Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RST gear

Options
  • 15-09-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

Has anyone opinions on RST gear compared to more expensive brand like dainese or alpinestars..

Im looking to buy a 1 piece leather suit and RST are a good bit cheaper but I have compared my alpinestars boots and gloves to a friend's RST gear in the past and they are clearly not as good quality and I have gotten 5+ years out of boots and gloves whereas he has gotten 2 years.

Anyone any thoughts? Basic alpinestars or dainese suit is about 300 euro more than RST but judging by what I have seen the quality of their gloves and boots it's probably worth it...

Just looking for opinions

Not buying an insanely expensive suit, be like 500 euro for RST and about 750 for alpinestars or dainese

So neither top of the range by any means

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You're right, the gloves, boots and textiles are not to the same standard and they just don't last compared to other brands. However, I have found the RST leathers to be the exception. The only negative I have found with them, is that they lost their colour in certain spots from wear but some renapur balsam has restored them, I treat mine once a year, its not a lot of effort to do it which suits me. I have leathers from other brands which haven't shown the same wear and I've owned them for longer. If you have the 750 and you're in anyway OCD you probably should splash out, but the RST leathers will last as long as another brand, just they'll show it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'm not sure I agree with Zubair about the textiles. It depends on what model of RST kit you go and get.

Take the new Pathfinder suit, that's a rival for anything from Alpinestars etc. Laminate lining to prevent soakage, velour pock hand warmers, lovely neck hood for under the helmet, and comes with level 2 armour as standard. I'm testing one at the moment and really like it.

The Adventure 3 is another quality suit, albeit a bit heavy but it's the only road-going jacket I know with exterior protectors to help your collarbone escape a hit in an off-road spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I’d focus on the fit more than on the brand—unless you are prepared to spend way more for custom fit. Since you are asking about a 1-piece, I assume you are thinking of using it somewhere faster. Other than the primary goal of protecting your skin by not breaking apart whilst you are sliding at some speed on tarmac, they also need to ensure that the critical bits of the armour are and would remain in the correct place upon impact, rather than rotate or slide away. To achieve that try to find a tight fitting suit with the knee, shin, hip, elbow and shoulder armour being where they should be for your body shape.

I follow the line of thinking that back protectors should be purchased on their own, rather than being part of a 1-piece suit. This lets you buy the long ones that protect your lower back and spine, all the way down to your coccyx. Built-in back protectors are too short for that. A chest protector is also helpful, unless you get a good air vest.

Lastly, getting CE AAA (the newer standard) or Level 2 (the older but still the current one) protection would be also higher on my list than brand alone.

Over the last three months I had a chance to see this with quite a few riders attending machine control training courses, and even some at track days. There is a trend to get top-shelf, high-quality, long-lasting gear that is perhaps too comfortable and definitely too loose to do its full job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

All good points made here, and I'd also advocate in the price bracket, going with fit first.

That said, RST leathers did fit me and the one time I had an off on track, RST two piece zip together held up really well and minor scuffs was all I had, on the leathers, and bruised hip from the bounce.

I too have been dissapointed with RST gloves, compared with Dainese, but then found that Held were as good as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

Thanks lads.

@Rafal , I have a dainese full back protector which I always wear so won't be relying on any foam back protector included. It goes down to the base of the spine. Agree it's a must, foam things are a joke.

I suppose IL try on and have a look, end of the days it depends what the price difference is , if it's massive that might sway my purchase.

Not going to lie there is a bit of brand snobbery involved aswell, but it comes down the the money also.

Whatever I do I will be trying on in a shop and buying online.

Unless megabikes and bikeworld can knock 250 quid off a 1 piece suit they advertise them for they are not in the same stratosphere as the prices that can be had from the UK/online.

I'm happy to give them an extra 50 quid to help me size but 250-300 price difference on a suit that's less than a grand they can jump.

• Advertisement

Now is the time to hold off on purchases imo. Sales and discount codes will be coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Goose81 wrote: »

Unless megabikes and bikeworld can knock 250 quid off a 1 piece suit they advertise them for they are not in the same stratosphere as the prices that can be had from the UK/online.

I'm happy to give them an extra 50 quid to help me size but 250-300 price difference on a suit that's less than a grand they can jump.

I was the exact same. I don't mind a small or reasonable extra cost to the brick and mortar prices, but hundreds of quid isn't a luxury I have at present, so online got most of my purchases this year.

I was told BW price match now. I'd give any shop the opportunity to make the sale and price match but I wouldn't pay a penny more than the best online price.

Advertisement