Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC

Options
  • 15-09-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I am looking to get a gaming PC now I have no idea as to where to start - Ideally a pre build would be ideal -

Any ideas as to where I would get one don't want to spend over 600ishhh -

Ideally it will run call of duty / Battlefield / GTA etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta/ccl-delta-gaming-pc/

Would this be decent enough for what i am looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Rx713B wrote: »
    https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta/ccl-delta-gaming-pc/

Would this be decent enough for what i am looking for

That's a bit low spec. You ideally want something with at least 4 core 8 thread and a discrete graphics card.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-x/ccl-delta-x1-gaming-pc/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

When I was ready to order a custom PC from the UK the general concensus of people advising me told me to steer clear of CCL [also AWD] for custom builds [many people order seperate parts and some have good experience but they had horrible feedback on the likes of Trust pilot in particular for builds]

I went with this crowd instead:
    https://www.palicomp.co.uk/

During lock down, they had it built and delivered from UK to here within a week [I did pay a little extra for priority build and delivery]

What you have linked is very weak, it's not suitable for gaming, you will have to make use of your full budget or add some more for something decent and reliable. The other option is to buy used from a reliable seller on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Thanks lads , I suppose because my absolute lack of knowledge I am just looking for something that i can sit down switch on and play - Is there any machine you could recommend even if I have to go a little more expensive and that can be upgraded at the time if needed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Prebuilt machines may be batter value when the new GPU cards are available. so if you can wait a few weeks it might be beneficial.

CCL and AWD are fine to deal with and have sent systems to Ireland for years.

Do you need a monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Prebuilt machines may be batter value when the new GPU cards are available. so if you can wait a few weeks it might be beneficial.

CCL and AWD are fine to deal with and have sent systems to Ireland for years.

Do you need a monitor?

Like I said, some have good experience with these companies, I just wasn't taking a chance after reading some negative reviews and feedback. It's up to the buyer to do the research in any case

This is a decent spec:

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gaming-pc/040401011301/

Does your budget need to include a monitor?

You tend to get better motherboards and Power Supplies but building yourself. I'm happy to build machines in exchange for a six pack of crap larger. D5 here if that's any use to you.

This is what I would suggest, you need to shop around a bit with the various sellers as the delivery charges change who is cheapest.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£91.98 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£109.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£56.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£53.75 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (£204.97 @ AWD-IT)
    Case: GameMax Kamikaze PRO MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£59.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £627.15
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-16 11:32 BST+0100

I've speced a B550 motherboard and a Quad core processor. Another option is a B450 and a 2600 (6 core processor). My issue with B450 boards is we just don't know, or rather I don't know, who is going to be supporting the new range of Zen 3 processors on B450. What I do know is when it is supported on B450 it will only be in a beta (testing) state. Obviously very interested to get other views on that.

The upgrade path on this is to replace the 3100 with a 6 or 8 core Zen 3 part in a few years time. The GPU can be swapped out as and when required.

Any feedback on the above build would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

5500XT is a bad buy compared to GTX 1660 Super is 5 quid more & 27% faster.

Thanks K.O.Kiki - I'll change that now. Better off on nVidia anyway for drivers and such.

• Advertisement

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-mb520-argb-ryzen-7-2700x-nvidia-gtx-1660-super-16gb-ram-desktop-gaming-pc.html?wgu=13527_54264_16002888833106_99ce5647b3&wgexpiry=1608064883&source=webgains&siteid=54264

Although I'm happy to build; the above prebuilt is insanely good value. The motherboard is an older type but one that MSI have said will support Zen 3 not that you'll probably need to upgrade the 8 core processor included in the useful life of the system.

Change the SSD to a higher capacity.
    Change the case to a P400 Air, no brainer for a fiver
    Add a Wifi card.

Edit: Credit to Homelander for linking it in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Hi Sam,

My 11 year old is looking for a gaming pc... would this one suit with the few up-grades you mentioned to get him thru his teens on fast/ quality games...
    Does it have windows etc for home/ schoolwork.

Would noise be an issue? I don't mind paying more for quality..

I'm not a pc head as i'm sure you have gathered...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that PC should last for about 6 years for good performance but you would probably have to swap out the GPU after 2-3 years
    It doesn't have Windows installed but you can download it from Microsoft for free which just have a watermark in the corner saying it is not activated but will be fully functional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Tanx… Is there adequate cooling and noise suppression to facilitate high speed gaming

Much appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

What PC are you talking about, the AWD one? All AWD machines come with Windows 10 installed regardless of whether you do or don't pay for a license. If you don't, it'll just have the watermark in the corner but work fine otherwise.

Advertisement