Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT: The Hard Shoulder with Kieran Cuddihy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There are rational fears and there are cities or neighbourhoods where I wouldn't go around after dark. And frankly any man going around would be also in danger.

However I live in rural area close to lovely path through the woods that a lot of us walk. I also know women who are afraid to walk there despite no attack being there in last 50 years. They are in more danger of being hit by a car staying on main road. That's just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No amount of "conversations" and well-meaning campaigns are going to change bad cnuts into decent guys, short of chemically castrating every male in the world it's not going to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The show is relying on idiots phoning in and idiot pundits saying stupid things. I need to find something else to listen to at this time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MattressRick

The male caller saying that men are led to believe that they treat women well if they don't rape them, because judges declare certain grades of sexual assault e.g. low grade sexual assault, is just nonsense that's pandering to this generalisation of men.
    There was no balance in that discussion.
    A tiny minority of men behave like this towards women yet every man is being tarred with the same brush in that discussion. Kieran Cuddihy could do worse than at least point that out, yet he was too afraid to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This topic is being so badly handled with its anti-male woke agenda that it's beyond crazy. This woman says "I'm sure that it's not all males" - thank you so much. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

this is where Ivan or George is badly missed !!

And now this one remembering an incident from the 1950s (!) and says her abuser was about 11 and she was 9 and they went to court - righty in 1950's Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

As much as I am sick of every woman is scared narrative I'm also sick of some whinging how everything is anti men. Well majority of attackers are men and they are stronger than women.

Once you look at stats it becomes fairly clear it's fairly rarely that you will be attacked but if it happens it will most likely be a man. That's just basic statistics.

Of course the majority of attackers are men but the tiny number of men who behave in this way are not going to be influenced by all the whining. The only thing that will reduce this sort of carry on is absolutely ruthless prison sentences where hard labour is also involved and no amount of trashing the entire male population will achieve anything but it helps provide fodder for trash radio programmes, Twitter and FB.

Enjoyed that interview with the two brothers from The Happy Pear. More of that please The Hard Shoulder, less random phone caller's opinions and waffle.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Of course the majority of attackers are men but the tiny number of men who behave in this way are not going to be influenced by all the whining. The only thing that will reduce this sort of carry on is absolutely ruthless prison sentences where hard labour is also involved .
    Can you point to anywhere that this has worked, before I reach for that now-overdone 'definition of madness' (doing the same thing that always failed, and expecting...?)

Cultural change is needed, not more prisons.

The mother of the boy named Lewis (sp?), who had previously been on Liveline, was on with Cuddihy this evening, and gave a very affecting account of her struggle to avail of treatment with her son with Spina Bifida.

Her son has had such bad sores that a piece of bone in his hip had become exposed. I know we are in the midst of a pandemic, but this has been going on in that family since 2019. Kieran Cuddihy described it as institutional neglect, and it's true. If anyone else except the State was responsible for that, the guards would be called.

The mother of the boy named Lewis (sp?), who had previously been on Liveline, was on with Cuddihy this evening, and gave a very affecting account of her struggle to avail of treatment with her son with Spina Bifida.

Her son has had such bad sores that a piece of bone in his hip had become exposed. I know we are in the midst of a pandemic, but this has been going on in that family since 2019. Kieran Cuddihy described it as institutional neglect, and it's true. If anyone else except the State was responsible for that, the guards would be called.

I have no idea why, but certain parts of our public service have fallen way below standard. Prime Time this evening was about the wastage in the OPW. How do these things happen, and how do we stop it happening in the future? I honestly don't know. Newstalk have been running ads about how to improve Society. Be interesting to see how far they go with it, and what people's views and ideas are.

This wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This wan.

Gok?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Nice to hear Mark Cagney back on the radio,filling in for Kieran today!

zorro2566 wrote: »

Heard that. The man must have said 'I' about 800 times throughout the programme. If Cagney was interviewing an Inuit about life in Greenland he would spend half the time talking about himself building a snowman in his back garden.

Listen out for it next time he's on. He has to bring every topic around to himself and his experiences.

Heard that. The man must have said 'I' about 800 times throughout the programme. If Cagney was interviewing an Inuit about life in Greenland he would spend half the time talking about himself building a snowman in his back garden.

Listen out for it next time he's on. He has to bring every topic around to himself and his experiences.

He cuts across people too much, usually with an 'I' story as you say.

Was that guy who was on defending ticket touts a phone in? Ridiculous

The show is really just a Drivetime misery slot, and I've had enough. Music from 4pm it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

Of all the days to have a BiBi interview. Go on Kieran ask her about her opinion on gender neutral toilets.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Who is covering for Kieran? He is brutal. Bring back Mark Cagney. I've listed 38 minutes and can't last anymore.

Of to drive time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Who is covering for Kieran? He is brutal. Bring back Mark Cagney. I've listed 38 minutes and can't last anymore.

Of to drive time.

Is David Quinn from the Iona Institute who is covering- Jesus Christ he's brutal and that's before you think about his background.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In the car this afternoon and Pleasantly surprised by the presenter today - David Quinn.

Going well so far.

Hopefully we hear more of David going forward.

zorro2566 wrote: »

Cagney is an instant turn off. That man is obsessed with himself

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Of to drive time.

Cagney is absolutely self obsessed

Dare I say it the newbie on now is far preferable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Is David Quinn from the Iona Institute who is covering- Jesus Christ he's brutal and that's before you think about his background.

Did he break in there? Surely woketalk wouldn't let him run his own program

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Poor man sounded like he was reading from que cards. I switched off then he introduced Vicky Feeeeeling. How she kept a straight face, I'll never know.

Oh dear. More and more I'm switching to radio 1, I hate breakfast, lunchtime and I'm not pushed on the hard shoulder. I'm listening since 2008, but it's the worst it's ever been.

Must say I liked David Q on yest evening. Hopefully he becomes a regular.

Much prefer him to the likes of Cagney. Cagney I find, spends more time talking about himself and his views than actually, y’know, interviewing the guest.

Anyway rant over. - NT management if you are reading stick with David Q, he has great potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Cuddihy seems to enjoy a nightly rant about something or other. Today’s topic of the day is how hard it is for millennials.
    He also loves campaigning various health issues, waiting lists, vaccines and will have someone on at length explaining their situation before asking the next politician on to talk about something else when they are going to fix this.
    He’s becoming a shock jock but assume he’s getting in the texts he keeps plugging

Advertisement