Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

LeGal97 wrote: »
    Absolutely 100% not true, and I am speaking as both a former HEAR student and LSI Access Student. I was told that it won't be taken into consideration when applying for firms. The whole point of it is equal opportunities and not to be treated any differently than anyone else. So why would we be looked upon any differently?

That is exactly what I am saying! I thought AC Grad was implying that DARE/HEAR students walk into training contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ACGrad2023

I am not sure if you are self aware enough to realise that you are come across as really rude. Some of the best people in my class were HEAR/DARE students and firms will definitely not recruit them just because of that.

Please also read the room ACgrad.

You clearly got word of your potential offer today, created an account and came here to gloat.

I'd like to think we are a supportive thread and that all advice can be offered in a constructive and non-derogatory way.

I have followed this thread for a number of months. I created an account today to let people know that AC had made their decisions and offers would be out soon. If I wanted to gloat I'd have posted about offers I've gotten from other firms which I didn't work for.

azee76 wrote: »
    Has anyone here applied for and obtained a training contract in third year, or heard of someone who has? From what I've seen, everyone else at the interview was in fourth year at least.

I've heard of this happening but it's very rare. I don't know anyone who it's happened to personally. People who do internships can get offers in their second year of university. If you got to the individual interview then they are interested in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lamacg95

Has anyone with a BW second round interview tomorrow received their interview details yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 azee76

Can third years apply to the Matheson Trainee Programme? I tried to get through to their graduate recruiter but had no luck.

• Advertisement

Same.

I am an Access student and have absolutely 0 personal connections that I can utilize. I have tried my best to make connections at law fairs and things but it never got me past a review of my application. For some of us, it takes more than that.

If you can't get past the application review stage then there's something wrong with your application. Either your LC points aren't high enough or your college grades aren't competitive or there's something wrong with your experience etc. Get someone to review your CV and cover letter and see if they notice anything. A 1.1 law degree will get you interviews with most the top firms without any experience or connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

ACGrad2023 wrote: »
    If you can't get past the application review stage then there's something wrong with your application. Either your LC points aren't high enough or your college grades aren't competitive or there's something wrong with your experience etc. Get someone to review your CV and cover letter and see if they notice anything. A 1.1 law degree will get you interviews with most the top firms without any experience or connections.

As I have said on this thread before, I got a 2.1 and 500 points, and I have been told by two recruiters that this ticks the main boxes. I am well aware of what is required and what is needed for interview. I was also a HEAR student. My applications have been reviewed before every submission by a friend with a TC.

My point is for some people it takes a bit of extra effort. I am actively gaining relevant experience to make up for weaker areas and ultimately, I will get a TC.

Thanks for dumbing it down for me anyway. After four years of a law degree, I think I would know the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Can third years apply to the Matheson Trainee Programme? I tried to get through to their graduate recruiter but had no luck.

I would apply for the intern programme if I were you - on account of you being in 3rd year. And just to be clear - the fact that you're getting to second round interviews already means you have a strong application and it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

jus_me wrote: »
    Has anyone heard from Hayes Solicitors or have they already interviewed

Interviews are early next week. Only heard today.

ACGrad 2023 - by soon, do you mean in the next couple days? I was told we could be left waiting for another week.

• Advertisement

I really hope soon means on Friday the latest. That's what I was told. Been waiting a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beatriz2020

Interviews are early next week. Only heard today.

Congrats! Did they call or email?

IgoPAP wrote: »
    ACGrad 2023 - by soon, do you mean in the next couple days? I was told we could be left waiting for another week.

The partner I was talking to didn't know the exact date and I wasn't too pushed. I'm sure if you send an email to HR or give them a call they'll be able to tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Congrats! Did they call or email?

They emailed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I just want to say that it's really naive and actually quite insensitive to assume that if a HEAR/DARE student is merely competent they will walk straight into a law firm. I know of several HEAR (and of course non-HEAR) students that have really high points, are averaging firsts in final year, and are still not getting offered training contracts (or even interviews) due to lack of legal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LegalEagle2023

Same.

I am an Access student and have absolutely 0 personal connections that I can utilize. I have tried my best to make connections at law fairs and things but it never got me past a review of my application. For some of us, it takes more than that.

I was the same till I joined the diversity in law group; It’s a really nice community led by trainees who set us up with workshops, events specifically for us and help with applications etc. Reach out by pm if you want any advice, I’m more than happy to help!

I am also a HEAR student and just got a TC offer from a top 5 firm. One piece of advice for applications is that don’t use your disadvantage as an excuse, use it as a strength. We are unique and still desirable irrespective of where we come from or lack of connections within the industry.

I was the same till I joined the diversity in law group; It’s a really nice community led by trainees who set us up with workshops, events specifically for us and help with applications etc. Reach out by pm if you want any advice, I’m more than happy to help!

I am also a HEAR student and just got a TC offer from a top 5 firm. One piece of advice for applications is that don’t use your disadvantage as an excuse, use it as a strength. We are unique and still desirable irrespective of where we come from or lack of connections within the industry.

Thank you for sharing this with me, it definitely makes me feel hopeful! Is this a group that you joined when in Blackhall or is it accessible to anyone?

Thank you, I will take this on board for future applications. I have always tried to view it like that. :)

Liordi wrote: »
    I just want to say that it's really naive and actually quite insensitive to assume that if a HEAR/DARE student is merely competent they will walk straight into a law firm. I know of several HEAR (and of course non-HEAR) students that have really high points, are averaging firsts in final year, and are still not getting offered training contracts (or even interviews) due to lack of legal experience.

I'll probably get attacked for this but my experience in college is that anyone with a 1.1 and good LC points will get interviews from top firms without legal experience. People have had 4 years to get legal experience and don't have an excuse for not having it but it's not a requirement to get a traineeship.

I'll probably get attacked for this but my experience in college is that anyone with a 1.1 and good LC points will get interviews from top firms without legal experience. People have had 4 years to get legal experience and don't have an excuse for not having it but it's not a requirement to get a traineeship.

If you're a college student obviously the firms don't expect legal experience. I think that's common sense. They're looking for extra-curriculars/academics. But I disagree in the sense that having internship under your belt as an undergrad is very helpful

I did an internship in the past. I know more than a few people who did legal placement and did get not a TC from it, although the majority did.

Its hard to get relevant experience when you are balancing your degree and working a part-time job to fund your studies. Unpaid experience is just not an option sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

I think most of us here have graduated/ are graduating so this advice is not really relevant.

People have very different college experiences and I don't think that should preclude them from qualifying as a solicitor.

FFS, I got two scam calls from Mali this morning. Thought it was Arthur Cox both times, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

Just got called for interview with Hayes on 1st December!

caius97 wrote: »
    Just got called for interview with Hayes on 1st December!

Congrats!

FFS, I got two scam calls from Mali this morning. Thought it was Arthur Cox both times, haha.

You can't be serious. I got a scam call this morning and the country code was Malian too XD

You can't be serious. I got a scam call this morning and the country code was Malian too XD

And it had to be at a time when we're actually expecting an important call. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

Congrats!

Thank you! If anyone has had any experience interviewing with them pls give me some tips 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

I have followed this thread for a number of months. I created an account today to let people know that AC had made their decisions and offers would be out soon. If I wanted to gloat I'd have posted about offers I've gotten from other firms which I didn't work for.

I wasn’t sure which of your posts to comment under but I have to say you are incredibly arrogant and it’s quite rich you giving application and career advice to people when you openly said you were being “looked after”. Arthur Cox will be lucky to have you haha.

I just got a call from AC and got the TC!!!

• Advertisement

I just got a call from AC and got the TC!!!

Congrats my man!

Advertisement