Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

He must be injured I'd say.

Interesting to see Moran back at wing back again after being hauled off early the last day. Didn't look injured going off. Also it's clear that Cahill really likes Monty! Let's hope he puts in a great shift. Good to see Curran getting a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

People talking about us hammering Laois, personally just want to see us get over the line with a decent performance to set us up nicely for Cork / Galway the following week. There’s bound to be a kickback from the Clare defeat and it’s better to unload that on a Cork or Galway than Laois.

Im surprised a couple more of the U20s haven’t been brought in. It could have been a great opportunity for Kiely to step up to the plate this weekend although he is on the bench. It’s still pretty much the same forward line that didn’t show up against Clare, with Curran in.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Could be Wexford too if they win I think. But I agree with your sentiment if we could get through the weekend without any injuries or suspensions I'd take it anyway. I'd expect Laois to play with two sweepers tomorrow so it will be congested if they do.

I wonder did the extra time on Monday go against Kiely?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Surely changing the goalie mid championship is a significant surprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

That’s a surprise to me. I can’t remember Nolan doing much wrong against Clare and the range of his puck outs are as big a weapon as any other keeper in the game. Either he’s carrying an injury or Cahill has decided he doesn’t fancy him for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Kieran Bennett picked up a knock in training. Out for 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to the team and management today

Up the Déise

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Come on the deise

Feels great to be back on the road again

Flat enough performance so far, scoreline a bit flattering

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Straightforward enough so far:) Doing all they need to do happy enough with it so far

• Advertisement

under serious pressure here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Very lucky to come out of that. Hard to see a victory against Cork or Galway I'm afraid.

I suppose he played the extra time game with the under 20s

Too close for comfort and very hard to see us beating Galway or Cork on that performance

The Laois goalkeeper has some puck out and it troubled us, as did there number 20

Not the most convincing win. I thought Aussie lifted the team at vital moments. No idea what’s going on in midfield. Patrick Curran was playing midfield? . It seemed Ike Cahill did a lot of experimenting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Great leadership shown by Ozzie. Pivotal moment was when we were denied a perfectly good goal to concede one from the free- huge swing and gave Laois a huge boost.

Kiely was good when he came on and I would expect he'd start over Hutcheson the next day.

Kiely may start but I'd say Fagan is the one under pressure. Agree on Austin, stood up when needed.

Id prefer Cork over Galway but tbh its going to be tough eitherway and if we play like we did today it wont be a nice day for us

I wonder will it be a double header in Thurles or Croke Park next Saturday or will they break the games up again. Can see them putting us in Limerick if we draw Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Think we could be looking at Croke Park next Saturday. We’ll have to step up big time from today’s game.

A double header in Croker would be great and there would be no issues with tickets etc. No matches fixed there for Next Saturday afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

That was way to close for comfort. Ozzie stood up when needed in last 10 minutes. Kiely made big difference when he came on. Wide count was very high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Listened to it on the radio yesterday. Macdara saying complacency nearly cost us..

Big job for us next week..

Does anyone know why Caolan McCraith wasn't involved with the under 20 team?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

From today's sporting headlines:

Sunday Independent:

"Curran's goal vital as Déise struggle to subdue Laois"

Sunday Times:

"Waterford ease into next round despite Laois fightback"

Guess which reporter spent too much time in the sun yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭deisedude

I lost count of the amount of times Kieran O'Connor on WLR referred to Laois as Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

So who are you hoping to get in the draw in the morning?? I'd probably prefer a cut off Cork rather than Galway.. Although both counties will probably fancy their chances against us after our performance yesterday

Prefer Cork as it will be played in Thurles

If we draw Galway it could be in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. A graveyard for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would prefer Cork too, not that it would be easy but Galway you'd feel just had an off day against Dublin and will be keen to put that right. Cork losing to Limerick wouldn't have been surprising so they'd find themselves where they probably thought they'd be anyway. Either way I'm sure both would maybe prefer to draw us, after the weekends results. We'll probably end up getting Galway given the fortunate draw to get Laois last week.

Have rarely been so disheartened after a win the weekend. I feared when Laois got a point ahead with ten mins to go we were in for the biggest upset loss since Kerry in '93. I'll mention that the heat may have been a factor on Saturday and given we play a high energy running game it would've been gruelling conditions. That may have been why we played so many long balls as I don't recall many, if any, short puckouts by Shaun O'Brien.

That's two fairly flat performances in a row now and wouldn't inspire much confidence of toppling Cork/Galway next weekend. The things we did well last year just don't seem to be there at all this championship at least. I'm sure we'll go in as underdogs against Cork/Galway and our AI chances written off so may not be a bad thing. A much improved performance needed this weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Galway it is

• Advertisement

Advertisement