Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer - Home Use

Options
  • 16-09-2020 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend one?? Looking for something handy and cheap - just for home use and to print out A4....

I see a few printers online for 50/60 Euro....Concerned they might not be great quality considering the price?

Any thoughts? Not looking to spend more than 100 shall we say....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

A cheap printer is generally a crap printer, but the real thing is the costs of refill cartridges.
    If it's a color printer you'll pay more for your first set of replacement cartridges than you did for the printer.
    Be aware that the cartridges that come with the printer will contain far less ink than normal, and are likely listed as "sample" or "demo" cartridges.

Long story short: If you need to print a lot, then a printer for under €100 will cost you three times that in a year.

If you need to print a little once, and can then forget about it then grab a €50 throwaway.

If you need to print a little every so often for a long period of time then print services are worth looking at.

If you need to print a lot, regularly for a lengthy period then going cheap is a bad plan. Checking out one of the "Printer + Refill" deals is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,594 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You should get a good Canon 3in1 for about €70-€80. Tesco usually have them in the larger stores. Where they kill you is the price of ink cartridges but same for all brands.

I'd get one with WiFi, it's handy when printing from multiple devices even smartphones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

After years of cheap mostly Canon printers with expensive ink (even using Amazon non branded ink), went with an HP laser jet.

Cost more at €150 but doesn't chew through ink (is also B&W only which is fine for my WFH), has WiFi printing, scanner and copier etc.

What Markfinn said is true, it's a real false economy buying a cheap ass printer. Ink/toner is more expensive than blood for a lot of models.

I've an Epson ecotank which is relatively cheap for refills and uses much less ink than a standard one. Think I've bought one full replacement set in 2 years for about €75. The printer was dearer than others (€200+ but you can get models for 150 or so), but saved a fortune on ink alone.

Edit: sorry, that should be €45 not 75.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you don't need colour (and sometimes even when you do) laser works out much cheaper if you are printing more than the odd thing.

PowerCity have a basic one for just under 100 euro at the moment. It would come with toner. Replacements (for 1300-1400 pages) cost 30-45 euro depending on whether you go with the brand name or a substitute.

Much cheaper than inkjet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I appreciate the replies - thank you.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Picked up a second-hand office colour laser printer from an office supplies a few years ago for under €100. Haven't looked back since!

As long as space isn't an issue and you're happy filling toner cartridges on an occasional basis, it works out dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Sorry folks I have a stupid question here....Are you saying some printers don’t print in colour??!! Long time since I bought a printer and just used one in office - I presumed they all print in colour?

Looking at the below...

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/hp-laserjet-pro-m28w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10183892-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Sorry folks I have a stupid question here....Are you saying some printers don’t print in colour??!! Long time since I bought a printer and just used one in office - I presumed they all print in colour?

People will (seemingly) pay even more for overpriced colour cartridges than they will for overpriced black cartridges, so most of the "cheap" scam printers are indeed color only. (Particularly evil are the combined cartridges where once the magenta run out it'll refuse to print simple black).

Monochrome printers still exist, but are generally higher grade/office grade systems where speed and cheap bulk capacity are more important than initial printer price.

Advertisement