Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

1966 against...Galway. We're P6 W0 D1 L5 since then, but I don't think that tells us much since the sample size is so small. I don't recall anyone fretting about playing Laois in Nowlan Park where we were 0-for-2 prior to Saturday. If you're interested in this kind of thing, send me an email at deiseach@gmail.com and I'll send you a spreadsheet with all our results in various competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

To be fair, apart from an away game against Limerick in a league match, we have literally no reason to ever need to play up there. Games vs. Cork, Clare, Limerick (championship), Galway, Kilkenny, Wexford, Offaly, Dublin would generally all be in Thurles (with Portlaoise or Nowlan Park options for the latter three). Games against Tipp would/should always be in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Lads what’s the feeling around this for the weekend?

Galway will go in strong enough favourites and off the back of a shock defeat to Dublin it’s hard to see how they’ll come into this anyway complacent. I think we’ll see a much improved performance ourselves but we haven’t been consistent enough this year to really go in expecting a win. Yes history is on our side against Galway, but it dosent mean much when this year we’ve been hitting a lot of wides and making a lot of basic errors in every game. I also think there’s been a lot of strange management decisions particularly around sporadic team selections and I’m surprised that more supporters aren’t calling it out.

I think it’s 1 of either 2 things that a) Cahill has lost faith in the group and doesn't quite know what his best team is anymore, or b) this is second year into a 3 year plan where next year he’ll hope to have settled on a side to really challenge for the All Ireland again with the likes of TDB and Pauric Mahony back on board.

personally I’m going into this one with more hope than expectation but hoping for a massive performance that may get us over the line and into a quarter final

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

• Advertisement

Not confident at all tbh, without doing a PTH2009 on it but I've resigned myself to the thought that our year will be over after Saturday which will be hugely disappointing given how last year went as well as some great league performances/results this year. I'm sure I'll be hounded for being so negative and will happily eat my words if we win but I just haven't seen enough in the last two games to suggest we can somehow flick a switch and play how we did against Limerick and Tipp in the league, for example. Galway will be out for blood and I'd still see them as Limerick's biggest threat for the AI. They'd have a higher ceiling than us and if they were to even play reasonably well they'd likely do enough to turn us over.

Agree with the post above too, there's surely questions over Cahill knowing what his best team is and what the thinking was behind some strange decisions at the weekend. Particularly dropping your first choice keeper which is usually the kind of thing tried out in the league. Surely it's preferable to have a settled team mid championship and build from there.

Either that or the experimentation was deliberate - Cahill assuming it would be a handy win (to be fair Wexford crushed the same opposition by 20pts just last month) and using the game as a "free" opportunity to try out a few new things as well as trying to conserve the most amount of energy for this weekend. I can only hope the above was the case and a few things learned ahead of Saturday.

If there are a few things that go in our favour it would be that the weekends weather at least won't be like the conditions last weekend, we won't be given a chance by many so the pressure is all on Galway (who themselves haven't played in 3 weeks so will hopefully come in a bit rusty) and the hope that we're surely due a big performance. Will be going in in hope more than expectation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Cahill 3 year plan. Has he agreed to a 3rd year. Taught it was two years, hope there is a third year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Like others on this thread, I’m scratching my head with regard to recent performances.

I was in Nowlan Park ; even when Laois took the lead, I wasn’t worried at all (against Galway, that would be a different feeling).

I hope Cahill has a few cards up his sleeve !

I know Patrick Curran is an “assassin”, to quote one eminent poster here and the latter would prefer to see him in the full forward line. I think he can operate effectively from number 8 up ; at the start against Laois he scored two points in the blink of an eye last from midfield, while popping up to score a goal later on (expertly set up by Aussie). Personally, I think Shane Bennett ‘could also do a job’ in midfield too.

Anyway, roll on Saturday. Unfortunately, I’m over in the sun soaked West of Ireland for a few more days and will have to observe affairs from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/07/20/were-thrilled-to-still-be-in-the-championship/

“We’re thrilled to still be in the championship”

please god let this be shadowboxing

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/tomasmcc/status/1417914636863774728

500 fans for Saturday's All Ireland SHC Round 2 qualifiers @wlrfm

@WaterfordSport

7:29 PM · Jul 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

For the love of the god what do they be thinking sometimes

Surely has to be changed like last week and a fee thousand left in.

oof

Yep feel sorry for the players and management. No way do they deserve that kind of beating

yes and no,we should just do the kk and give up on football, we dont have the money to invest, no one should be humiliated like that, but as a county, yes we should be getting those hidings

great comeback all the same...barely won with the 40 points

We’re talking about 16/17 year old kids here. Fair play to them for actually having the balls to go out there and have a go despite the nay-sayers and keyboard warriors. I hope they stick with it and are not scarred as they are still only kids.

The u20s had a great run a few weeks ago, I don’t remember you calling out to scrap football then.

For me the provincial system in broken, as with the senior. you should have no championship where sides that far apart in quality have to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Re the 500 attendance, the county board email references 'govt have not made a decision to grant the exemption which means that as things stand the attendance is 500'

Not making a decision is different than saying no to the exemption. Fingers crossed common sense is seen. Problem is, it's getting closer and closer to the game. The link for tickets for the laois game was only sent on Thursday of last week for the game on sat.

The county board mail finishes off saying that if the situation changes in the coming hours then clubs will be notified.

Fingers crossed it's not final.

agreed it is a mayo leitrim situation, but still, we have no business with the big ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

We are a football county :)

Ban the sport now!

• Advertisement

Hoepfully

Leaving it to the last minute is pure GAA arrogance

What? How are the GAA being arrogant here? This is a govt decision

They should of pushed the government to make a decision sooner

The fixtures were decided Monday afternoon. It's Wednesday. What do you expect?

Actually, forget it. Not getting into it.

Tbf football deosnt get a fair putting either

I remember in schools lads would be training for county minors for 2 to 3 months,whereas those on the football teqm would be called up to play a few days before hand largly based off how secondary school football teams went

Like i know lads who been asked to play senior and would be a fairly good standred,just simply dont bother (for variety of reasons)

,we might never be winning all irelands (same as the hurling🤣)but i do feel we massively under achieve too......i think with right man over em and all players playing we should be aiming for division 2

That’s funny coming coming from Tramore man, a conveyor belt of senior intercounty hurlers over the years 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Fake news ?

Say it ain’t so.

Who decided that more than 500 people in Semple Stadium is a health risk. What a load of b***ocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Iarlaith Daly a doubt for Saturday

• Advertisement

Advertisement