Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible PC Build

Options
  • 15-09-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I'm looking at building a new PC and with the new NVIDIA cards coming out this seems like a good time to do it,

Is this a viable build?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6-core processor
    Motherboard: MSI B450M-A PRO MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory
    Storage: Patriot Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    GPU: RTX 3070 when it comes out in October
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Already own this)

Hoping to keep it all in and around €1,000 but not sure how viable that is
    Also a little worried about the Power Supply not being up to scratch since I have it a few years

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I'd recommend swapping out that case, it's a pain in the arse to cable manage and the airfow is terrible, which leads to horrible temps.

For a similar price you can get a GameMax Kamikaze Pro or an Aerocool Aero One Mini, both of which are better to build in, have better airflow, and come with 4 120ml ARGB fans (3 intake, 1 exhaust) which are pre-wired to installed controllers for the RGB (you can also control the RGB from your motherboard if you'd prefer).

They both use very similar frames which are also used by companies like Coolermaster, BeQuiet, and others. They're very good cases and feel very well made, decent heft to them.

I've built in both are will be using one or the other for my next personal build.

Only other recomendation I have is spend another couple of quid on your motherboard, that's a very basic board and will struggle for tuning RAM speeds and matching infinity fabric to the ram on 1:1 basis. Something like the b450 MortarMax would be much better and give you a better platform for a potential upgrade in a year or two.
    I'd nearly suggest plumping out enough to get the B550 Mortar for this reason.

And if you're waiting until october for the GPU anyway, it's probably not worth buying a new 3600 right now with the 4000 series Ryzen chips being launched in the middle of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

450W Bronze might not to be enough for a new 3070 or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    450W Bronze might not to be enough for a new 3070 or higher.

Hadn't spotted that.

Seconded. I'd be looking at a good 600w PSU if I was you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SalteeBiscuits

Hadn't spotted that.

Seconded. I'd be looking at a good 600w PSU if I was you OP.
    Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated,

Any tips for picking out a 600w PSU? Wouldn't know where to start myself and don't want to end up with a crap one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Defo go B550 for PCIe 4.0 support and future upgrading.

Are you sure that memory isn't CL16?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 SalteeBiscuits

Defo go B550 for PCIe 4.0 support and future upgrading.

Are you sure that memory isn't CL16?
    I'm not certain, I just used PC Part Picker, and that was what was recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm not certain, I just used PC Part Picker, and that was what was recommended

Ah I see its 3600. That's very loose timings. You can get 3200CL16 for £55 on Amazon or 68 for crucial ballistix 3600CL16.

Advertisement