Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

breeding ews

• 16-09-2020 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

hello all

i keep nine sheep on less than two acres surrounding the house , kids love having them and saves having a huge lawn mower

bought these as weaned lambs in august 2019 for 95 euro when they weighed 46kg

they were sheared in early june and have done really well , not about making a huge profit but was wondering , how late could i leave it to sell them as breeders ?

they could do with grazing the field down a little bit more , they are getting meal this past fortnight , obviously the trade is very good right now so makes sense to sell now but id like to delay as long as possible while not missing buyers who want lambs in the coming spring , dont want to buy a ram myself as not set up for baby lambs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

I think you need to sell them now. It's coming towards the end of the breeding sales season, especially for lowland breeds. They should make at least 180 and if they are real strong possibly another 20, the longer you keep them the less buyers there will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

You could wait for another month, maybe the 2th week of Oct, price may be as strong by then. I purchase broken mouths and they are often stronger in late Sep, early October. You could always buy more lambs anyway if you sell earlier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    hello all

i keep nine sheep on less than two acres surrounding the house , kids love having them and saves having a huge lawn mower

bought these as weaned lambs in august 2019 for 95 euro when they weighed 46kg

they were sheared in early june and have done really well , not about making a huge profit but was wondering , how late could i leave it to sell them as breeders ?

they could do with grazing the field down a little bit more , they are getting meal this past fortnight , obviously the trade is very good right now so makes sense to sell now but id like to delay as long as possible while not missing buyers who want lambs in the coming spring , dont want to buy a ram myself as not set up for baby lambs

I would say sell now, could wait another 2 or 3 weeks but most farmers will want them a couple of weeks before running with a ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sold them , got 158 euro , not a great price but not like i had fifty of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not terribly important but i think title of thread should have read breeding hogetts rather than ewes ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement