Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

S. Bennett starts, as does Jake Dillon. No Darragh Fives.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Looks a decent team ,roll on Saturday

Snr Hurling Wat v.Cork
    1 S O'Keeffe
    2 S Fives
    3 C Prunty
    4 S McNulty
    5 C Lyons
    6 T De Burca
    7 A Gleeson
    8 J Barron
    9 J Dillon
    10 K Moran
    11 J Fagan
    12 K Bennett
    13 D Hutchinson
    14 S Bennett
    15 J Prendergast

Thanks. You just beat me with your post !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Decent team on paper a bit of a shock with Jake Dillion and Jack Fagan starting. Good to see Dessie Hutch start

Bench is a little weak but a few good options like Curran, Darragh Lyons

Overall a few new names in the squad which is good

Roll on Saturday :D

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Looks a decent team ,roll on Saturday

Weather forecast is brutal ; could make a lottery of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Snr Hurling Wat v.Cork
    1 S O'Keeffe
    2 S Fives
    3 C Prunty
    4 S McNulty
    5 C Lyons
    6 T De Burca
    7 A Gleeson
    8 J Barron
    9 J Dillon
    10 K Moran
    11 J Fagan
    12 K Bennett
    13 D Hutchinson
    14 S Bennett
    15 J Prendergast

Could see Moran & Gleeson switch with also the option of Bennett moving back if necessary. No Daly on the panel, is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Bench:

Billy Nolan
    Ian Kenny
    Mark O'Brien
    Mikey Kearney
    Patrick Curran
    Billy Power (Clonea)
    Ciaran Kirwin (Kill)
    Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    Neil Montgomery (Abbeyside)
    Shane Ryan (FourMile)
    Kieren Power (Dungarvan)

Bench:

Billy Nolan
    Ian Kenny
    Mark O'Brien
    Mikey Kearney
    Patrick Curran
    Billy Power (Clonea)
    Ciaran Kirwin (Kill)
    Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    Neil Montgomery (Abbeyside)
    Shane Ryan (FourMile)
    Kieren Power (Dungarvan)

good too see new names on both the starting 15 and the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Decent team on paper a bit of a shock with Jake Dillion and Jack Fagan starting. Good to see Dessie Hutch start

Hardly a shock Fagan is starting in fairness, surprised to see Dillon alright. Wouldn't fancy him midfield at all, might switch with K Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

good too see new names on both the starting 15 and the bench

How is it good exactly can you tell me? No issue with starting 15 but God help us tonight there's fellas on the subs bench there that would barley make a good senior club team.

Seeing new names all well and good but they have to be up to the standard required. This isn't national league at the weekend it's championship hurling. Serious question marks have to asked of the management team as to how we are into championship now and this is the depth of our panel.. looking at the list of substitutes available to us at the weekend I would say it's much easier to name a full set of subs that are not on the panel for one reason or the other that would be far better options for the game at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

How is it good exactly can you tell me? No issue with starting 15 but God help us tonight there's fellas on the subs bench there that would barley make a good senior club team.

While the bench isn't that strong, who do you think should be on it ? There are a few injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Hardly a shock Fagan is starting in fairness, surprised to see Dillon alright. Wouldn't fancy him midfield at all, might switch with K Bennett

Dillon has been showing very well in training and challenge matches

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Jesus, going back to fellas who weren't up to it 5 years ago!

Team isn't world's a part from that which beat Cork in 2017, nor will Corks be:

WATERFORD: Stephen O’Keeffe; Shane Fives, Barry Coughlan, Noel Connors; Kieran Bennett, Philip Mahony, Conor Gleeson; Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran; Michael Walsh, Pauric Mahony, Austin Gleeson; Shane Bennett, Jake Dillon, Darragh Fives

CORK: Anthony Nash; Stephen McDonnell, Damien Cahalane, Colm Spillane; Christopher Joyce, Mark Ellis, Mark Coleman; Bill Cooper, Darragh Fitzgibbon; Seamus Harnedy, Conor Lehane, Shane Kingston; Alan Cadogan, Patrick Horgan, Luke Meade

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I rate Fagan, great paw and well able to score. Great attitude.

Dillon has been tried and tested alright but Cahill wouldn't pick a lad who wasn't producing the goods in challenge matches and training.

Cahill seems to have his teams fired up, so lets hope Cork get hit like a train Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PF28

Team isn't world's a part from that which beat Cork in 2017, nor will Corks be:

WATERFORD: Stephen O’Keeffe; Shane Fives, Barry Coughlan, Noel Connors; Kieran Bennett, Philip Mahony, Conor Gleeson; Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran; Michael Walsh, Pauric Mahony, Austin Gleeson; Shane Bennett, Jake Dillon, Darragh Fives

CORK: Anthony Nash; Stephen McDonnell, Damien Cahalane, Colm Spillane; Christopher Joyce, Mark Ellis, Mark Coleman; Bill Cooper, Darragh Fitzgibbon; Seamus Harnedy, Conor Lehane, Shane Kingston; Alan Cadogan, Patrick Horgan, Luke Meade

With more than 50% of a change from 2017 team I would more suggest it is worlds apart.
    I'm predicting cork will have fewer changes.

Jack Fagan is not a shock at all. He's played every game under Cahill. And he's performed. And who else is there to start in place of him.

PF28 wrote: »
    With more than 50% of a change from 2017 team I would more suggest it is worlds apart.
    I'm predicting cork will have fewer changes.

I mean more in terms of how they stack up to them to be honest.

Loss of two Mahonys, C Gleeson, Brick, Shane Bennett and D Fives sure

Sub in Tadhg Bourke, Prunty, Hutchison, Stephen Bennett, Calum Lyons it doesn't look too bad at all to me.

And Jack Prender + Jack Fagan haven't had enough game time to make a judgement one way or another I would say, deserve the benefit of managements judgement.

Bench probably does look a bit light but I wouldn't be too downbeat about this. It's not gonna happen overnight but they can start the march towards turning the ship around.

I mean more in terms of how they stack up to them to be honest.

Loss of two Mahonys, C Gleeson, Brick, Shane Bennett and D Fives sure

Sub in Tadhg Bourke, Prunty, Hutchison, Stephen Bennett, Calum Lyons it doesn't look too bad at all to me.

And Jack Prender + Jack Fagan haven't had enough game time to make a judgement one way or another I would say, deserve the benefit of managements judgement.

Bench probably does look a bit light but I wouldn't be too downbeat about this. It's not gonna happen overnight but they can start the march towards turning the ship around.

Very good point yes. Pity about the bench though. I would imagine comparing 2020 bench to 2017 bench would weigh heavily in favour of 2017.
    On another note, Daragh Fives has to be the unluckiest longest serving intercounty player by now. He had even been playing in all the recent challenge games.
    Anyone have any idea what the injury (presuming it is injury) is this time or is it the usual calf?

Must be some sort of record

Dessie Hutchinson played Championship soccer with Waterford FC, Championship football with Waterford and now championship Hurling

Some going for the guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Given Ballygunner's absolute dominance of the club championship over the past few years, is it a bit surprising that their representation on the team/panel is so low, even accounting for the injuries (and Philip Mahoney retiring from IC Hurling)? One outfield starter?

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Given Ballygunner's absolute dominance of the club championship over the past few years, is it a bit surprising that their representation on the team/panel is so low, even accounting for the injuries (and Philip Mahoney retiring from IC Hurling)? One outfield starter?

Yeah a bit surprising, Connor Sheahan and Peter Hogan in the panel but didn't make the 26. Ian Kenny on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deskjockey wrote: »
    ]

Not really, they are a fantastic team and panel, full of lads that have played minor and U21 for the county, but not necessarily full of star individuals. Outside of The Mahonys, Dessie Hutch and SOK there’s not really anyone else you’d put into the co senior team

Jack Prendergast (along with Prunty and Callum Lyons) was one of our best players last year. Most people have probably deleted last year from their memory though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Seeing new names all well and good but they have to be up to the standard required. This isn't national league at the weekend it's championship hurling. Serious question marks have to asked of the management team as to how we are into championship now and this is the depth of our panel.. looking at the list of substitutes available to us at the weekend I would say it's much easier to name a full set of subs that are not on the panel for one reason or the other that would be far better options for the game at the weekend.

What questions would they be?

Genuinely intrigued as to what you think Cahill et al could have done? Find a vaccine for COVID? Clone a few players? Cure all injuries and create ever lasting youth for those wanting to retire??

Who do you all think we're missing that could have been considered to be on the team/bench?

Apart from Maurice and Connors,

Mahony (injured)
    Conor Gleeson (injured)
    Darragh Fives (injured)

Iarlaith Daly?
    Michael Kiely?
    Peter Hogan?
    Conor Sheehan?
    Stephen Roche?

Retired?
    Philip Mahony
    Shane Bennett
    Tommy Ryan

It's so long since we've had a competitive match, I'm going blank but feel there's a few names missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Who do you all think we're missing that could have been considered to be on the team/bench?

Apart from Maurice and Connors,

Mahony (injured)
    Conor Gleeson (injured)
    Darragh Fives (injured)

Iarlaith Daly?
    Michael Kiely?
    Peter Hogan?
    Conor Sheehan?
    Stephen Roche?

Retired?
    Philip Mahony
    Shane Bennett
    Tommy Ryan

It's so long since we've had a competitive match, I'm going blank but feel there's a few names missing?

I'd have Paddy Leavy ahead of at least three players on that bench. I'm assuming that DJ Foran and Colm Roche are both injured as well. Even though I don't think he's ever been involved at senior level for the hurling team I'd suggest Mark Ferncombe would even offer more than some on that bench would.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Where is Colin Dunford these days ?

I'd have Paddy Leavy ahead of at least three players on that bench. I'm assuming that DJ Foran and Colm Roche are both injured as well. Even though I don't think he's ever been involved at senior level for the hurling team I'd suggest Mark Ferncombe would even offer more than some on that bench would.

Yeah Paddy Leavy was really good this year actually. Didn't impress me as a Waterford minor (remember his goose step free taking?!!) Possibly a bit light for intercounty physicality yet maybe but one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Agree re Paddy Leavy- really surprised he's not on the panel let alone the team. Really intelligent player whos link play would definitely benefit the team. Considering the possession/movement game most teams are trying to play now i'd have thought he would have been one of the first names on the list.

Advertisement