Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft lobby effect on BER

Options
  • 15-09-2020 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a draft lobby in my new build A2 rated house that I am currently building. What effect does the draft lobby have on the house and does it effect the BER much. I am thinking of removing it to make more space in the hallway. Does it have a big effect or minor on energy.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi I have a draft lobby in my new build A2 rated house that I am currently building. What effect does the draft lobby have on the house and does it effect the BER much. I am thinking of removing it to make more space in the hallway. Does it have a big effect or minor on energy.

minor, but the only person who can tell you the exact impact is the assessor who did your prelim assessment.

if you were just barely on the cusp of compliance, it is something that could put you into non compliance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It may not impact much on the BER but it has, if used properly, a massive impact on reducing heat loss through the house being emptied of heat when the front door is opened and its windy outside.

You would be (eco)mental not to put it in.:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

It may not impact much on the BER but it has, if used properly, a massive impact on reducing heat loss through the house being emptied of heat when the front door is opened and its windy outside.

You would be (eco)mental not to put it in.:D

I think this is the key point "if used correctly" how many people close the draft lobby door behind them and then open the main door. I would say most people would just have both open. My lobby is big enough to do this though.

I will run it by my BER assessor, I have already asked him but no response but I will chase up again.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Though, this shouldn't matter as much if air tightness is up to scratch ;)

Advertisement