Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Out- Reasonable clean of house

Options
  • 15-09-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Hi all, OH and I due to move out towards end of the month. Im just wondering what peoples thoughts are on what a reasonable way to leave the house is? We are abit worried we might have to fight for our deposit as we've had a few finance issues before with Landlord. I have done/am doing all the expected: washed, dusted and cleaned all presses inside and out. All radiators cleaned, all skirting boards, curtain railings, kitchen presses, oven clean, windows inside and out (except outside upstairs. should that be done?) all floors cleaned ( they have said they are re painting and re-carpeting so not sure whether I should get carpet cleaned anyway?) Have de weeded the garden again and will do final cut before we leave. should I get patio powerwashed? Im not sure how far we need to go tbh. Weve been in the house over 10 years so I feel there is simply wear and tear in places that I cannot fix. Like blinds need to be replaced and as said carpet is worn. Would love peoples thoughts on this please. or anything Im missing. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Sounds like you’ve done everything as you should. Make sure you get lots and lots of photographs just in case you do need to take a case to the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sounds to me like you've gone above and far beyond what most Irish tenants would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Leave it as you would like to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

thanks all. Hopefully enough to see our deposit....I think the inside will be spotless apart from carpet which as I say is wear and tear after 10 years. I dont know about the garden though...Its 'grand' as in lawn kept neat and cut and no weeds but we've probably let some plants and trees grow more than they'd like. Im not into gardening at all so didnt really think about it but, sure, we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

They absolutely cannot keep any of your deposit because the garden isn't as they would prefer, don't let them try it on with you.

After 10 years in a private rental a large amount of wear and tear is to be expected and any retention of deposit would have to be clearly outside that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement