Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-cam setup for online teaching.

Options
  • 16-09-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

Could use a bit of advice on setting up a system I suspect is possible, but that I can't figure out in my non-tech head.

I'll be teaching online for the forseeable (music), and have all the bits necessary to set up a multi-cam system, which would be really useful. This will hopefully comprise the laptop's webcam as a talk-to device, and two other cameras for demonstration. I have two Canon DSLRs and all necessary cabling etc. Canon recently released a nice utility, which allows most of their cameras to be used as webcams through Zoom etc. Works really well, but Zoom will only recognise one external camera input. I also have a HDMI capture card, but neither camera outputs a clean HDMI signal, so I'm stuck with all the Camera LCD info if I use that. And of course Zoom will recognise that as my one allowed external camera....

So.... the question.....

Is there a switchable USB splitter device that will allow me to alternate between the two DSLRs into one USB port? I've found plenty that will do the job in the other direction, ie one device to two computers, but the best I can come up with a is a simple USB hub. This might work but would involve a load of faffing about with turning cameras on and off, and life is complicated enough at the moment!

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Especially any that don't break the bank or involve soldering!

Edit: Would this do the trick? https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If not mistaking, switching USB ports ON/OFF might introduce blackout interval till camera recognized by Win.

Research OBS, I have not used it but look promising

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If not mistaking, switching USB ports ON/OFF might introduce blackout interval till camera recognized by Win.

Research OBS, I have not used it but look promising

I got as far as downloading OBS over the weekend. Looks like a lot of learning for the simple functionality I’d need.

lookup Tube, there is few tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

You want everything plugged in at once and on.

Obvious with teams/ zoom you can switch manually between cameras but there would be a 5sec blackout between cameras.

OBS would work you tell it what camera you want and where.
    Logitech have a similar free software but only for Logitech cameras.

Install a driver to let zoom/teams see OBS/logitech as a selectable camera.

Otherwise you need a video switcher for HDMI devices HDMI to usb capture and a video switcher.
    (But that's breaking the bank!)

endacl wrote: »
    I got as far as downloading OBS over the weekend. Looks like a lot of learning for the simple functionality I’d need.
    Teacher also need to learn.... :D

• Advertisement

Teacher also need to learn.... :D

Indeed. I’ll stick to learning the stuff I’m interested in though. Aim 1 is to minimise the amount of setup and hassle involved. If it’s over complicated I’ll stick to the old ‘just move the camera’ method.

Not aiming for broadcast quality here!

Indeed. I’ll stick to learning the stuff I’m interested in though. Aim 1 is to minimise the amount of setup and hassle involved. If it’s over complicated I’ll stick to the old ‘just move the camera’ method.

Not aiming for broadcast quality here!
    Sure thing, as you will. Work environment does matter. :D
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

As it is boards.ie it is always wise to give you a budget busting option and that is the Blackmagic Atem Mini which can take 4 HDMI inputs and make them selectable a the press of a button. You also have the option the select separate audio inputs for each camera/video source. This wont solve your clean hdmi issue but gives you multiple camera options
    Blackmagic-ATEM-Mini-Pro-2.jpg?fit=1024%2C768&ssl=1
    As with most streaming recording equipment, they are scarce and the second hand market is full of price gouging but they are due back in stock soon.
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini

Sorry the image above is the Atem Mini Pro which has a few extra features but the standard ATEM mini is very similar and cheaper €260+vat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he doesn't get clean hdmi from his cameras and the 3rd camera is a webcam which wouldn't work with the atem

OBS as mentioned above will work fine for what OP needs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Use your phone/iPad/tablet as additional camera on a separate zoom account or plug your camera into that?

• Advertisement

...and this is 260+vat vs free. Worth a shot I'd say...

Life’s gonna be much simpler when I’m back in the classroom. :(

:pac:

Life’s gonna be much simpler when I’m back in the classroom. :(

:pac:
    :D you sure about that? mask whole day? i thought its "OK" before i had to do it for 4h (one day only!)- damn it takes to get use to ...

:D you sure about that? mask whole day? i thought its "OK" before i had to do it for 4h (one day only!)- damn it takes to get use to ...
    Shouldn't be too bad. I'm in 30 minute slots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Use hdmi get hdmi capture card then powered hdmi splitter
    It comes with remote to go to differant cameras

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Use hdmi get hdmi capture card then powered hdmi splitter
    It comes with remote to go to differant cameras

No clean HDNI output.

Advertisement