Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever used an interior designer?

Options
  • 15-09-2020 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭

Planing to get the house painted inside and out and get some new furniture.

Went into Foy's to pick up some paint brochures and talk to the assistant, but could I pick? Hadn't the foggiest. They have an interior designer who would visit your home and make recommendations. €75, refundable with a spend of €500 or more at their shop.

Should I bother? Anyone ever used an interior decorator (from Foy's or elsewhere) and was it money well spent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Painter said not to bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

75e is not bad for an interior designer thought it be a lot more.

One thing I hate doing is picking paint Bought paint a few months ago and I could have swore it was grey on the color chart turned out blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Heighway61

lulu1 wrote: »

Bought paint a few months ago and I could have swore it was grey on the color chart turned out blue
    That's my worry. Painter is recommending grey, apparantely that's the "in" colour. I'm not sure, furniture etc was bought to match the existing cream/magnolia. Went into a paint shop for brochures but it doesn't mean anything to me on a page with 20 other colours. As you say, also not sure if I can trust the colour that is on the page will be the colour on the wall. It's big bucks getting inside and outside done, don't want to be unhappy with finished job.

Bought paint a few months ago and I could have swore it was grey on the color chart turned out blue

I had the same problem. The same can of paint was grey in the bedroom, but blue in the living room.

Bit of research showed that any room with ANY bit of a northern aspect will bring up the slightest blue tint in grey paint - and a lot of greys have a blue tint.

You can either neutralise the blue by adding some dusky pink paint (not great, but not as "blue") , or go for a completely neutral grey, or one with a brown tint.

Maybe I didn't add enough of the dusky pink. I don't usually mix paint, but when you've bought the paint, and all the paint shops close because of lockdown - then needs must:)

I'm still going to repaint the living room before Christmas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I had the same problem. The same can of paint was grey in the bedroom, but blue in the living room.

Bit of research showed that any room with ANY bit of a northern aspect will bring up the slightest blue tint in grey paint - and a lot of greys have a blue tint.

You can either neutralise the blue by adding some dusky pink paint (not great, but not as "blue") , or go for a completely neutral grey, or one with a brown tint.

Maybe I didn't add enough of the dusky pink. I don't usually mix paint, but when you've bought the paint, and all the paint shops close because of lockdown - then needs must:)

I'm still going to repaint the living room before Christmas....

Well my blue paint is on now and on it's going to stay:)

Well my blue paint is on now and on it's going to stay:)

Mine's way to similar to "Baby Blue" - and I'm sick of living in a nursery.
    :)

Advertisement