Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's getting darker - I think I need a headlamp

• 15-09-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, I think I need a headlamp

I want to walk the dog more often during winter and would like to do that were we usually walk ...in the forest or along the beach.

So I need a headlamp.

Can anyone recommend a good one that lights up a reasonable area in front without being too bright...easy to use, easy to wear and of course not too expensive?

Not too bothered about a long distance beam or anything with a narrow focus ...a wider field of reasonable illumination would be more what I'm looking for ...something that makes it possible to see well about 5 meter around without blinding anyone I might meet.

This rules out the superbright spotlights that mountainbikers use, something more civilised and pedestrian would be what I want.

No torch either, need both hands for the lead, definitly something for the head.

Thanks for your help / experiences

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Calculator123

peasant wrote: »
    As the title says, I think I need a headlamp

I want to walk the dog more often during winter and would like to do that were we usually walk ...in the forest or along the beach.

So I need a headlamp.

Can anyone recommend a good one that lights up a reasonable area in front without being too bright...easy to use, easy to wear and of course not too expensive?

Not too bothered about a long distance beam or anything with a narrow focus ...a wider field of reasonable illumination would be more what I'm looking for ...something that makes it possible to see well about 5 meter around without blinding anyone I might meet.

This rules out the superbright spotlights that mountainbikers use, something more civilised and pedestrian would be what I want.

No torch either, need both hands for the lead, definitly something for the head.

Thanks for your help / experiences

This website is excellent
    https://www.flashlights.ie/collections/headlamps

I've bought two LED lenser handheld toches from them and they are superb for dog walking. I haven't tried the headlamps but 30 euro seems good value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

here's a few but look for sellers not from China as it takes 30 days
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=headlamp&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is a hi-tech headtorch in Lidl at the moment for less than €15. It features a sensor which changes the light intensity depending on angle of use i.e. looking directly at ground lowers the intensity, looking into distance gives a more powerful light.

Looks like just what you need!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got one on amazon - usb, nice and bright and has hand gestures so you can wave your hand in front to turn it on and off. Handy for poo finding :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I also use a LED harness for the dogs in the dark too - good to know where they are if only to avoid falling over them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

aonb wrote: »
    I also use a LED harness for the dogs in the dark too - good to know where they are if only to avoid falling over them!

eh yes also this , mine has a flashing red light thingy for running which ive clipped onto her harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

go to a builders providers shop they always have great ones

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I added a few parches of retro reflective tape to our dogs harness. The led lights on the harness always seem to run out of battery just when you need them most, with the tape the dog will be easily spotted when using a torch/car headlight etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/retroreflective-tape/s?k=retroreflective+tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My WFH has been extended so no messing with usb lights and hi-viz for either of us lol! :D I shall start work when I'd be in the dark park and then stop and have our walk an hour later :D

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    There is a hi-tech headtorch in Lidl at the moment for less than €15. It features a sensor which changes the light intensity depending on angle of use i.e. looking directly at ground lowers the intensity, looking into distance gives a more powerful light.

Looks like just what you need!
    ETA: Sensor actually based on distance, not angle.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sounds perfect, Esel..couldn't find it in my local Lidl though

If you call customer service, they can tell you if it's is in stock anywhere near you. Saw it only last week, so might still be available in some stores. I have enough headlights, so didn't buy it. :)

Not your ornery onager

Ok, so I spent several evenings watching reviews and comparisons on youtube and ended up spending a little more than initially envisaged, but I think I arrived at a good lamp for me.

It arrived only today, so this is just a first impression :D

I decided to buy the Nitecore HC 60 for the following reasons (listed by importance to me)

- it's rechargeable
    - it's rechargeable straight into the lamp ...no extra adapters or other gubbins needed
    - it has a wide field of illumination, not just a pointed beam
    - it puts out a good amount of light at different levels and is easy to cycle through
    - it has a memory function where it switches on at the last level used
    - it is of solid construction, waterproof and sturdy
    - it comes with a good headband, battery, charging cable and replacement seals, all complete and looks like it might last for a few years.

I've only been playing around in the garden with it, but so far I'm impressed.
    Medium setting looks like it would be well good enough for taking the dog for a walk in the dark woods (and should last 7 hrs according to the description). High and turbo settings are for scaring the neighbours (or finding the dog once its run away :D). Ultra low is just that, whereas low is almost too bright for reading.

This is an outdoor/work lamp for reasonable(-ish) money, probably a bit overkill for camping, but looks perfect for dog walking in unlit areas.
    Could turn out to be a bit heavy if you wear it for hours, but fits comfortably and the overhead strap helps with that.

I'll try and update this thread once I've used it a few times for realz.

EDIT
    Here's a picture of the box, medium output, box about 2m distant
    (small compensation for video of me playing ball with the dog in the dark that can't be uploaded here)

2973223-12a188c79937b490f040b1460512cb70.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Thanks a million for this

Ok, so used this thing for the first time in earnest tonight, outside the garden.

I'm perfectly happy with my purchase, works as advertised.

Walked a forest gravel road on medium setting. The lamp throws a nice wide beam, easily as wide as a three lane forest road. Lights up nice and clear to about 20 - 30 m ahead. There is a focussed spot of light in the middle, but not too strong, it really lights up the whole field very evenly. Perfect for walking.

Saw some light reflected in the eyes of two deer about 50 m away, couldn't see the animal itself.

Cranking up the light to "turbo" might have illuminated the deer ...if I had not breathed out at the same time and just blinded myself with the reflective fog:D
    Level 4 & turbo really are a bit overkill. Nice to have but not really needed for a good walk.

All in all, can fully recommend with one exception:
    This thing does have a bit of weight to it. Didn't bother me at all on an hour long walk, but for all night it might be a bit too heavy.
    If you want to go running I would suggest you go look for something lighter ...this thing would get a bit of a bounce on I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

go into any of the nearest agri / animal feed places they usually have good ones for the farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

peasant wrote: »
    Ok, so used this thing for the first time in earnest tonight, outside the garden.

Thanks for the info and review :)
    Where did you buy it? Amazon?

I bought it here:

https://www.knivesandtools.ie/en/pt/-nitecore-hc60-rechargeable-led-torch.htm

just look around, there are quite a few sellers and prices vary, so does the shipping cost

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I've been a nightwalker for years. I have settled on Petzl headlamps and my current one is a Petzl Pixa. Very powerful and reliable but some might find it heavy. I think the trick with any headlamp is to use it over a baseball cap. This greatly improves your ability to see and it stops even a very heavy one from slipping or moving about.
    This seems to be one of those things where you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

I have been using a Black Diamond headlamp for a while. Think it cost about 50 euro. It gets a fair bit of abuse (exposure to rain, chucked in the drawer, etc.) but it’s as good as the day I got it.

Advertisement