Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with working from home (WIFI + LEAD)?

Options
  • 16-09-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey everybody I’m not sure where to post this but I am stressing out, I have gotten a job to work from home and I couldn’t be happier, I have been unemployed since March.

I still live at home with my parents. Apparently the desktop they send me needs to be plugged into my wifi box with a ethernet cable lead they also send.

Problem is I will be working from my bedroom, I have bought a desk and chair etc and made it into a workspace for myself. I cannot run a lead down my stairs into the living room and into the back of the WiFi box. My parents would go mad and it wouldn’t even be that long.

I thought of having my own WiFi box in the bedroom and not using my parents. I have rang up Vodafone and told them the situation, he suggested that I could get a dongle or something like this .. and plug it into my wall and I can connect the lead that way to the desktop.

He is sending it out to my address, the first two weeks are free and if I want to keep it, it will cost 40 euro a month. Did I get the right thing ??

I have searched everywhere for answers to this and can’t find anything, hopefully somebody can help me because I need this job. Very confused about this lead business..

I can’t work in the living room because my parents use that too please help 😅

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Why would it matter how the PC is connected to the router?

Whether an ethernet cable is used, or wi-fi, why would the employer have any interest in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Prinnydtt1

Geuze wrote: »
    Why would it matter how the PC is connected to the router?

Whether an ethernet cable is used, or wi-fi, why would the employer have any interest in that?

I really don't know :/ She said its because sometimes wifi can be dropped or something.

I really don't know :/ She said its because sometimes WiFi can be dropped. Google says they are used to connect a computer to a router while offering improved speed and stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

It sounds like your employer doesn't want you to use WiFi. The desktop will probably not have a wireless adapter, and if you used one, you might be in breach of your company's rules.

A simple solution could be Powerline adapters. You would need a kit (comes with 2 adapters). You plug one of them in a wall socket close to the WiFi router, and connect a cable from the router to the plug. Similarly, the other one gets plugged into a wall socket close to the desktop, and another cable to connect the desktop to the plug. This way, your desktop will be "wired" to the WiFi router.

For more information, see this article. The images are particularly helpful to understand how to set it up.

Amazon has many of these kits for sale. I've been using Devolo, TPLink, and even Buffalo (these also include WiFi extender), and they're all working together.

I would be using my WiFi the eternet lead would just need to be connected to the box, a lot have mentioned the powerlines, I'm going to YouTube a few videos, hopefully I can figure it out, thank you so much I literally had no idea:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Prinnydtt1 wrote: »
    I would be using my WiFi the eternet lead would just need to be connected to the box, a lot have mentioned the powerlines, I'm going to YouTube a few videos, hopefully I can figure it out, thank you so much I literally had no idea:)

As others said the power line adapters are all you need. I'd buy a basic pair which you can pick up in most electrical shops or on Amazon (I like Devolo). The setup is plug and play and you will be up and running as quickly as it takes to plug in the adapters.

526594.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Prinnydtt1 wrote: »
    I thought of having my own WiFi box in the bedroom and not using my parents. I have rang up Vodafone and told them the situation, he suggested that I could get a dongle or something like this .. and plug it into my wall and I can connect the lead that way to the desktop.

He is sending it out to my address, the first two weeks are free and if I want to keep it, it will cost 40 euro a month. Did I get the right thing ??

You won’t be able to connect the lead to a dongle, so send that back when it comes and save yourself €40 a month.

What other posters are suggesting are like air freshener plug ins. They come in pairs, so you plug one in down beside the WiFi box in the living room, and the other into a plug socket in your bedroom. They work by connecting to each other over the electric circuit in your home, so no need to have a lead trailing from your bedroom down to the living room. It’s all neat and tidy - the Wi-Fi box connects to the plug down in the living room, and the desktop connects to the plug in the bedroom, with the lead you have.

Advertisement