Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo re-potted and dying

Options
  • 16-09-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Bi I'm wondering if any keen gardeners have any help on this one. We had to dig up our bamboo as it was starting to take over the garden. We cut it down from maybe what seemed like 20 foot to 7/8 foot in height. dug out the roots and planted into very large plant pots. Gave lots of water. Then watered every few days. The leaves of the black bamboo are starting to turn yellow and I'm worried they are dying. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just carry on with what you are doing. I had the same experience and while the top died back, it came on again no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Clairze

thats great thank you for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Bamboo is really just a fancy type of grass- so even if you cut it back it will regrow, once the roots are treated ok. You don't mention if you have drip trays under the pots (or if they have drainage at all)- either can lead to parching or drowning respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Clairze

thanks for your comment. I have them in very large potted containers which have drainage holes. i have them just on the soil at present. was thinking of putting paving slabs under each one so that roots dont spread.
    thanks for the advice, breathing a sigh of relief now! Would hate for them to die. they provide such lovely screens and cost a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Clairze wrote: »
    thanks for your comment. I have them in very large potted containers which have drainage holes. i have them just on the soil at present. was thinking of putting paving slabs under each one so that roots dont spread.
    thanks for the advice, breathing a sigh of relief now! Would hate for them to die. they provide such lovely screens and cost a fortune!

they're quite the investment alright!

• Advertisement
Advertisement