Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Got a call from Coke today, said they're hoping to have interviews organised by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Got a call from Coke today, said they're hoping to have interviews organised by next week.

Oh fair play for getting a call. I hope my phone rings haha, did you apply and contact them after to find out or did they just randomly call you today?

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Oh fair play for getting a call. I hope my phone rings haha, did you apply and contact them after to find out or did they just randomly call you today?

Thanks. I applied on LinkedIn when it was up and only heard back today. It was from an English number. They haven't confirmed me for interview yet. It was just a prescreen to see if I had the FE1s, knew it was the hybrid and was ok relocating to Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mint195

I got a call from coke as well today. They were saying that it would be an immediate start date which I was confused about because I thought the hybrid course starts in Jan 2022? Were you told the same?

Mint195 wrote: »
    I got a call from coke as well today. They were saying that it would be an immediate start date which I was confused about because I thought the hybrid course starts in Jan 2022? Were you told the same?

Tbh I couldn't quite hear a lot of what the guy was saying but that's the impression I got as he was asking about my notice and when my contract is up. I imagine it's basically a pre-seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mint195

Tbh I couldn't quite hear a lot of what the guy was saying but that's the impression I got as he was asking about my notice and when my contract is up. I imagine it's basically a pre-seat.

Ya I could barely hear him either. He said that early summer would be the start date if I heard him right, a long pre-seat then!

I'm assuming when you say a pre seat, that they would start training you before the hybrid. I would have automatically assumed this because most firms seem to prefer you sit the hybrid so they can have you in office as early a 4 months before you start (I think that's the max. time you can accrue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

The hybrid enables you to write off your pre-seat (5 months) against in-office training, meaning that you would likely be expected to join the company towards the end of July/beginning of August.

Apologies, just read your last post! At least you'll be well settled anyways by the time you begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lawwww2020

What would be the average age of a Trainee at the moment? I don’t really know anyone else in this field!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Lawwww2020 wrote: »
    What would be the average age of a Trainee at the moment? I don’t really know anyone else in this field!

Average is probs 25/26 but there’d be a good few in their 30 s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Lawwww2020

Average is probs 25/26 but there’d be a good few in their 30 s

Thank you! I should hopefully be starting at 25 but just don’t really know anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Lawwww2020 wrote: »

I will be 23/24 when I start as a trainee but the average is probably mid to late 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Law1234

Has anyone applied for the summer internship with A&L or Arthur Cox in their Belfast office?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fe1123

Did anyone ever hear back from dac beachcroft

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keeponapplying

Heard back mid-April saying they would be in touch before the end of the month. It's now May though, so I'm assuming they just didn't send out PFOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Didn't hear any updates from DAC

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Gaga15 wrote: »
    Zeidler group have a traineeship posted at the moment fyi

Hi, just seen this. Did you apply?

I think they had a traineeship posted before did any one here apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

rickmatt wrote: »
    Hi, just seen this. Did you apply?

I think they had a traineeship posted before did any one here apply?

I applied last time - they were very nice to deal with but having no background in finance/investment law, the assessment was quite challenging tbh. That in itself made me realise that that area of the law isn't a good fit for me which was worthwhile in a way.

PPC1 application form is online with deadline 1st July

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

Where?

• Advertisement

Is it just me or have the trainee roles completely dried up for the last while. I've seen maybe 2 roles since March.

Where?

If you search PPC1 2021 it comes up !

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Is it just me or have the trainee roles completely dried up for the last while. I've seen maybe 2 roles since March.

It's completely dead at the moment, I sent out a fair few speculative applications to firms in Dublin City and most got back saying they are not hiring this year or they already have their trainee lined up. Best thing we can do is try and get some legal experience for when the tide does rise. The Solicitor at the company I work for agreed to allow me to assist him with his work where possible and provide some mentoring, so at least I can get some up to date legal experience to put on my CV. I'll be doing the stuff outside work but sure at least I'll be kept occupied. I'd say overall this year will be a bit of a write off in terms of finding a traineeship with the milk-rounds being the only avenue available, but we all know how competitive they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Trainee job going in cavan advertised by law society, too far away for me though. Surely things will pick up when the courts open up fully in a few weeks.

Has anyone who got a call from Coke last week heard back about scheduling an interview?

channing90 wrote: »
    Trainee job going in cavan advertised by law society, too far away for me though. Surely things will pick up when the courts open up fully in a few weeks.

Yeah I got that email. I won't bother applying for that, despite me being desperate for a trainee role, I doubt they would even take on someone who lives a long way away. Plus I don't really fancy living in Cavan.

Has anyone who got a call from Coke last week heard back about scheduling an interview?

I saw 2 people posted last Thursday and Friday that they had gotten a call and that Coca Cola were looking to schedule interviews sometime this week. I never got a call myself and quite gutted I didn't get a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I can only see the 2020 details, nothing on 2021 on LS website

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fe1new4

Has anyone heard from Hanranhan Lally D’alton who applied for their traineeship yet?

• Advertisement

holliek wrote: »
    I can only see the 2020 details, nothing on 2021 on LS website

If you google PPC1 2021 it comes up it it did for me the other day anyway like the third thing on the page

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Fe1new4 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard from Hanranhan Lally D’alton who applied for their traineeship yet?

Haven't heard anything back. Maybe tomorrow or early next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Any tips on what to write in a cover letter when applying for a traineeship?

I’ve applied everywhere possible the last couple of months but no luck so I’m just wondering am I doing something wrong?

I cover the basics, but they’re also on my cv. I go through my extracurricular activities etc.

Just any tips on what to include, structure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rickmatt wrote: »
    Any tips on what to write in a cover letter when applying for a traineeship?

I’ve applied everywhere possible the last couple of months but no luck so I’m just wondering am I doing something wrong?

I cover the basics, but they’re also on my cv. I go through my extracurricular activities etc.

Just any tips on what to include, structure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My cover letter is quite simple. First paragraph introduce myself. Second paragraph explain why I'm interested in the job. Third paragraph show how my experiences and background will help me do well. Last paragraph just sign off.

Triple check everything for grammar and make sure it's well written and easy to understand.

One page only. No need to repeat what's on your CV.

I've gotten interviews with pretty much everywhere I've applied with a cover letter using this format. Never really had issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

If you google PPC1 2021 it comes up it it did for me the other day anyway like the third thing on the page

Typical law society, secretly release application and don't update website!!

I'm just after noticing that the application deadline is the 1st of July for PPC 1. The Hybrid doesn't start until December, so does this have a later application date?

Or do you need a TC lined up before July 1st to get into the hybrid at the end of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I'm just after noticing that the application deadline is the 1st of July for PPC 1. The Hybrid doesn't start until December, so does this have a later application date?

Or do you need a TC lined up before July 1st to get into the hybrid at the end of the year?

Definitely later for the Hybrid they were taking people after the course started this year! :pac: I got mine in before the very first Hybrid deadline which was chaos, I also got everything certified at a Garda station rather than by a solicitor but they took all my documents - phew

Definitely later for the Hybrid they were taking people after the course started this year! :pac: I got mine in before the very first Hybrid deadline which was chaos, I also got everything certified at a Garda station rather than by a solicitor but they took all my documents - phew

Ah sound that makes more sense, I just kinda panicked when I saw the deadline. Do you know when that deadline is roughly?

Anyone with a big firm TC know whether the firm would impose restrictions on where you can work before you start your TC? Would that even be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

Has there been a recent discussion on traineeship salaries on here? I was told today that the law society recommend 18,000 euro a year for small firms. Thought that was way too low, although they do pay your fees. Im on not much more than that at the minute and can just about afford rent food and electricity. Dont think I would be able to afford travel if I was to go back to the office (dublin)

LS3 wrote: »
    Has there been a recent discussion on traineeship salaries on here? I was told today that the law society recommend 18,000 euro a year for small firms. Thought that was way too low, although they do pay your fees. Im on not much more than that at the minute and can just about afford rent food and electricity. Dont think I would be able to afford travel if I was to go back to the office (dublin)

The Law Soc asks for minimum wage but some firms get away with paying less because so many candidates are desperate to get TCs. And I don't think there's any obligations on firms to pay Blackhall fees. The big firms do and they pay salaries upwards of 45k, but there's no obligation on small firms to pay PPC fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FE1_2020_

Anyone with a big firm TC know whether the firm would impose restrictions on where you can work before you start your TC? Would that even be legal?

Absolutely not, wouldn't that infringe upon your right to earn a livelihood etc your not under any contractual obligation until your contract date commences.

LS3 wrote: »

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/trainees/mintraineesalaries.pdf

If the firm is paying your fees they can reduce payment whilst you’re in blackhall

I commend those of you willing to move to Cavan (f that) to get a traineeship. It's v tough out there at the minute but you'll get something once things go back to normal.

Law firms definitely have the upper hand right now but focus on yourselves, get some experience (unpaid if necessary), up-skill, etc. and you'll get there.

If a gammy little solicitor's office is offering you an 18K salary, is it really worth it? Surely you'd be better off doing something else for the time being until there are more traineeships available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fe14dewin

Anyone hear back from Philip Lee or DAC on applications for TCs?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    If a gammy little solicitor's office is offering you an 18K salary, is it really worth it? Surely you'd be better off doing something else for the time being until there are more traineeships available.

That's not a choice for a lot of people really. On the other hand, the Law Society demanding higher minimum wages for trainees will result in fewer TCs becoming available. It's a Catch-22.

That's not a choice for a lot of people really. On the other hand, the Law Society demanding higher minimum wages for trainees will result in fewer TCs becoming available. It's a Catch-22.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it. I would resent any employer paying me less than minimum wage, even if my fees were being paid. Sher what's it to them? Any fees paid to the Law Society would be tax deductible anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it. I would resent any employer paying me less than minimum wage, even if my fees were being paid. Sher what's it to them? Any fees paid to the Law Society would be tax deductible anyways.

Yes exactly. Race to the bottom. No employer who pays you less than minimum wage for literal years (this ain't a week long work shadowing, this is literal years of your life) has any respect for you.

If someone else is bankrolling you, that's a house deposit gone. If you have no other income that's literal years of debt you're going to have to crawl out of. It will be years of playing catch up.

It doesn't matter if there are less TCs. Frankly, the Law Society should be properly checking that all trainees are paid. It's obvious that's not a consideration for them. All of you (and every other employee) deserve to be paid, and compromising on that won't help you or anyone else.

Anyways JA is baaaack!

https://www.courts.ie/careers#:~:text=The%20role%20of%20a%20judicial,going%20activities%2C%20research%20and%20administration.

A trainee solicitor must be paid a salary of at least the Statutory Wage during his/her two year in-office training period. This is €367.20 per week based on the Education Committee’s recommendation of a 36 hour work week. This is €1,591.19 per month or €19,094.28 per annum. Hours worked in excess of 36 hours per week must also be paid at least the Statutory Wage

Yes exactly. Race to the bottom. No employer who pays you less than minimum wage for literal years (this ain't a week long work shadowing, this is literal years of your life) has any respect for you.

If someone else is bankrolling you, that's a house deposit gone. If you have no other income that's literal years of debt you're going to have to crawl out of. It will be years of playing catch up.

It doesn't matter if there are less TCs. Frankly, the Law Society should be properly checking that all trainees are paid. It's obvious that's not a consideration for them. All of you (and every other employee) deserve to be paid, and compromising on that won't help you or anyone else.

Anyways JA is baaaack!

https://www.courts.ie/careers#:~:text=The%20role%20of%20a%20judicial,going%20activities%2C%20research%20and%20administration.

How competitive are JA positions? I've only got experience in corporate law - any point in applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

I think DAC beachcroft has sent out invites for assessments for training contract in the last few days

• Advertisement
Advertisement