Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FPL Wildcard Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Well since Fabinho has gone back into midfield it is 3 wins from 3 all with clean sheets. Given the disastrous run of form before that I’d say it’s a clear improvement!

None of those wins were at Anfield though. Still to be seen if they can get that monkey off their backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

JPup wrote: »
    Well since Fabinho has gone back into midfield it is 3 wins from 3 all with clean sheets. Given the disastrous run of form before that I’d say it’s a clear improvement!

None of those wins were at Anfield though. Still to be seen if they can get that monkey off their backs.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't in any way suggesting the opposite or that you were wrong, just it seems to me at least anyway that it is far too early to say definitively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s a long time since Liverpool kept a clean sheet at Anfield and Villa scored 7 in the reverse fixture.

Saying that, Liverpool are clearly improving recently so this could be the week they turn around their home form.

I think Liverpool will beat us with ease next week. We were blessed yesterday and Liverpool will be playing that game with a serious chip on their shoulder.

3 Liverpool players feels like the way forward for a wildcarder. Jota and Phillips allow that to be a thing while keeping money to do all the other things you’d want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

CSF wrote: »
    I think Liverpool will beat us with ease next week. We were blessed yesterday and Liverpool will be playing that game with a serious chip on their shoulder.

3 Liverpool players feels like the way forward for a wildcarder. Jota and Phillips allow that to be a thing while keeping money to do all the other things you’d want to do.

Phillips a guaranteed starter going forwards?

Guaranteed might be a strong word, but I feel like he is a starter now yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Are they? Beating an Arsenal team that look to be both a shambles and focusing on the EPL is hardly conclusive evidence. Loosing to Fulham and scraping past Wolves is hardly evidence either.

Liverpool fan here. There’s been a significant improvement in performance since the Fulham game. The movement of Fabinho back to midfield, playing with 2 actual CBs and the return of Jota have made a huge difference.

I’ll be bringing in 3 on my WC given the fixtures and the possibility of still getting top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Guaranteed might be a strong word, but I feel like he is a starter now yeah.

Think Klopp has finally realized that playing 2 recognized CB and having Fabinho in midfield works and gives better balance to the team.

I think if on WC, Philips at 4.0 is a steal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Until Henderson returns anyways. Then there will be questions about who drops out.

I brought in Kabak myself a few weeks ago, 1.0m more but he is more nailed than Philips is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭skippy15

My problem is now I can only bring in 3, Salah Jota TAA and Philips all on my wish list, but even at that amazing value Philips might be one to miss out,

To be honest, if Foden doesn’t start against Dortmund, I’d be real tempted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Will you ever play Areola? If not might as well go to 4.0m keeper - unless you have BB left?

Shaw > AWB and is cheaper

KdB - returns don't justify the price or rotation risk. Salah as similarly price is better shout imo - chasing top 4 and not unlikely to be rotated.

Given that you have DCL and he'll have a double at some stage - would you not be keen to keep him? Everton have an outside chance of top 4 - win both games in hand and they will be 4th - surely that's an incentive for DCL and co to go full steam ahead, fixtures aren't great though. Maybe Ricky would be better alternative but if they win tomorrow night, then I think one of them should be in a WC team.

This game is exactly why I'm not thinking about DCL. He's wasteful and a pain in the hole to own. You were right earlier in the season to want rid of him. i was wrong. I backed the wrong pony and it pwnt me

I’m thinking now of holding off the wildcard until gw 33 or maybe even 34. I’m happy enough with my team for this week and if I wildcard now I’d be inclined to sell all my city players. Leeds at home is a plum fixture so might just sit tight.

I hate the feeling when your old team would have outscored your wildcard team on week 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I’m thinking now of holding off the wildcard until gw 33 or maybe even 34. I’m happy enough with my team for this week and if I wildcard now I’d be inclined to sell all my city players. Leeds at home is a plum fixture so might just sit tight.

I hate the feeling when your old team would have outscored your wildcard team on week 1.

I feel not too dissimilar, but behind in my ML with a similar team to the lad who is MILES ahead of me so why not!

Looking at the following

GK

Mendy and Forster (pretty set on this - only alternative is Sanchez/Ederson but €€€)

DEF

Rudiger, TAA, Philips, Castagne, Masuaku

MID

Jota, Fernandes, Lingard, Mount, City Mid (to become Son)

FWD

Vardy, Nacho, Kane

Main ones I am unsure about are Castagne, Vardy, Mount pretty set on the rest at the moment.

Is Ihanacho/Kane too skinny a front line.

I am keeping a spot for him, Mahrez or dare I say it Aguero...

I am keeping a spot for him, Mahrez or dare I say it Aguero...

Yea I'd be tempted by them for the game against Leeds, but not sure if would want them in a WC team as any of them are transfers waiting to happen.

Yea I'd be tempted by them for the game against Leeds, but not sure if would want them in a WC team as any of them are transfers waiting to happen.

One of the mids goes to Son straight after for the double, or Aguero to Vardy

Jlingz finding his way back into wildcard drafts now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Martinez/Forster
    Dias shaw Philips cresswell sanchez(tot)
    Bruno lingard kdb jota maddison
    Kane nacho bamford

3.9 in the bank.

Getting closer to the team I want.

After the double I can cheapen Sanchez and get another heavy hitter in midfield or up front

Kev to become salah. Maddison to become son probably also for the dgw. Maddi coming in for son right afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jlingz finding his way back into wildcard drafts now

Yeah he's giving me a real decision to make now. Probably impossible to leave out now.

Seeing a lot of drafts with 2 or 3 Leicesters, at the moment I only have Iheanacho, maybe need to revisit

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah he's giving me a real decision to make now. Probably impossible to leave out now.

Seeing a lot of drafts with 2 or 3 Leicesters, at the moment I only have Iheanacho, maybe need to revisit
    I can see myself having both Iheanacho and Vardy. Those fixtures are so good and Iheanacho so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

First WC draft picked
    Mendy/Forestor
    Dias TAA Holding Castagne Shaw
    Bruno Jota Son Mount Neto
    Kane DCL Nacho

Unsure on Dias/Holding/Son/DCL at present, would prefer a City attacker for this GW and Son the week after but Pep roulette.

I can see myself having both Iheanacho and Vardy. Those fixtures are so good and Iheanacho so cheap.

What is it about Vardy lads? 1 goal in his last 13 games - what am i missing?

I can understand Nacho - cheap as chips, and playing well, but Vardy has no form at all - Chris Wood at Burnely's fixtures are probably just as good but he actually knows where the net is.

Lacazette has Sheffield United and Fulham next and is in goal scoring mood.

Granted there's not much else - but Vardy?:eek:

First WC draft picked
    Mendy/Forestor
    Dias TAA Holding Castagne Shaw
    Bruno Jota Son Mount Neto
    Kane DCL Nacho

Unsure on Dias/Holding/Son/DCL at present, would prefer a City attacker for this GW and Son the week after but Pep roulette.

At 4m and playing i think Phillips should be in the team - especially as your of the opinion that TAA is worth it (presume on basis of attacking + CS basis).
    Could Neto become Foden for a punt this week?

If DCL didn't have a double i would say get rid, but maybe he's a hold with it?

At 4m and playing i think Phillips should be in the team - especially as your of the opinion that TAA is worth it (presume on basis of attacking + CS basis).
    Could Neto become Foden for a punt this week?

If DCL didn't have a double i would say get rid, but maybe he's a hold with it?

I think TAA will be able to become more of a force with Fabinho back in midfield, not sure on Phillips from what I've seen. Foden is a good shout, will see how the CL game goes for who starts.

With DCL I feel if he gets 1/2 goals then his confidence will improve and he'll score plenty. Also dont see many better options at that price range, had Bamford the last while and felt wrong to sell him but might get him back in a few weeks.

I can understand Nacho - cheap as chips, and playing well, but Vardy has no form at all - Chris Wood at Burnely's fixtures are probably just as good but he actually knows where the net is.

It is that lack of options - and Laca could be very easily rested for Europa.

Vardy has a great run, is on pens and is a sure starter. Also set up for a nice nostaliga switch to Kun for the last few

Yeah I'm also not getting the Vardy love personally, though it's true the striking options are limited. I think I'll be setting up for a 3-5-2 most weeks.

I'm currently on Kane, Iheanacho and Vydra. Vydra is 4.8 and looks to have a starting spot now. 2 goals and 1 assist in the last 5 so a bit of form, not the worst for a 4.8 and possibly justifies the extra half million or so over Brewster/Davis.

May well change however depending on other decisions, might need to hold back some funds to consider bringing Son back for GW 32.

When do we think Everton/Villa are playing? Is there a consideration of keeping one or two of their players in the back pocket for when their double comes along? Villa also have a nice fixture in 33 to cover the Spurs blanks. Already sold Konsa but now thinking of bringing him back in. Though the fixtures aren't great and maybe 4.7 is that little bit too high for someone I'll be benching almost every week bar maybe 3 matches from here on out

I defo get the argument, I’m not 100% set on it, but the fixtures are so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Finally hit the button. Previous squad was

Meslier(Pope)
    Dias Cresswell Alonso(Konsa, Aina)
    Bruno Lingard Lookman Son (Trossard)
    Kane Bamford Antonio

First draft is:
    Mendy(Pope)
    Dias Cresswell Shaw(James,Dallas)
    Bruno Lingard Jota Son (Tielemans)
    Kane Bamford Iheanacho

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah I'm also not getting the Vardy love personally, though it's true the striking options are limited. I think I'll be setting up for a 3-5-2 most weeks.

I'm currently on Kane, Iheanacho and Vydra. Vydra is 4.8 and looks to have a starting spot now. 2 goals and 1 assist in the last 5 so a bit of form, not the worst for a 4.8 and possibly justifies the extra half million or so over Brewster/Davis.

May well change however depending on other decisions, might need to hold back some funds to consider bringing Son back for GW 32.

When do we think Everton/Villa are playing? Is there a consideration of keeping one or two of their players in the back pocket for when their double comes along? Villa also have a nice fixture in 33 to cover the Spurs blanks. Already sold Konsa but now thinking of bringing him back in. Though the fixtures aren't great and maybe 4.7 is that little bit too high for someone I'll be benching almost every week bar maybe 3 matches from here on out
    Where are you using the money saved with having 2 cheap strikers? My feeling that bar Salah and maybe Bruno, the price of the midfielders to own has gone down in a big way.

Son has deteriorated to nothing with very little prospect of improvement with the situation at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Where are you using the money saved with having 2 cheap strikers? My feeling that bar Salah and maybe Bruno, the price of the midfielders to own has gone down in a big way.

Son has deteriorated to nothing with very little prospect of improvement with the situation at Spurs.

I'd love to ditch Son this week, but feel I should hold him for at least the upcoming double week.

Going with TAA over Phillips which is taking up some funds compared to other teams on here.

For midfield I'm currently on Bruno and Salah for big hitters, and then pencilling in Son for the DGW with a one week punt on Mahrez before that (if he doesn't start midweek).

It's definitely a decent point you make on Son, but he is a proven player and does have big points in him. His form just before injury wasn't awful with a couple of double digit hauls. And I'm not sure if Vardy/Lacazette are better options when he has a double. Spurs only have the league to focus on too and are well in with a CL spot should, I probably wouldn't invest so strongly if they were in Europa.

Seems to be the toughest area on this wildcard anyway and the one causing most debate - which 8-10m forward or midfielder to choose.

markc91 wrote: »
    Finally hit the button. Previous squad was

Meslier(Pope)
    Dias Cresswell Alonso(Konsa, Aina)
    Bruno Lingard Lookman Son (Trossard)
    Kane Bamford Antonio

First draft is:
    Mendy(Pope)
    Dias Cresswell Shaw(James,Dallas)
    Bruno Lingard Jota Son (Tielemans)
    Kane Bamford Iheanacho

Any thoughts?

Not sure that team needed to be WC'd tbh.

You've basically done:
    Meslier - Mendy
    Alonso - Shaw
    Konsa - James,
    Aina - Dallas
    Lookman - Jota
    Trossard - Tielemans
    Antonio - Nacho

Granted some of them were injured, but i feel that you didn't really pick up much that justified using the WC? 3 of the players you bought in you have earmarked for the bench.

You've basically done:
    Meslier - Mendy
    Alonso - Shaw
    Konsa - James,
    Aina - Dallas
    Lookman - Jota
    Trossard - Tielemans
    Antonio - Nacho

Granted some of them were injured, but i feel that you didn't really pick up much that justified using the WC? 3 of the players you bought in you have earmarked for the bench.

There are only 7 games left though, and 6/7 are clear upgrades, especially over the next few games.

It's all team dependent, personally I have 50 points to make up, so need to play early to get benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

You've basically done:
    Meslier - Mendy
    Alonso - Shaw
    Konsa - James,
    Aina - Dallas
    Lookman - Jota
    Trossard - Tielemans
    Antonio - Nacho

There are only 7 games left though, and 6/7 are clear upgrades, especially over the next few games.

It's all team dependent, personally I have 50 points to make up, so need to play early to get benefit

Yeah I get what your saying Ace however I’ve 60 points to make up in main ML and need a few differentials. This week I do have a few earmarked for the bench but going forward I plan on using all 15 at some stage.

There are a few I’m debating over mainly Son & Bamford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Heard an interesting suggestion on the WGTA podcast of swapping Martinez for Mendy as a differential.

Logic was that Villa have tailed off and the Chelsea defence (weekend aside) would score better for the rest of the year.

I still have my WC to play so on the lookout for picks like that with low ownership

Well, that’s that one gone now.. I could do Sterling but to be honest I won’t. Too expensive to be diverting that amount of funds out of the rest of my team.

Aguero v Leeds - the possibilities

Wonder should folk be worried that Jota won't start v Villa now after starting tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Aguero v Leeds - the possibilities

Wonder should folk be worried that Jota won't start v Villa now after starting tonight.

it's all a bit of a guessing game at this stage.

Liverpool could be on the way out of the CL tonight. Yes Firmino might start.

Jesus could lead the line for City.

I wish I knew. And a Friday night start makes it tougher trying to find out late injury updates

steve_r wrote:
    Heard an interesting suggestion on the WGTA podcast of swapping Martinez for Mendy as a differential.

steve_r wrote:
    Logic was that Villa have tailed off and the Chelsea defence (weekend aside) would score better for the rest of the year.

steve_r wrote:
    I still have my WC to play so on the lookout for picks like that with low ownership

Most WC drafts I've seen have Mendy in goals, best way into Chelsea defemce

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Are they? Beating an Arsenal team that look to be both a shambles and focusing on the EPL is hardly conclusive evidence. Loosing to Fulham and scraping past Wolves is hardly evidence either.

Fair play with that comment. I thought Liverpool had turned a corner but they were desperate tonight. Of course, Villa aren’t Real Madrid but it’s hard to feel confident now about having double or triple Liverpool for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

Advice on the following?
    Schmeichel Forster
    Coady Saiss Dunk Philips Holding
    Salah Jota KDB Lingard Gundogan
    Vardy Kane Iheanacho
    0.3 itb
    Planning to switch KDB to Son for the double. The Man City pair are very vulnerable to rotation but chance of good returns if they play.

Fair play with that comment. I thought Liverpool had turned a corner but they were desperate tonight. Of course, Villa aren’t Real Madrid but it’s hard to feel confident now about having double or triple Liverpool for the rest of the season.

Jota and Phillips are cheap enough that you might not have to feel THAT confident though

notdarkyet wrote: »
    Advice on the following?
    Schmeichel Forster
    Coady Saiss Dunk Philips Holding
    Salah Jota KDB Lingard Gundogan
    Vardy Kane Iheanacho
    0.3 itb
    Planning to switch KDB to Son for the double. The Man City pair are very vulnerable to rotation but chance of good returns if they play.

Hard to imagine KDB plays this weekebd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CSF wrote:
    You'd have to guess that Walker, Dias, Rodri, KDB, Mahrez and potentially Jesus don't start this weekend.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You'd have to guess that Walker, Dias, Rodri, KDB, Mahrez and potentially Jesus don't start this weekend.

I wouldn’t be so sure with Dias, Rodri or Jesus. The first 2 because they play most minutes regardless of rotation. Jesus because he only played 30 mins last night.

The other 3 I definitely agree with you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ya you'd have to think Mendy/Zincenko, Laporte, Fernaldinho, Torres, Sterling & Kun/Jesus are nailed on to start.

Ya you'd have to think Mendy/Zincenko, Laporte, Fernaldinho, Torres, Sterling & Kun/Jesus are nailed on to start.
    Torres isn't favoured enough to ever be backed to start really. I reckon Zinchenko, Laporte, Sterling and Kun are the 4 that you could bet your house on starting.

Pity though - after signing new deal - what better way to celebrate it with a goal or two against leeds.

Struggling all week to pick 5 midfielders.

Money isn’t a problem.

Its 5 from the following 7 and I think this is my preferred order.

Son, Salah, Fernandes, Maddison, Lingard, Neto and Jota.

I probably should go with the first 3 and then choose 2 from Maddison, Lingard, Neto and Jota.

• Advertisement
Advertisement