Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 17 (Grenoble - Méribel Col de la Loze, 170 km)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Dodge wrote: »
    By all account all the sprinters were together. So if Sam was docked points, they'
    d all be docked points

Anyway, they all made it.

Yep they all made it, but not together. Sagan finished around a minute ahead of Bennett, Ewan around a minute behind, Trentin another 30 seconds behind Ewan.

https://www.letour.fr/en/rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Really like to see what happened with Tadej, he was swinging at a fan that was right a top of him...looks like he was impeded...

Some finish from Roglic, looks like the yellow is his, in the national TT Tadej beat Roglic by 9 seconds, so a repeat of that won't be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Some poor fecker from BB Hotels team just trundled over the line now with the sweep up bus behind him....does he get eliminated from the race now or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yep they all made it, but not together. Sagan finished around a minute ahead of Bennett, Ewan around a minute behind, Trentin another 30 seconds behind Ewan.

https://www.letour.fr/en/rankings

Not to labour it, but if they were all to miss it, then they'd have stuck together. As it is, they went up in little team groups.

Those gaps only really would have occurred in the last 5k and they all knew they'd make it

No bother to them. They key point is that Sam was never in trouble today. Made the cut "eaasily"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Really like to see what happened with Tadej, he was swinging at a fan that was right a top of him...looks like he was impeded...

Some finish from Roglic, looks like the yellow is his, in the national TT Tadej beat Roglic by 9 seconds, so a repeat of that won't be enough

They didn't climb the "La Planche des Belles Filles" then mind!

9a941

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

"La Planche des Belles Filles" was chosen for Pinot ..makes me sad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Sam just 17 seconds behind Griepel in the GC, while the green jersey is important it would send a marker down if he could overhaul the gorilla

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Some poor fecker from BB Hotels team just trundled over the line now with the sweep up bus behind him....does he get eliminated from the race now or what?

Yes he was eliminated. Outside time limit, Jens Debusschere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

This Vuelta de France is turning out to be a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Daroxtar wrote: »

Since ASO took over the Vuelta, they seem to use it as a lab to test different formats and, if they work, transplant them over to the Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Daroxtar wrote: »

Just wait for the Giro and real Vuelta ..I think they will be cracking too

Hope they can go ahead

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Just wait for the Giro and real Vuelta ..I think they will be cracking too

Hope they can go ahead

A lot of high mountains esp in Nov for the Vuelta, snow could be an issue.

Inquitus wrote: »

They'll have to be starting the stages earlier too won't they? otherwise daylight would be a problem. Stages would need to finishing what? no later than 3pm our time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

They'll have to be starting the stages earlier too won't they? otherwise daylight would be a problem. Stages would need to finishing what? no later than 3pm our time?

There's been a few night finishes for the Vuelta if I remember correctly, or else late in the evening at sunset. Not too big a deal if roads are lit up by cars and motorbikes or else urban areas. Cooler conditions should help the riders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

donfers wrote: »
    Sam just 17 seconds behind Griepel in the GC, while the green jersey is important it would send a marker down if he could overhaul the gorilla

Would you mind explaining that for those of us new to watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Great day for Sam, took some more points off Sagan and stayed in the race.

Stage 19 allegedly favours Sagan but he hasn't won a race in something like 18 months and can't see him starting now.

Tomorrows stage doesn't look as difficult as today and intermediate sprint is early so Sam could gain points again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ice could be a very big issue no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

keane2097 wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining that for those of us new to watching?

It has no significance in the race for Green, or any other award for that matter, just a marker of how Sam is improving & maturing and Greipel is ageing I presume he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Tomorrows stage doesn't look as difficult as today and intermediate sprint is early so Sam could gain points again.

For me tomorrow is a really dangerous stage. There is a climb right at the start so the heavy guys could be chasing all day . If there is GC action the time limit could be a problem, 4000m of climbing. My guess is that the Grupetto will start from the second climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Would love to see Sepp Kuss lead a team . He looks impressive

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Would love to see Sepp Kuss lead a team . He looks impressive

He's my man of the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's going to be great, like when the Vuelta was at it's proper time of the year!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Eamonnator wrote: »
    He's my man of the Tour.

Hes been fantastic but its hard to look past Wout Van Aert, beating sprinters in sprint stages, absolutely killing thoroughbred climbers in the mountains,along with Martin and Domoulin pulling the peleton along like a train day after day over all sorts of terrain, he can do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dcully wrote: »
    Hes been fantastic but its hard to look past Wout Van Aert, beating sprinters in sprint stages, absolutely killing thoroughbred climbers in the mountains,along with Martin and Domoulin pulling the peleton along like a train day after day over all sorts of terrain, he can do it all.

Martin is still some diesel. Wouldn't be surprised to see him giving the world's TT a good bash

I think Martins best TT days are behind him but he's still able to pull out a result. He's dominated the nationals in the last decade. Only missed out once and likely the only reason he's not won this year is because they haven't had them yet.

Didn't he take GC in the Rás back in the day too?

Great interview with Nico on the Breakaway tonight. Not quite sure why the mask maybe they were on the bus and thats a thing but really insightful as to where he's at.

Reminds me of Cav looking great in his role in the early races this year in the middle east as a road captian.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yes he was eliminated. Outside time limit, Jens Debusschere.

Debusschere sacrificed his TdF in order to keep Coquard in the race by waiting for him on the Col de Madeleine. What a team mate; chapeau. Cycling is an amazing sport

Debusschere sacrificed his TdF in order to keep Coquard in the race by waiting for him on the Col de Madeleine. What a team mate; chapeau. Cycling is an amazing sport

Coquard will miss him on Sunday in the sprint.

He's my man of the Tour.

What about Wout Van Aert?

• Advertisement
Advertisement