Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change the chain rather than cassette?

Options
  • 15-09-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have a 10 speed cassette. I bought a set of wheels with 11 speed cassette. Same ratio as the 10 speed (12:28). I put the new wheels on the bike to check the hub would fit. Gears are changing OK but chain rubbing a bit between the cogs. If I replace with 11 speed chain, will this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

android1 wrote: »
    I have a 10 speed cassette. I bought a set of wheels with 11 speed cassette. Same ratio as the 10 speed (12:28). I put the new wheels on the bike to check the hub would fit. Gears are changing OK but chain rubbing a bit between the cogs. If I replace with 11 speed chain, will this work?

Best to have an 11 speed chain as they're slightly narrower than a 10 speed.

But what about your shifters? How will they handle the extra shift?

Probably better to put the 10 speed cassette onto the new wheels with a spacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

crosstownk wrote: »
    Best to have an 11 speed chain as they're slightly narrower than a 10 speed.

But what about your shifters? How will they handle the extra shift?

Probably better to put the 10 speed cassette onto the new wheels with a spacer.

I have the old 46 tiagra shifters which index the 11 speed perfectly. I have the old 105 short cage rear derailleur which seems to be working perfectly. All that seems wrong is the rub of the wider chain between the cogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The narrower 11 speed chain should sort out the rub.

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm struggling to understand how a 10 speed shifter can facilitate an 11 speed cassette. You're missing the extra 'click'.

crosstownk wrote: »
    The narrower 11 speed chain should sort out the rub.

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm struggling to understand how a 10 speed shifter can facilitate an 11 speed cassette. You're missing the extra 'click'.

I know the 4700 tiagra only makes 10 clicks and won't work but for some strange reason the old tiagra shifters are making the 11 clicks no problem, up and down.

I know putting on the 10 speed cassette on the 11 speed hub is a sure fit. Just wondered if changing the chain would also work as the 11 speed cassette is like new.

When I put the wheels on with the 11 speed cassette, I didn't have to make any adjustments on the limiter screws for it to change up and down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

android1 wrote: »
    I know the 4700 tiagra only makes 10 clicks and won't work but for some strange reason the old tiagra shifters are making the 11 clicks no problem, up and down.

I'd love to see a video of this working as I don't believe it is possible. The 4600 shifter is 10 speed and has a fixed mechanism allowing it to shift 9 times from position 1. Are you sure its not skipping one gear somewhere in the middle of the cassette so you only have 10 gears but the chain moves between the top and bottom gear making it look like you have 11???

I'd love to see a video of this working as I don't believe it is possible. The 4600 shifter is 10 speed and has a fixed mechanism allowing it to shift 9 times from position 1. Are you sure its not skipping one gear somewhere in the middle of the cassette so you only have 10 gears but the chain moves between the top and bottom gear making it look like you have 11???

Yes. There's a good possibility that is what's happening. I think I will just change the cassette. Thanks for the feedback.

Advertisement