Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

FE1_2020_ wrote: »
    is that grant part of the law access programme ? I was under impression that it would be possible to negotiate better terms of pay considering they're receiving a grant of €17,000 could be mistaken on the figure there.

Where have you come across €12.30 per hour ?

This bit is in the "Small Practice Traineeship Grant Application":

"If granted, please confirm that your practice will pay the proposed trainee solicitor at least the living wage, (currently €12.30 an hour)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Lallers96 wrote: »
    This bit is in the "Small Practice Traineeship Grant Application":

"If granted, please confirm that your practice will pay the proposed trainee solicitor at least the living wage, (currently €12.30 an hour)."

This is the baseline so you might be able to negotiate a higher salary?

Haha I wouldn't complain tbh if I got that, I can't be picky and I certainly don't want to push my luck and make the partner go with someone cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Do cox give you the chance to interview or just an outright offer?

there is a review at the end of the internship with the partner you have been working under but its not an interview! just a chat about how the internship went etc. and then they call you a few weeks after the internship and tell you if you got the TC or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Haha I wouldn't complain tbh if I got that, I can't be picky and I certainly don't want to push my luck and make the partner go with someone cheaper

Good luck with your interview!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 roofus22

Has anybody heard from Fieldfisher following the interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Anything from Lavelle Partners at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fe1555

Looking for some advice.. I absolutely hate anything commercial and always told myself I wouldn’t train/work in any of the big 5 or the medium size commercial places. I’ve always wanted to do criminal and train in a criminal firm. I’m hoping to start ppc1 in sept 22 as I still have a few fe1s to do. Am I completely foolish in thinking I’ll get sorted with a traineeship? I applied for staines back when they were hiring and unfortunately didn’t get an interview. I’ve sent a few emails off to criminal places in Dublin but heard nothing back. Is it better to just train in the commercial places? I literally hate it and my brain doesn’t comprehend even the most basic of commercial terminology. But then I feel like most people starting those traineeships are probably the same. Would love to hear what people think/their past experiences have been if any. Cheers!

fe1555 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice.. I absolutely hate anything commercial and always told myself I wouldn’t train/work in any of the big 5 or the medium size commercial places. I’ve always wanted to do criminal and train in a criminal firm. I’m hoping to start ppc1 in sept 22 as I still have a few fe1s to do. Am I completely foolish in thinking I’ll get sorted with a traineeship? I applied for staines back when they were hiring and unfortunately didn’t get an interview. I’ve sent a few emails off to criminal places in Dublin but heard nothing back. Is it better to just train in the commercial places? I literally hate it and my brain doesn’t comprehend even the most basic of commercial terminology. But then I feel like most people starting those traineeships are probably the same. Would love to hear what people think/their past experiences have been if any. Cheers!

Very hard to get a criminal traineeship in the defense firms but what would be a good shout be to look up any vacancies in the department of justice or civil service !!

There are some firms that you could look at like ferry’s that could have room for a trainee in criminal as a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

fe1555 wrote: »

You could try go General Practice?

• Advertisement

Anyone heard from KPMG?

Any advice for Walkers second round? Or how to deal with second round interviews generally?

I feel like I can't just reuse all the same material!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

jus_me wrote: »
    Anything from Lavelle Partners at all?
    Anyone heard from KPMG?

Any advice for Walkers second round? Or how to deal with second round interviews generally?

I feel like I can't just reuse all the same material!

None from Lavelle's at all. I followed up and never got a reply from that either.

I haven't heard anything back from KPMG yet

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

Law firms are very slow at replying back. Given COVID, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were slower. I still havnt heard back from Dehcert. Starting to feel that they aren’t running the summer internship this year.

Law firms are very slow at replying back. Given COVID, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were slower. I still havnt heard back from Dehcert. Starting to feel that they aren’t running the summer internship this year.

That's true. I can understand why it'd be slow given the current situation but it can just get a bit worrying sometimes

Hopefully we'll all hear something back eventually

SKLaw wrote: »
    None from Lavelle's at all. I followed up and never got a reply from that either.

I haven't heard anything back from KPMG yet

Oh do KPMG do law traineeships ? I actually didn’t know that !

Have seen a lot of new hires of data analysis's

Bad form leaving people hanging this long. It's been 6 weeks since I applied to Lavelle and also Mulanny Walsh Maxwell LLP

KPMG, Deloitte and perhaps PwC do tax traineeships for trainee solicitors. Never enjoyed tax law but it's a good option for those looking.

I didn't know that they did either! It was by chance that I stumbled across it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 UCCME

I haven't heard back from loads of places, it's the norm now for most top 10-20 firms I'm gonna say.

Interesting about KPMG and PwC, I thought the only opportunities they offered legal grads was in Company Secretarial (I know Deloitte is different and I think they only have one or two places on offer each year)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

The big 4 are very secretive on the salary though. It could be a lot lower.

• Advertisement

The big 4 are very secretive on the salary though. It could be a lot lower.

Are you saying that the salaries should be a lot lower?

KPMG, Deloitte and perhaps PwC do tax traineeships for trainee solicitors. Never enjoyed tax law but it's a good option for those looking.

I knew Deloitte did anyway !! Ah yes I don’t think tax would be my strong suit haha. Would be nice to get into one of those I’d say it’d be a nice close knit group of people

UCCME wrote: »
    I haven't heard back from loads of places, it's the norm now for most top 10-20 firms I'm gonna say.

Interesting about KPMG and PwC, I thought the only opportunities they offered legal grads was in Company Secretarial (I know Deloitte is different and I think they only have one or two places on offer each year)

It’s very odd - I heard back from very job I applied for bar 1 although that was before Christmas so maybe things have got a bit more hectic now

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Not sure about PwC offering legal training contracts - I know for sure that Deloitte/KPMG do. I could be wrong on that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Are you saying that the salaries should be a lot lower?

They shouldn’t be but they are I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Has anyone much experience applying to small/mediums firms in the past while? I'm ringing firms trying to get the best person to address my email/ cover letter to and most receptionists seem like they can't wait to get me off the phone. I'm getting sceptical when they give me the general company email to send my application to as it seems like its instantly going to get ignored when it goes there!Just want to check if this method actually works ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

I can tell you now that the Big Four for law will offer at most 28k. The norm is closer to 25k for first year salaries.

I can tell you now that the Big Four for law will offer at most 28k. The norm is closer to 25k for first year salaries.

That's poor form.

neon123 wrote: »
    Has anyone much experience applying to small/mediums firms in the past while? I'm ringing firms trying to get the best person to address my email/ cover letter to and most receptionists seem like they can't wait to get me off the phone. I'm getting sceptical when they give me the general company email to send my application to as it seems like its instantly going to get ignored when it goes there!Just want to check if this method actually works ?

It's really not the most efficient method. It works in the sense that if you send out 200 CVs you might get 10 places to respond back to you.

• Advertisement

It's really not the most efficient method. It works in the sense that if you send out 200 CVs you might get 10 places to respond back to you.

Well that's worrying :pac: Is there any better way of approaching these firms? I'm concentrating on these as I rather start my traineeship ASAP and don't want to wait for the remote chance of getting something in a larger firm and not starting until 2024 etc.

Didn't get the TC after getting to the second round of interviews. Gutted to say the least. I got down to the final 3 apparently but didn't get an offer. Hoping something crops up on legal vacancies because there has been so little to apply for in the last 2 months and emailing around to random firms has proven to be pointless.

Didn't get the TC after getting to the second round of interviews. Gutted to say the least. I got down to the final 3 apparently but didn't get an offer. Hoping something crops up on legal vacancies because there has been so little to apply for in the last 2 months and emailing around to random firms has proven to be pointless.

Sorry to be hear about this mate. But the fact that you got so far shows your application is strong enough and all you need is a lucky break. Keep the faith!

Yeah I'm disappointed as I felt like myself and the partner got on well both times and he was highly, highly complementary of me as a person and did not care about academics at all. (I never even got asked).

One thing I would say is he told me that 1 person who interviewed the best in the first round was immediately ruled out due to their "social media presence" so I'd be careful what you choose to post as places do background checks.

He also knew that I had applied to other firms and had seen my applications. I don't think he should have access to that but he obviously was thorough in his background check of me and had connections in the firms I had emailed. Felt like that somehow bit me on the bum.

Gutted for you but fingers crossed something will pop up. You can at least have an idea as to where you could improve maybe? Well done though on getting as far as you have. It's very competitive out there

I'm feeling a bit hopeless at the moment that I'll even get a TC tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Yeah I'm disappointed as I felt like myself and the partner got on well both times and he was highly, highly complementary of me as a person and did not care about academics at all. (I never even got asked).

One thing I would say is he told me that 1 person who interviewed the best in the first round was immediately ruled out due to their "social media presence" so I'd be careful what you choose to post as places do background checks.

He also knew that I had applied to other firms and had seen my applications. I don't think he should have access to that but he obviously was thorough in his background check of me and had connections in the firms I had emailed. Felt like that somehow bit me on the bum.

Something similar happened to me, went through 3 rounds and thought the final round interview went really well, I was quite confident coming out of it. I do think a lot of times they have people pegged as their favourites and they have their eye on them and it's theirs to lose. I know it's awful now but you will get something.

Bizarre that he somehow had your other applications? Not as if firms could even share them even if they wanted to with GDPR.

On a lighter note I reckon I know who they're talking about with the social media presence 😂 if you're worried just lock your accounts

• Advertisement

I always lock my twitter come application season. Too many political posts to be safe :/

Would the Law Society vacancies page be the best way to find out about available TC's? Been perusing it for a few months now and don't think I've seen one been listed, at least in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Would the Law Society vacancies page be the best way to find out about available TC's? Been perusing it for a few months now and don't think I've seen one been listed, at least in Dublin anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily call it the best way - it is good alright but there are lots of other sources too and bear in mind many of the larger firms wouldn't necessarily advertise there.

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily call it the best way - it is good alright but there are lots of other sources too and bear in mind many of the larger firms wouldn't necessarily advertise there.

Thanks for the advise, could you suggest any other ways of finding opportunities as at the moment I'm just sending out speculative applications, but as someone said in another post it's probably not the best way of approaching the task! You mentioned the larger firms, I take it you mean the milkrounds?

lawgrad15 wrote: »

Where else are they advertised? LinkedIn, Indeed, and Jobs are absolutely dead when it comes to TCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bigchungus

Potentially silly question but I'm an FE1 newbie, when is the best time of year to be sending out applications for TCs? I did send out a few speculative apps recently but figured it's not the right time of year. It's pretty nerve-wracking too to see how much demand for them there is compared to availability

bigchungus wrote: »
    Potentially silly question but I'm an FE1 newbie, when is the best time of year to be sending out applications for TCs? I did send out a few speculative apps recently but figured it's not the right time of year. It's pretty nerve-wracking too to see how much demand for them there is compared to availability

Milkrounds. It's gotten worse. This year most firms say they've received the most applications out of any year before.

bigchungus wrote: »

I'm in the same boat, just sat my last 2 FE1's so looking around at the moment. I would have thought now would be a good time for small/medium firms as they could look to start me in September when Black Hall commences. I'm going to keep ploughing on sending speculative applications but I'm also keeping an eye out for legal executive work, but that area seems difficult to get into as most places want experience.

That's poor form.

I have heard that the legal salaries are different than the accounting ones. Does anyone have confirmation of what the salary is for the KPMG though?

Handy to know in advance before going through the process.

Has anyone heard back with a date for Walkers second round? The start date for the position is quite soon.

Has KPMG already interviewed for this years TC's? Had a look on Google but I just get an error when I go on the page.

Has KPMG already interviewed for this years TC's? Had a look on Google but I just get an error when I go on the page.

I’m hoping not as I haven’t heard back from them. I get the same error on the page when I view it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legalapples

I have heard that the legal salaries are different than the accounting ones. Does anyone have confirmation of what the salary is for the KPMG though?

Has anyone heard back with a date for Walkers second round? The start date for the position is quite soon.

I haven’t heard back from Walkers yet but was under the impression they wanted to start second round interviews next week ...

KPMG accounting salary first year for September is €28,000

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but does anyone know where is the best place to look for paralegal / legal admin jobs? Thanks!

SKLaw wrote: »
    I’m hoping not as I haven’t heard back from them. I get the same error on the page when I view it

I got a PFO off them a few days back

• Advertisement
Advertisement