Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90v back from pipe stat?

Options
  • 15-09-2020 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Currently pipe stat connected to stove is wired with 4 core flex back to a junction box. When I check the voltage readings between the wires and earth at the junction box with a multimeter I get the following :
    • Brown - common live 230v.
    • Black - connects on to circulation pump. 0v to earth when temp is lower than setting on stat, 230v when temperature rises above set level.
    • Grey - terminated at junction box, not connected to anything else. 230v when temp is lower than setting on stat. However 90v when temperature rises above set level.

Wondering what that 90v on the grey wire is all about when the thermostat closes? Would have expected it to be zero. Is that normal or safe or is the stat faulty? Is it an induced voltage, or something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

LostInLM wrote: »
    Currently pipe stat connected to stove is wired with 4 core flex back to a junction box. When I check the voltage readings between the wires and earth at the junction box with a multimeter I get the following :
    • Brown - common live 230v.
    • Black - connects on to circulation pump. 0v to earth when temp is lower than setting on stat, 230v when temperature rises above set level.
    • Grey - terminated at junction box, not connected to anything else. 230v when temp is lower than setting on stat. However 90v when temperature rises above set level.

Wondering what that 90v on the grey wire is all about when the thermostat closes? Would have expected it to be zero. Is that normal or safe or is the stat faulty? Is it an induced voltage, or something else?

What are u reading the voltage with

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Zarco wrote: »
    What are u reading the voltage with
    A bog standard multimeter, nothing special. Measuring between various terminals and earth terminal. Also notice the grey wire gives a low glow on a phase tester when the stat is calling the pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

LostInLM wrote: »
    A bog standard multimeter, nothing special. Measuring between various terminals and earth terminal. Also notice the grey wire gives a low glow on a phase tester when the stat is calling the pump.

It's probably just induced

You'll get 0v on the black because of the connection through the pump when off

It all seems to be operating correctly, dunno if there's an RCD or not on the pump circuit, multimeter prob wouldn't trip it when you're taking those readings

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Zarco wrote: »
    It's probably just induced

You'll get 0v on the black because of the connection through the pump when off

It all seems to be operating correctly, dunno if there's an RCD or not on the pump circuit, multimeter prob wouldn't trip it when you're taking those readings

Thanks. Good question about RCD. There's one in the CU but not sure if CH goes through it. Must check as it's an older installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The usual capacitive/induced voltage detected with very high impedance multimeter on a line parallel and close to a live conductor.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    The usual capacitive/induced voltage detected with very high impedance multimeter on a line parallel and close to a live conductor.

My thinking too.

Add a parallel load like a 1kohm resistor and a fiver says it disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Are there any situations where an induced current can be dangerous?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, many!

It is also desirable that this phenomenon exists. If not we wouldn’t have transformers or motors.

DC's day is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Not with transmission.

• Advertisement

You betcha it will. What's 50kVDC peak to peak?

..and frequency compatibility?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Not with transmission.

Too late, it is already used for transmission. Example:
    http://www.mutual-energy.com/trading-across-the-moyle-interconnector-isem/

Plenty of HVDC transmission going on.

HVDC lines have lower power losses than HVAC. No induction losses and no dielectric losses. This extends the life span of the conductors used.

Learning something new everyday.

My thinking too.

Add a parallel load like a 1kohm resistor and a fiver says it disappears.

Yes although it probably wouldnt last too long when 230v switches onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Restrooms

I heard first hand of major equipment damage from ELV or Data( can't remember) in close proximity to LV wiring

Not sure if it happens much

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Bruthal wrote: »

As suggested, looks like an induced voltsge.

Try connecting a small load, like a light bulb between the two points and see if the voltage goes to zero to confirm. Just my suggestion. Others may advise if I am incorrect

adrian92 wrote: »
    As suggested, looks like an induced voltsge.

Try connecting a small load, like a light bulb between the two points and see if the voltage goes to zero to confirm. Just my suggestion. Others may advise if I am incorrect

What voltage would it read with the phase tester lit

Would the phase tester bring it down I wonder

It's a problem with instrument loops... A good example lets say a RTD (PT-100) any mV induced to the loop distorts the true PV measurement. If its cabled back over a distance with large motors driven from VSDs in the room and cable segregation, cable spec and correct grounding of screens is not correct. Its awful commissioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Restrooms wrote: »
    What voltage would it read with the phase tester lit

Would the phase tester bring it down I wonder

I do not think a phase tester would be good. The OP has a multimeter.
    Neither would work , I think, to discharge some micro Amps for measurement purposes, assuming it is an induced voltage with no power .

That is why I gave my suggestion.

I may be wrong, of course.

• Advertisement

adrian92 wrote: »
    I do not think a phase tester would be good. The OP has a multimeter.
    Neither would work , I think, to discharge some micro Amps for measurement purposes, assuming it is an induced voltage with no power .

A low impedance multimeter will do the trick. For example one of these:

https://www.fluke.com/en-ie/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/dual-impedance-digital-multimeters

For the love of God avoid the “phase tester” screwdriver type devices.

2011 wrote: »
    A low impedance multimeter will do the trick. For example one of these:

https://www.fluke.com/en-ie/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/dual-impedance-digital-multimeters

Good article that

A simple diagram shouid be drawn explaining this "ghost voltage" thing with regard to high and low impedance meters. It's so simple that anyone who wants to unravel the mystery, can see it.

The old solenoid tester brings back memories

You'd be lucky if the mains could drive it sometimes

Restrooms wrote: »
    The old solenoid tester brings back memories

You'd be lucky if the mains could drive it sometimes

Yes had one for years. They would trip rcds and all

Advertisement