Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a fast USB memory stick

Options
  • 15-09-2020 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭

I have bought various pen drives over the years, and many claim this speed and that speed, but all have disappointed when copying larger files.

Could anyone recommend a brand or model of memory stick that is actually fast, and which stays fast when its got stuff on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Go see what people say....
    https://usb.userbenchmark.com/

Mind that is not only USB stick that matters. Plugging USB3 into USB1.1 or USB2 wont help with speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that link.

Appreciate that it needs to be plugged into the correct USB port, but I have a 128gb USB3 stick apparently and when I plug it into my laptops USB3 port it can crawl at times.

Its a PNY one.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,003 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks for that link.

Appreciate that it needs to be plugged into the correct USB port, but I have a 128gb USB3 stick apparently and when I plug it into my laptops USB3 port it can crawl at times.

Its a PNY one.

Yeah not all are built to match the port's performance I'm afraid.

This PNY one for example is a Gen2 Type C,

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-512GB-Type-C-Flash/dp/B07NQJJZHL/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2K1Q5SDRMEG87&dchild=1&keywords=gen+2+type+c+flash+drive&qid=1600209140&sprefix=gen2+type+%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-16

which would make the layperson think it must be fast, but it's got a read speed "up to" 130 MB/s, while there are less flashy 3.1 ones that do reportedly double the performance:

https://usb.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/64443/Kingston-HyperX-Savage

Which are both faster than USB 2.1, but still slower than 3.0's max throughput (500 MB/s) and gen2 being faster still.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe its time they quoted min speeds rather than max speeds, if you only get the max speed for 5% of the time!

"Up to" is a great thing in advertising....a lot of BB providers use it to, and it covers them for a lot of useless service.

Personally i don't put to much fate into flash drives. Have few DataTraveler 100 G3, decade old, ~40MB/s read - ~17MB/s write
    Since SSD's prices dropped i use 2.5 enclosure - ~310MB/s read ~ 250MB/s write. M.2 enclosures available if size matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe its time they quoted min speeds rather than max speeds, if you only get the max speed for 5% of the time!

"Up to" is a great thing in advertising....a lot of BB providers use it to, and it covers them for a lot of useless service.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Fit-Flash-Drive/dp/B00LLEODCK

Have one of these, consistent 145 Read 45 Write sequential. Note: theyve a new design out now (plastic) and I've no idea if its any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've given up trying to get decent USB stick speeds.

Only time I've got decent speeds is using SSD in an external enclosure on my newest machine (laptop).

Almost every usb across all the machines I try has a slightly different speed and or power output. Some of the usb 3 ports are not usb 3 and some not labelled usb 3 are. You've got usb 3.0, 3.1, 3.2.

Likewise the usb flash drives themselves they might be usb 3 but they are using slow memory, they won't get decent speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Personally i don't put to much fate into flash drives. Have few DataTraveler 100 G3, decade old, ~40MB/s read - ~17MB/s write
    Since SSD's prices dropped i use 2.5 enclosure - ~310MB/s read ~ 250MB/s write. M.2 enclosures available if size matters

I would highly recommend Samsung's T5 drive for maximum portability and speed.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I would highly recommend Samsung's T5 drive for maximum portability and speed.
    Thanks for tip
    When i finally ruin my EVO850 will consider that or whatever "T" will come after, give me couple year... :D

Advertisement