Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to retrieve data with broken screen?

• 15-09-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering is it possible to gain access to my phone? It switches on but there's a PIN and I'm unable to press any buttons other than 1,2, 3 as I dropped it and it's fecked. Connecting the USB is futile until I can get pass the unlock code at the start :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,745 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending on the type of phone, you can sometimes get a voice operated PIN entry - search for that specific feature on your model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

plug it into your computer but you may need software
    https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/apps-switch-control-pc-android/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

FairCity12 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering is it possible to gain access to my phone? It switches on but there's a PIN and I'm unable to press any buttons other than 1,2, 3 as I dropped it and it's fecked. Connecting the USB is futile until I can get pass the unlock code at the start :(

have you setup smart unlock for your bluetooth or anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

FairCity12 wrote: »

What phone model is it exactly?
    Best option may be to change the screen, even just for a temporary basis to get backup etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

It's a Samsung A5. I figured it would cost too much to replace as the phone is 3.5 years old anyway.

Thanks bobby will give that a try.

And no I didn't have any unlock thingy set up :( I had findmyphone account but it didn't get rid of the start up pin.

• Advertisement

Yeah things went from bad to worse. NO screen coming up at all now just the little light on th bottom. I bought a USB OTG thingy but it's useless as I can't see anything on the screen. I was reading different articles and one mentioned a HDMI adapter. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have you tried the suggestion above to connect it to a laptop/PC via USB?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

FairCity12 wrote:
    Yeah things went from bad to worse. NO screen coming up at all now just the little light on th bottom. I bought a USB OTG thingy but it's useless as I can't see anything on the screen. I was reading different articles and one mentioned a HDMI adapter. Does anyone know anything about this?

Your phone doesn't support hdmi out. Surely you'll have a backup of most of the stuff on the phone on google? It backs up pretty much everything these days.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I had similar happen to a Nexus 7 tablet I accidentally stepped on a few years ago and killed the touchscreen. I got a USB-to-micro-USB adapter and plugged in a USB mouse. Curser immediately appeared on the screen and I was then able to navigate the screen and tap on the screen keyboard with the mouse.

My screen has since died and nothing appears on it at all.
    The little lights come on at the bottom and it vibrates when I press the Power button.
    I've ordered an adapter thingy that allows me to connect to HDMI and use a USB mouse so hoping that will work. I feel I lost my window of opportunity :(

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Have you tried the suggestion above to connect it to a laptop/PC via USB?

Of course - that was my first option. When USB is connected the laptop makes that noise that it recognises it but it doesn't show on my devices. ASsume it might have if I didn't have an unlock code on the phone.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Your phone doesn't support hdmi out. Surely you'll have a backup of most of the stuff on the phone on google? It backs up pretty much everything these days.

If I had a backup I wouldn't be asking for help! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If your HDMI plan doesn't work, I'd say a good repair shop should be able to retrieve your data for you.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement