to accept responsibility. This is on top of his failure to make changes to a game plan that clearly was not working.

One would expect that any manager who has All-Ireland winning ambitions would not be setting up his team to counter the opposition. Sacrificing one of his key players in a futile attempt to curb an opposing forward reminded me of the bad old days of Waterford hurling when the selectors used to routinely put their best player marking the opposition’s best player. This usually had the effect of taking the Waterford player out of the game completely, while doing little to curb the player he was marking. Despite all the injuries, Waterford were still able to put a strong team on the field against Clare, with a half-back line as good as any in the country. In the circumstances, assigning Lyons to mark Kelly revealed an element of negativity on Cahill’s part which may have seeped into the collective team mentality of the team, thereby contributing to their flat performance.

That said, it must be acknowledged that not all the players failed to deliver on the day. Austin Gleeson had an excellent game, and showed great leadership in particular in the second half. Iarlaith Daly also had a good game. He takes up good positions to give players in possession a passing outlet, and redistributes the ball very effectively. Unfortunately, the style of play favoured by Cahill makes little use of these qualities. Stephen Bennett also made good use of limited possession. The substitutes all had an impact.

The good news is that this flat performance is likely to have been on one-off event which was completely at odds with the high level of performance displayed by Waterford since Liam Cahill took over. Hopefully, Cahill will learn from the experience and emerge from it as a better manager. I am reminded of Waterford’s no-show in the 2004 National Hurling League final against Galway which was followed by a blistering performance which blew Clare away a week later in the first round of the Munster championship. Two years later, Waterford were desperately poor in their first championship game against Tipperary and ended up losing an All-Ireland semi-final by an agonising single point (having beaten Tipp in the quarter-final). Or how about 2011, when Waterford lost the Munster final by seven goals and then played Galway off the pitch two weeks later?

Waterford are not the only top team that can have an off-day, as Galway showed against Dublin last Saturday. Their presence will make the qualifiers even more of a bearpit than it normally is, but I expect to see a very different Waterford team on their next day out.

Waterford possession counts: Billy Nolan (6); Conor Gleeson (7), Shane Fives (16), Shane McNulty (12); Calum Lyons (10), Iarlaith Daly (18), Austin Gleeson (15); Kevin Moran (2), Darragh Lyons (11); Peter Hogan (10), Jack Fagan (3), Stephen Bennett (8); Dessie Hutchinson (2), Shane Bennett (6), Jack Prendergast (8); Kieran Bennett (5), Billy Power (3), Neil Montgomery (4), Patrick Curran (4), Mikey Kearney (1).

Good to be back !

It's going to be sweltering in Nowlan Park this Saturday ... hoping to pick up a ticket from my club.

Disappointing outcome to the U20 match during the week, especially as we were leading by 4 points in the first period of extra time. Tipp seemed to be more clinical plus they had a very good long distance free taker. Waterford looked brilliant at times but then mixed that with lots of aimless passing and shot selection ; they gifted Tipp about 1-3 from short passes that were intercepted. Surely, the best plan would have been to feed Kiely at every opportunity but how may passes came his way. Pity about Fives picking up a knock early on ; Daly at number 2 looks like an excellent prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Good to be back!

A pity the u20s couldn't close it out when they went 4 points up in extra time the other night as they seemed to have all the ball at that stage. The concession of that goal following a short puck out was a killer blow.

The corner back for Waterford looked like a great prospect, he had a great game.

It worked out very nicely for us by drawing Laois to be fair. With all due respect to them we should have too much for them and hopefully if Prunty and Barron are available, it’ll give them the chance to get 70mins under their belts. If both or either of them don’t make it, they should still have another 7 or 8 days to be fit for a do-or-die clash against Galway or Cork. Any word on their fitness status and any other injury concerns?

Should be a good opportunity for the forwards to put up a good score and find the back of the net a few times again.

Disappointing result for the U20’s during the week, I didn’t see it but by all accounts should have pushed on after being 4 up but somehow found ourselves 4 down in injury time before hitting 1-1 to tie it up. Sounds like the lads ran out of steam in ET, many similar comparisons with the game v Tipp last December. As mentioned above, at least it looks like there’s a few good lads with plenty of potential to come through.

Great to be back

Impressive performance by the under 20 hurlers the other night. Such a pity we didn't win, few promising prospects on that team and hoepfully they will make the step up to Senior

Well done to the under 20 footballers on there win against Clare. They play Tipperary tonight in the semi final best of luck to them

The GAA made some balls of explaing the qualifiers draw. Sunday we were told we could only draw Wexford or Galway and not Laois but come Monday we draw them. Overall happy with the draw but we must respect them as they beat Dublin a few years ago and ran Clare close last year. With the nice weather predicted for Saturday it would be great to hammer them and get the Clare loss out of our system. Luckily got tickets and can't wait to go back to a match. Hoepfully some will go on general sale. That 500 max was some farce

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Best of luck to the Waterford U20s against Tipperary tonight. A super win last week beating a much fancied Clare team. Manager Gavin Whelan is working miracles having been in charge of a minor football team that claimed a similar scalp a couple of years ago.

The U20 hurling loss against Tipp on Monday was extremely frustrating. I felt we were by far the better team but some of the tactics were head scratching and Manager Stephen Gough needs to take some flack here. Completely overdoing the short passing and running game in the wrong areas. In Kiely we had the best forward on the pitch but he was starved of possession. 4 years in charge of the Minor and U20 hurlers and not a single win to show for it.

• Advertisement

Thanks ! Just bought 2 tickets.

Lunch in Langtons, stroll up to the ground c.1.30 pm. What more could you ask for.

Yeah its great to be going back to matches

Going to be a very warm day too

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Team for tomorrow

Edit: the scteenshot didnt bed in to the comment quite how i had expected!

Great to see Prunty back with Jamie Barron on the bench

Let's hope we play to our potential and win by a good bit.

Laois are no pushovers tbh and ran Clare very close last year and beat Dublin a few years ago

No big surprises with team selection ; basically swapping around of the panel, e.g Curran starting .... Hogan, Daragh Lyons in the subs ... O'Brien in for Billy Nolan. Interesting to see Dillon & Dunford on the bench ; must be showing something in training. Hopefully, get through tomorrow without any injuries and then it's dog eat dog.

• Advertisement

Advertisement