Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extending setup

• 16-09-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

OK so cancelled Eir today and signed up with Vodafone 1000mbps plan should have installed next week. My router is positioned at 1 end of the house and I currently have one of those BT plug in extenders up the other end but its not great.

Is there a way I can transfer high speed up that end of the house? I heard about adding another Access point but have no idea what I need to do to set that up so if someone could explain or talk me through the best option that would be great. I don't mind having to run cat5 up in the attic either thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Bets way to achieve max speed, to my opinion, would be to connect devices over Ethernet cable. For this, if your household does not have Ethernet to each room - run Cat6(5e getting obsolete) over attic to the destination room and introduce 5/8 port switch - all P-n-P. Then wire devices from that switch. From same switch you can extend your WiFi with AP(if required).
    If looking for WiFi only, can install AP in the attic right above/close room in question.
    Pick you option and reply for further instructions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I have a TP Link Wifi Extender that i find very good, and might be worth a few quid before spending money on running cable
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/wifi-range-extenders/tp-link-re200-wifi-range-extender-ac-750-dual-band-10024654-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=wrwtplqrr&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAjwkoz7BRBPEiwAeKw3q0E55gwlMh--6-jQfsAihbR2rmTSQU2XriOlUw97sufNi7Y6VqVlbBoCooAQAvD_BwE

There is a sweet spot in positioning these things and an app to help you get it configured and placed in sweet-spot. I have my router at the front of the house, the Wifi extender near the back of the house and now I have pretty good wifi in most of the back garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Bets way to achieve max speed, to my opinion, would be to connect devices over Ethernet cable. For this, if your household does not have Ethernet to each room - run Cat6(5e getting obsolete) over attic to the destination room and introduce 5/8 port switch - all P-n-P. Then wire devices from that switch. From same switch you can extend your WiFi with AP(if required).
    If looking for WiFi only, can install AP in the attic right above/close room in question.

agree for best wifi coverage blanket the house in APs for max coverage, the supplied routers are ok but depends on location of the router and shape of the house, if you can move the router centrally that be ideal otherwise do the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Wired connections are obviously better, but if it’s for general WiFi connectivity and running a cable is easy enough, maybe do that and then connect it to a router that can act as an access point out of the box for an easy setup. Something like that could be probably done for 50 quid or so. You could even use the router as a switch if needed for wired connections

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Aato

This is what I'm looking for yes, I want to wire the TV by Ethernet but I also want good WiFi speeds up that end so I need a 5/8 port switch and an access point wired to the switch?

Whats a good 5/8 port switch and AP?

• Advertisement

Aato wrote: »
    This is what I'm looking for yes, I want to wire the TV by Ethernet but I also want good WiFi speeds up that end so I need a 5/8 port switch and an access point wired to the switch?

Whats a good 5/8 port switch and AP?
    2 options:
    1. TP link or Netgear, 108 model (308 probably good as well) + good brand AP, look into Ubiquiti
    2. just get ordinary consumer grade router(might be have one ready, Adverts for a ~tenner...) and configure to act as AP(set static IP and disable DHCP) - you will get x3Eth ports as one used to connect to main router, and WiFi on it.

2 options:
    1. TP link or Netgear, 108 model (308 probably good as well) + good brand AP, look into Ubiquiti
    2. just get ordinary consumer grade router(might be have one ready, Adverts for a ~tenner...) and configure to act as AP(set static IP and disable DHCP) - you will get x3Eth ports as one used to connect to main router, and WiFi on it.

OK so how about
    Netgear Prosafe GS108 - 8 Ports and a Ubiquiti UAP either UAP, UAP LR or the pro?

So I need to run cat 6 from my router into attic and up to other end of house drop down into where I want to put my 8 port switch, run ethernet from switch into TV and another ethernet into Ubiquiti UAP and I'm done?

OK so how about
    Netgear Prosafe GS108 - 8 Ports and a Ubiquiti UAP either UAP, UAP LR or the pro?

So I need to run cat 6 from my router into attic and up to other end of house drop down into where I want to put my 8 port switch, run ethernet from switch into TV and another ethernet into Ubiquiti UAP and I'm done?
    That sums it up.
    Some config to be done on AP, but nothing to complex and tutorials like this or similar on tube
    For best performance make sure you go for AC range https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ac/
    When purchasing ensure PoE brick is included(usually in the kit), as this is only way to power them up unless you get PoE switch or go for a bundle, you can use this switch for TV an other devices, no need for additional.

I am using Cisco AP's so don't know what is "real life" performance difference by Uni models. It also depend on your environment (area , walls). Believe some one will comment or lookup on G

That sums it up.
    Some config to be done on AP, but nothing to complex and tutorials like this or similar on tube
    For best performance make sure you go for AC range https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ac/
    When purchasing ensure PoE brick is included(usually in the kit), as this is only way to power them up unless you get PoE switch or go for a bundle, you can use this switch for TV an other devices, no need for additional.

I am using Cisco AP's so don't know what is "real life" performance difference by Uni models. It also depend on your environment (area , walls). Believe some one will comment or lookup on G

Thats great thanks Vodafone are installing 1000mbps on Monday so after that I will order that whole setup. Any ideas where I can buy most of it? Will need about 30 metre cat6 cable too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Thats great thanks Vodafone are installing 1000mbps on Monday so after that I will order that whole setup. Any ideas where I can buy most of it? Will need about 30 metre cat6 cable too

Would Vodafone engineers drill additional holes in the rear room wall thereby allowing you run cables along outside of house directly to anf from Vodafone router.

You could hide cables along gutters or in an electrical conduit of some sort

• Advertisement

Before commitment, i would recommend to view and understand whats involved with UniFi. To configure AP you will need to install controller. In turn that requires Java. There is way to configure AP from mobile app - no controller. Other options available

For Ethernet cable shop in local electrical wholesaler if can crimp yourself
    Course you can order all online, Amazon or alike ready made. Dont run to short, its better 5m longer than 20cm short

Before commitment, i would recommend to view and understand whats involved with UniFi. To configure AP you will need to install controller. In turn that requires Java. There is way to configure AP from mobile app - no controller. Other options available

For Ethernet cable shop in local electrical wholesaler if can crimp yourself
    Course you can order all online, Amazon or alike ready made. Dont run to short, its better 5m longer than 20cm short

I don't have a laptop so I'd have to use a mobile app to configure it.

Seen this on Amazon would this be the ideal setup?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG

Where it says single change to AP + POE switch.

That is exact what i have linked in post #9
    And this is comparison of AC range - review, make your choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

put router in middle.of house or get better router
    every access point you add slows down internet

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    every access point you add slows down internet
    Would you care to elaborate

That is exact what i have linked in post #9
    And this is comparison of AC range - review, make your choice.

Silly me I didn't realise you had already linked that one. Yeah I think I'll go with that one with probably a 30 metre cat 6 cable and that should sort me.

I think the Lite version should be enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Sorry to hijack thread.
    I have a similar issue, in that my house is small but every wall is solid and the WiFi signal is non existent upstairs. We had Virgin with modem in the living room but recently changed to Vodafone Siro and it's now in the entrance hallway, this didn't help unfortunately.
    I bought a TP powerline extender which works in my son's room but only as his Xbox is connected by cable to it.
    Still no WiFi upstairs

Is there a company or individual I could hire to install the cable you discussed here? I genuinely wouldn't have a clue where to start or what to even ask for, most of what you've mentioned has gone right over my head !! ��

Advertisement